• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blogging your industry

BossTweed

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience blogging non-anonymously about the industry in which they're currently employed? I work in a field with almost zero accessible commentary and was toying with the idea of starting a blog. My concern is that I'm not sure how it will be received by my employer -- how carefully do I have to choose my words? Do employers take notice if you're publicly criticizing a strategy which they are currently employing?

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's non-anonymous, you probably want to clear it with your employer anyway.

Elusive

Reaction score
Always consult management these things have a habit of biting you on the ass. Just let them know that you want to put your industry out there into the blogosphere to get feedback that may help improve your industry.

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
On a loosely related topic, can anyone recommend some good (anonymous or otherwise) blogs about corporate law work? Really, any good article-based website about the industry, where people can comment, etc. Appreciated!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I blog semi anonymously for an embassy. While I can never say directly that I work for them, I do have a lot of insider information that makes it obvious that I am connected in some way. Though this works for me, as it is not 'official' I don't have to have the government censors check it and have a bit more leeway as to what I can post/source material.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan
On a loosely related topic, can anyone recommend some good (anonymous or otherwise) blogs about corporate law work? Really, any good article-based website about the industry, where people can comment, etc. Appreciated!

abovethelaw.com

Not really a blog. It's more of a gossip website for lawyers but still interesting to see what people post about their firms.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's the goal of your blog? Is it to create a fun, interesting community? To develop a gossip channel for your industry? Or is this a career / personal marketing move, whereby you attempt to generate a reputation, a following, etc?

If it's the latter, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. You have to be open (not anonymous), get clearance with your company's PR and HR and possibly Legal departments if you're ever going to talk about your company, and be noncontroversial. You can have interesting opinions, but you need to be dry and professional. Since you're attaching your name and reputation to the blog, you can't go too off-topic or "blue" or snarky with your material, and you have to be damned careful who and what you criticize. For instance, if you're commenting on strategies you've observed in the marketplace, you're better served commenting on positive examples than on negative ones. Don't burn bridges.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Or is this a career / personal marketing move, whereby you attempt to generate a reputation, a following, etc?

It is indeed this. Thanks for your helpful advice. I'm going to hold off a bit and make sure I'm willing to dedicate the time to put out regular articles of substance.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BossTweed
Does this mean you use your real name?

I use my first name only (attached to an unrelated/unusual email account) and never actually say that I work for the embassy, only that I have sources closely related to the embassy.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BossTweed
Do employers take notice if you're publicly criticizing a strategy which they are currently employing?

Wow.

I'm glad you aren't working for me. You'd publicly criticize your company? Purposefully hurt the guys that are putting money in your pocket? For your own selfish purposes? Nice.

If/when you interview with other employers, that's the time to pull out your "ideas for improvements" to your current companies strategies. If you are just criticizing and don't have solutions, then you are worthless.. no... you might/could actually have negative worth.

Blog away. It sounds to me like you deserve what you'll get.

veneto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
abovethelaw.com

Not really a blog. It's more of a gossip website for lawyers but still interesting to see what people post about their firms.

Above the law is not even gossip beyond associate salaries and stom trawling of other blog outlets that actually cover law. A few sites I would recommend are:

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/ [WSJ Deal coverage]
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/ [WSJ general law coverage, but good NYC coverage especially]
http://www.delawarebusinesslitigation.com/ [DE Chancery Court coverage]
http://www.thedefiningtension.com/ [Corporate governance]
http://www.professorbainbridge.com/ [Corporate law and other musings by Stephen Bainbridge]

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
Wow.

I'm glad you aren't working for me. You'd publicly criticize your company? Purposefully hurt the guys that are putting money in your pocket? For your own selfish purposes? Nice.

If/when you interview with other employers, that's the time to pull out your "ideas for improvements" to your current companies strategies. If you are just criticizing and don't have solutions, then you are worthless.. no... you might/could actually have negative worth.

This.

As I said in a previous post, I would even take this advice a step further and say not to criticize anyone in a blog you're attaching your name to. Don't criticize failing or bad strategies. Instead, offer flattering analysis of successful strategies. Or offer advice for future strategies.

I'm not saying you need to kiss ass and be obsequious in your posts, but nevertheless, you don't want to burn bridges by being critical. No one wants to hear criticism anyhow, especially from some blogger who has no connection with their business and probably has no idea what he's talking about from an insider's perspective.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
Wow.

Alright, point taken about making critical posts. I probably should have worded my initial post better -- I never had any intent of publicly calling my company out by name. My question more stemmed from the fact that, in suggesting any ideas for improvement, you are implicitly criticizing the status quo.

What I'll likely do is write up a few articles that typify what I would include on my blog and get my company's approval before proceeding.

veneto

Reaction score
If you are blogging about your profession openly, your firm needs to know and approve. It's really that simple, at least if you intend to stay working there.

Your firm may love it too if you blog in a way that generates good buzz, but just be smart about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads