or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 547

post #8191 of 12855
Ben Silver has Skye in tan color.
post #8192 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeKelver View Post

Can anyone confirm with me the Barney's sizing system for C&Js? They do note "11US/10UK".  I would be a 10UK confirmed in the 348 purchased from the UK.  But I had heard that they are a half size large still.  
It's a crapshoot, unless you are in the store to try 'em on there are no guarantees. The Barney's Tetbury is on the 348 but I tried a US 10D and 9.5D and the 9.5D was still longer in length and more narrow in width than all my UK 9E shoes in 348. My Barney's Cliffords seem to be the normal US D = UK E +1. I ordered a US 10 in the Malton but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.
post #8193 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rogue View Post
 

Would they finish a pair in tan if one asked? I would love a pair of Skye in tan.

 

The other question was: would C&J make a pair of boots with lace holes all the way up rather than having those horrible metal "claws" on the upper half which make a mess of the trousers.

 

1.  A Skye in tan ("chestnut") would be a made-to-order shoe, with an upcharge.

 

2.  Probably (see the words after the comma in #1).  BTW the proper term for "lace hole" is "eyelet"; for "horrible metal claw" it's "speed hook".

 

If you are in the US there's a store in New York on W. 56th btwn Fifth and Sixth Avenues that can answer all your questions and take a substantial amount of your money.

post #8194 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeKelver View Post
 

Can anyone confirm with me the Barney's sizing system for C&Js? They do note "11US/10UK".  I would be a 10UK confirmed in the 348 purchased from the UK.  But I had heard that they are a half size large still.  


In my experience they "seem" to be a half size down. BUT I have heard conflicting reports. I emailed C&J about it and to be honest their reply didn't seem "authoritative" but they also suggested Barneys sized 1/2 size.

 

I am a between a US 10D and 10.5D. I purchased some Barneys C&J's in size 10D earlier and they ended up being ever so slightly too snug. I'm guessing they were a UK9.5 (but I can't rule out that they were a 9UK).

 

Now I have a new pair of the same shoe (Coniston) in a UK 10 and they fit great. It's the UK toe boxes that are the issue, IMO. I'm done with wearing "snug fitting shoes". Life is too short.

post #8195 of 12855
The only sure thing is that they are a narrow Uk D width, as stated by the /4 on the insole.

Consider this if you compare them to your UK E size (/5 writed on insole)
post #8196 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

The only sure thing is that they are a narrow Uk D width, as stated by the /4 on the insole.

Consider this if you compare them to your UK E size (/5 writed on insole)


I'm not sure about this. Seems odd to me if they (Barney's) would only carry one width -- and that that width would be a narrow width, rather than Standard/US-D width.

post #8197 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellemastiff View Post


I'm not sure about this. Seems odd to me if they (Barney's) would only carry one width -- and that that width would be a narrow width, rather than Standard/US-D width.

It is considered by vendors a standard US width.
C&J (like Eg, Trickers) have only one scale for width

C&J marked D are truly narrower than the ones marked as E (and not identical and just conversion)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/177625/uk-or-us-sizing-c-j-for-bb

The sizing used for lenght is controversial as previously stated, but the one used for width seems to be clear.
post #8198 of 12855
I've definitely gotten both E and D widths from Barneys and other US retailers, definitely not clear what you are going to get unless you see in person.

Sample size ~15 pairs about even split for me
post #8199 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

The only sure thing is that they are a narrow Uk D width, as stated by the /4 on the insole.

Consider this if you compare them to your UK E size (/5 writed on insole)

This is not sure. The Barney's insole is marked the size on the box, i.e. 4 for a US D. It really is a crapshoot IMO. The Tetbury's are really oddly sized, US 9.5 D was longer and more narrow than UK 9E, but my new Maltons which arrived today seem to be normally sized. (Yay!) Sorry for the crappy cell pics but here's a pic of the box, and they even note E next to the last, but the insole is still marked "10/4." I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Barney's Maltons are US 10D = UK 9E. Barney's Tetburys in brown calf seem to be US 9.5D = UK 9.5D or something bizarre like that.



post #8200 of 12855
I don't have any other 360 last shoes but if someone else has a UK9E in that last, I'll gladly take sole measurements tonight of my Barney's US10D to compare.
post #8201 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

Ben Silver has Skye in tan color.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post
 

 

1.  A Skye in tan ("chestnut") would be a made-to-order shoe, with an upcharge.

 

2.  Probably (see the words after the comma in #1).  BTW the proper term for "lace hole" is "eyelet"; for "horrible metal claw" it's "speed hook".

 

If you are in the US there's a store in New York on W. 56th btwn Fifth and Sixth Avenues that can answer all your questions and take a substantial amount of your money.

 

Thank you guys. I live in the UK but by the sounds of it I don't think I will be goin down the route of made-to-order. As bad as it may sound I dont intend to pay any more than their existing price really. I suppose the other question will be: how difficult would it be to change the colour of the shoes by myself? I.e. could I remove the dark brown colour and apply tan colour to them instead? Does this pose a danger to the shoes?

 

PS: Thank you for clarifying the names for the eyelet and speed hook. I wasnt sure what they were called so I had to use the best description I could think of. :embar: 

PSS: By the way the Chestnut colour is too dark compared to the tan I have in mind. The tan I am thinking off is the one that leans more on the goldish side of the spectrum.

post #8202 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

This is not sure. The Barney's insole is marked the size on the box, i.e. 4 for a US D. It really is a crapshoot IMO. The Tetbury's are really oddly sized, US 9.5 D was longer and more narrow than UK 9E, but my new Maltons which arrived today seem to be normally sized. (Yay!) Sorry for the crappy cell pics but here's a pic of the box, and they even note E next to the last, but the insole is still marked "10/4." I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Barney's Maltons are US 10D = UK 9E. Barney's Tetburys in brown calf seem to be US 9.5D = UK 9.5D or something bizarre like that.

Thanks for posting this, very very strange sizing...
post #8203 of 12855
post #8204 of 12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

Thanks for posting this, very very strange sizing...

Yup, I have the Barneys versions of the Cliffords, Maltons, and Wickows, but had to return the Tetburys. I'm happy to take measurements if anyone wants a US 10D / UK 9E.
post #8205 of 12855
I'm looking for sizing advice for the Cavendish. My brannock size is 8.5. I was fit at C&J nyc for the cheam, 341 last, in 7E. Barrie shoes in size 8US fit very well. Any advice on the 325 last?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)