or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 1609

post #24121 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I don't think so at all. I don't see any responses to support that. People are just giving their opinion of value from their perspective. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Hear, hear!
Says the "onsite legend"... I totally have been away for a bit as I just notice this a few days ago.

@tifosi is no longer The Enabler?
post #24122 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedDx View Post



Says the "onsite legend"... I totally have been away for a bit as I just notice this a few days ago.

@tifosi is no longer The Enabler?

Unofficially, Mr. "thought leader". 

post #24123 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Unofficially, Mr. "thought leader". 
Touche!

Been slow on the threads as I haven't had any new purchases... Besides a wholecut and a Nevis I'm trying to get some wear out of my shoes. Wearing a pair of RL Plymouths today and they haven't been worn I think in over half a year...
post #24124 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post

Unfortunately it appears I've struck a bit of a nerve and sincerely I apologize to you all for any offense that I may have caused.


I think you had some valid points, but Alden and EG are just different styles of footwear IMO.  I love my Alden shell makeups, but I've sold & am selling some Aldens in order to fund some EGs; both can co-exist on ones shoe rack ;) 

 

I had the same mindset that there is more 'value' in shell (which is true, monetarily/re-sell value) so why spend so much on calf leather, but then I bought a pair of 82 last doak/mink suede Galways and I was hooked; it's just at a different level of refinement that I think is a notch above Alden. Of course, this opinion will vary by us all, but it's an opinion that I didn't form until I owned & wore EG's first hand. 

 

As @tifosi said, we are all hobbyists and all love our shoes, so just buy whatever you enjoy

post #24125 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedDx View Post

Interesting to hear that the 82 last "grew" to the point of replacement. Since it was based out of the 202 (assuming the 202 were made prior to the 82), did not the 202 suffer the same fate?

Qualitatively, I do have to agree my newer shoes (Galway, Falkirk, Beaulieu) feel looser than my older shoes on the 82 (multiple Shannons, Frome, Oundle). However, I'd be hard pressed to fit into even a half size smaller though.

With the investment of new lasts on the 82, I wonder if it's safe to say that they will stay a little longer. I haven't tried out the new EG lasts...

I think you are probably right. There might be a difference but the difference in actuality isn't that great, but depending on where on the scale your foot lies may depend on heather you should now take a smaller size or not.
post #24126 of 28913
82 last it is
post #24127 of 28913
Very nice NewStart nod[1].gif
post #24128 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedDx View Post

Interesting to hear that the 82 last "grew" to the point of replacement. Since it was based out of the 202 (assuming the 202 were made prior to the 82), did not the 202 suffer the same fate?

Qualitatively, I do have to agree my newer shoes (Galway, Falkirk, Beaulieu) feel looser than my older shoes on the 82 (multiple Shannons, Frome, Oundle). However, I'd be hard pressed to fit into even a half size smaller though.

With the investment of new lasts on the 82, I wonder if it's safe to say that they will stay a little longer. I haven't tried out the new EG lasts...

I take size 6 on my two months old Chelsea 82 and they are way too snug. But when I wear my 202 Malvern, they are super comfortable. As far as I am concerned, 82 last is supposed to be elongated so it should fit me well. So it is probably right they have changed the 82 last.
post #24129 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin8451 View Post


I take size 6 on my two months old Chelsea 82 and they are way too snug. But when I wear my 202 Malvern, they are super comfortable. As far as I am concerned, 82 last is supposed to be elongated so it should fit me well. So it is probably right they have changed the 82 last.

 

I think the speculation is in the other direction, i.e. the new 82 fitting larger than the older one :)

post #24130 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStart View Post
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

82 last it is

 

amazing boots!

post #24131 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post

I was told by someone on IG that the original wooden lasts had changed in volume due to changes in temperature and moisture over the years, so those lasts were replaced with resin ones.

How are you guys sizing 890 and 888 relative to 82 and 202? Can you describe the fit of the 890, especially if you have a wide foot and high instep?


In terms of toe box room, 202 > 890 > 888 > 82

 

890 last should fit much better with wide foot & high instep than predecessor 888

 

I hope we'll see more models in 890 because of my foot shape


Edited by auci - 12/28/15 at 9:56am
post #24132 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Magat View Post


I think you had some valid points, but Alden and EG are just different styles of footwear IMO.  I love my Alden shell makeups, but I've sold & am selling some Aldens in order to fund some EGs; both can co-exist on ones shoe rack wink.gif 

I had the same mindset that there is more 'value' in shell (which is true, monetarily/re-sell value) so why spend so much on calf leather, but then I bought a pair of 82 last doak/mink suede Galways and I was hooked; it's just at a different level of refinement that I think is a notch above Alden. Of course, this opinion will vary by us all, but it's an opinion that I didn't form until I owned & wore EG's first hand. 

As @tifosi said, we are all hobbyists and all love our shoes, so just buy whatever you enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I don't think so at all. I don't see any responses to support that. People are just giving their opinion of value from their perspective. 

Ah very well, I am glad to hear that as I truly meant no offense whatsoever.

I've owned a pair of Galway's and absolutely love the styling and the overall refinement; attention to detail that dwarfs Alden by comparison. EG's quality control is phenomenal and their craft is certainly indicitive of their MSRP. Don't get me wrong, I 'get' it, I can easily understand why there is significant brand loyalty.

I just think from my perspective...most, if not all things, are investments. Whether I'm investing time, resources, or monetary value, I tend to take a logical approach to my rationale. Also, I've never purchased shoes strictly for the ability to turn them...that's not what I was suggesting. I am also a hobbyist, with many hobbies, and I truly love and care for my luxuries. I just feel more comfortable knowing that should I ever laspe styles or my collection grow so large that others take more precedence, insert your own reason here, that I wouldn't take a substantial loss. Attempting to minimize the risk while reaping all of the benefits; having my cake and eating it too if you will.

Believe me, I love shoes, watches, motorcycles, mountain bikes, golf clubs, climbing gear, you name it just as much as the next guy...I really enjoy the conversation and love learning from you all. This community has been a great asset for me, long before I had the guts to register an account. smile.gif
post #24133 of 28913

Question for you all that doesn't generally relate to EG, but does in my specific case. I have a fairly new double leather sole on which the toe is wearing faster than other parts. At what point should I be concerned?  It's not through the first layer of leather yet, maybe halfway to 2/3s?  This wouldn't have been a problem is EG hadn't forgotten to put on the metal toe tap that I ordered for this mto....

post #24134 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalevy View Post

Question for you all that doesn't generally relate to EG, but does in my specific case. I have a fairly new double leather sole on which the toe is wearing faster than other parts. At what point should I be concerned?  It's not through the first layer of leather yet, maybe halfway to 2/3s?  This wouldn't have been a problem is EG hadn't forgotten to put on the metal toe tap that I ordered for this mto....
I'm not sure it'll be a big issue as EG replaces the welt if needed when they redraft (IIRC). Regardless, I'd probably put toe taps just to slow things down
post #24135 of 28913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedDx View Post


I'm not sure it'll be a big issue as EG replaces the welt if needed when they redraft (IIRC). Regardless, I'd probably put toe taps just to slow things down


But I'd want to have EG do it so I can have them resoled at the factory when the time comes.  But I'm in the U.S., so this poses a problem.  Aside from making my next vacation a trip to the UK, I doubt there are any cost-effective options?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy