• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass fit: U vs. F last

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does F last fit in comparison to U last? Does F's rounder toe make the fit roomier than U? How about instep? Are F and U last more or less the same except for the shape of toe?

pkincy

Reaction score
I can't be sure but that is what I understand (I only own the U). Both are low volume toe boxes (the Italian lasts) especially compared to the Budapest or 3636. they do have an amazingly large volume under the vamp however.

I compare them very much to the JL 8000. Bit low volume in the toe area but nice instep volume.

I have toyed with trying a New Peter last. Round toe but has more toe volume, but less than the Budapest or 3636. However I will likely order a St Crispin first.

Perry

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only see pictures of the F last, but they certainly appear to have a wider toe box than the U-last. I recently sold my one pair of U-last shoes (chukka boots). They were size 47, which roughly translates to size 13 US. Size 47 Vass on the R Last are roomy for me, and I can wear thick wool socks with them in the winter. Size 46's in the R last I can wear too. The size 47 U-Last, on the other hand, could only be worn by me with the thinnest socks. Just too snug in the toe. Though they were a thing of beauty, I found myself relieved at day's end (sometimes before) to remove them and "release" my feet.

pkincy

Reaction score
I just put on a U Last Oxford and a JL Sutton prestige, both in 8.5E UK sizing.

They fit very very similarly and have a very similar shape. Look at some of Aportnoy's and my recent pictures of our shoes. They are not nearly so narrow in person as they are in pictures.

The 8000 last may have a slight bit more ht in the toe box area but if so, it is measured at about 1/8 inch.

So if you wear an 8000 last well you will wear a U last well,or at least my feet do. And I recall Aportnoy saying the same thing.

Perry

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I just put on a U Last Oxford and a JL Sutton prestige, both in 8.5E UK sizing.

They fit very very similarly and have a very similar shape. Look at some of Aportnoy's and my recent pictures of our shoes. They are not nearly so narrow in person as they are in pictures.

The 8000 last may have a slight bit more ht in the toe box area but if so, it is measured at about 1/8 inch.

So if you wear an 8000 last well you will wear a U last well,or at least my feet do. And I recall Aportnoy saying the same thing.

Perry

Exactly right Perry. U last and 8000 are an almost identical fit for me. I find neither to be narrow or difficult to wear. Both are exceptionally comfortable right out of the box. I have two pair of F last in the works and will be able to make valid comparisons upon receipt.

pkincy

Reaction score
I am sitting here watching the USC/UCLA game with a JL 8000 on my left foot and a U Last Vass on my right. And they feel exactly alike.

I do think there may be 1/8th of an inch or even a bit less more wiggle room in the toe box of the 8000, and over hours that can make a difference if the volume is already tight.

I suspect if you have a lot of volume in the front of your feet either could be tite. My Sutor Mantellassi and Bonito both have more volume ahead of the vamp and both are more comfortable over long periods of time for me with the Mantellassis being like slippers for my foot shape.

After watching that game and 1/2 of the OU/Neb game, I do feel some differences. The U last is a bit tighter in the toe box and a very slight bit tighter under the vamp on my feet. Also the heel is shorter on the U last making the foot in the JL pitch forward a bit while walking and the U last pitch a bit backwards. These differences are subtle but do appear moreso after time.

Perry

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I am sitting here watching the USC/UCLA game with a JL 8000 on my left foot and a U Last Vass on my right.
lookaround.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
So a 7E Lobb 8000 last would be a size 41 Vass U last?

Exactly Z. I take 41.5 in the U and 7.5E on the 8000.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So Vass U 43.5 and 44 should fit very close to JL 8000 in 9.5E and 10E? I think I know how Vass U is going to fit me but still would like to know the F, same size as U?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Thanks for the info. So Vass U 43.5 and 44 should fit very close to JL 8000 in 9.5E and 10E? I think I know how Vass U is going to fit me but still would like to know the F, same size as U?

After much consultation, I ordered the same size in both U and F, 41.5.

Jerry52

Reaction score
So how do you guys like Vass for "bang for buck" compared with Aldens or Santonis or Crockett & Jones or Ferrigamo??? How does it compare for comfort and build quality and visual appeal? Is there a reliable seller of Vass that offers some discounts? I take it some of their shoes are available under $500 US? Thanks...Vass seems like the "gray ghost" on this board--- well respected but not nearly as discussed as Lobb, Green, etc. It's a recent discovery for me and I'm sort of curious...Of course they might not fit my 12-C foot very well, which is the story of most imports.

Jerry

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
So how do you guys like Vass for "bang for buck" compared with Aldens or Santonis or Crockett & Jones or Ferrigamo??? How does it compare for comfort and build quality and visual appeal? Is there a reliable seller of Vass that offers some discounts? I take it some of their shoes are available under $500 US? Thanks...Vass seems like the "gray ghost" on this board--- well respected but not nearly as discussed as Lobb, Green, etc. It's a recent discovery for me and I'm sort of curious...Of course they might not fit my 12-C foot very well, which is the story of most imports.

Jerry

Vass is one of the best RTW shoemakers in the world, completely handmade; they do welt by hand, only 5 (I think) other RTW makers do this, as far as I know are Silvano Lattanzi, Paolo Scafora, Stefano Bemer, Stefano Branchini, and Kiton. I would take any of these handmade shoes if I were rich like Michael Dell.

Vass is the cheapest of the 5, I would think. though.

I don't think Barrett or Bonora do this as the other 5 do, I could be wrong. Barrett does some handwelted shoes, but not to the exent of Vass or the others I had mentioned.

Santoni, Edward Green, John Lobb uses Goodyear Welted Machine assistance in their shoemaking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads