• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should my sport coats match my pants in material type?

pbrank

Reaction score
First post here, looks like an awesome forum and I'm looking forward to reading and posting.

Anyways, I am trying to expand my work wardrobe past basic suits and ties and looking to get some sport coats and dress pants to go with them.

First question - what are some common color combinations that people use to match coats and pants? I've been told black coat with gray/charcoal pants, as well as the opposite of that. What are other good combinations? I'd like to stay away from navy blazers and khaki pants as I'm just not a fan of that particular look.

My main question is this - do the sport coat and pants need to be of the exact same material? Would it be a major error to wear, say a 100% wool coat with a wool/poly blend pair of pants?

Also, what color/type of jacket goes best with a nice, dark pair of jeans? black? any specific material?

thanks!

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing wool+poly pants is a major mistake, no matter what kind of coat you wear.

pbrank

Reaction score
hmm, well I just made something up off the top of my head. what material pants should I stick to? 100% wool?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pbrank
hmm, well I just made something up off the top of my head. what material pants should I stick to? 100% wool?

Yes. Best to get several sport coats in different colors. As well as contrasting pants.

"Don't you know about the new fashion, honey? All you need are looks and a whole lot of money"

-Billy Joel

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear wool blazer/sport coat with cotton or linen pants often. Though I don't wear jeans, they would work with then also.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Yes. Best to get several sport coats in different colors. As well as contrasting pants.

"Don't you know about the new fashion, honey? All you need are looks and a whole lot of money"

-Billy Joel

Funny, but it's still StyleForvm to me.

To answer your question: To my knowledge it is not a faux pas to wear an odd jacket of one material and odd pants of another.

pbrank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
I wear wool blazer/sport coat with cotton or linen pants often. Though I don't wear jeans, they would work with then also.

are cotton pants acceptable in a work environment? I hadn't thought so, but I don't really know anything

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are cotton pants acceptable in a work environment? I hadn't thought so, but I don't really know anything

I like wool dress pants with cotton dress shirts from Monday to Thursday. Fridays are business casual so I go with cotton Chinos and cotton polo/sport shirts. On summer Fridays, I wear silk camp shirts with linen/silk blend pants.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily.

The jacket and slacks need to be be diffidence enough to not look like it is attempting to be suit -- which looks very bad,

They should complement each other in color, dressiness, cachet, and finish.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Not necessarily.

The jacket and slacks need to be be diffidence enough to not look like it is attempting to be suit -- which looks very bad,

They should complement each other in color, dressiness, cachet, and finish.

Not always. I sometimes wear a moleskine jacket and trousers, admittedly made from exactly the same batch of material from Hackett. It is a great 'halfway suit' and each element can be worn separately.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First post here, looks like an awesome forum and I'm looking forward to reading and posting. Anyways, I am trying to expand my work wardrobe past basic suits and ties and looking to get some sport coats and dress pants to go with them. First question - what are some common color combinations that people use to match coats and pants? I've been told black coat with gray/charcoal pants, as well as the opposite of that. What are other good combinations? I'd like to stay away from navy blazers and khaki pants as I'm just not a fan of that particular look. My main question is this - do the sport coat and pants need to be of the exact same material? Would it be a major error to wear, say a 100% wool coat with a wool/poly blend pair of pants? Also, what color/type of jacket goes best with a nice, dark pair of jeans? black? any specific material? thanks!
I recommend you lurk a bit in the WAYWRN thread and the conservative business dress WAYWRN thread.. There, you'll see many combinations - many work, don't - and it will help you along. If you are looking to expand you separates collection, I recommend getting the following plain color trousers:
  • Charcoal
  • medium grey
  • light grey
  • tan/khaki
… and basic coat colors:
  • Navy
  • Tan/camel
  • Glen plaid
These are among the more versatile colors and virtually any piece can be work with any other. With these building blocks, you can grow your wardrobe and not have to worry whether X goes with Y, as they're virtually all complementary. Finally, avoid poly/cotton and poly/wool blends, as they have a tendency to pill and look generally awful. I am not a fan of coats and jeans, generally, though I do have an unlined, unstructured tan cotton coat that complements jeans well. Additionally, the SW&D guys seem to do the coat and jeans thing a bit. Good luck, and enjoy building your wardrobe.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
Not always. I sometimes wear a moleskine jacket and trousers, admittedly made from exactly the same batch of material from Hackett. It is a great 'halfway suit' and each element can be worn separately.
Uussssssssssss.. [Sucks air through teeth Japanese businessman style and tenses visibly] Very dangerous it is! What are the colors?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets not forget you can rock a sport coat with cotton chinos, khakis, and jeans. Versatility is what makes the sport coat a mans best friend - it does not only have to pair with wool or wool blend dress pants. If you have a keen eye for color coordination and matching, world is your oyster.

pbrank

Reaction score
unfortunately I'm really color blind on top of not even knowing what the proper combinations should be, so I'm double screwed

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red/green colorblind?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads