• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scale of formality in necktie patterns

Will C.

Reaction score
This is just for fun and doesn’t pretend to have any authoritative basis – I just wrote it with my own experience and intuition as a guide. I propose the following as a scale of formality in necktie patterns, in descending order of formality:

1. dogtooth (black & white)
2. pin dots
3. foulards
4. glen check (black & white / gray)
5. polka dots
6. diagonal stripes (non-regimental)
7. paisleys
8. diagonal stripes (regimental)
9. other checks and tartans
10. horizontal stripes

Please disagree, if you like.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that. I thought paisleys might be a little higher on your list. I've seen some nice colors with those that kind of raise the stakes. Foulard? What the hell is that?

Will C.

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that. I thought paisleys might be a little higher on your list. I've seen some nice colors with those that kind of raise the stakes.
Yes, paisley is elaborate and can be eye-catching but I'm not sure that that makes formality. It's very expressive and unrestrained, not very sober, so I put it lower on the list.
Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531
Foulard? What the hell is that?
Slightly elaborate, old-fashioned, tight patterns that don't fall into any of the other categories. For example:
k3wb.04498.002_m.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much wearing any necktie nowadays is going to have the same level of formality, save for novelty ties (like cartoon characters) which ought not be worn. No matter what order your list is, wearing a tie at all will automatically make your outfit "not casual" to everyone.

My list of formality would be:

1. White bow tie
2. Black bow tie
3. Black necktie (funerals)
4. Neck tie
5. Bow tie of varying patterns

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Pretty much wearing any necktie nowadays is going to have the same level of formality, save for novelty ties (like cartoon characters) which ought not be worn. No matter what order your list is, wearing a tie at all will automatically make your outfit "not casual" to everyone.

Now now, I think I knew that. You took my intentions with this thread too seriously.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I'm curious to know why you think regimental stripes are less formal than non-regimental stripes. I would have thought that it would be the reverse.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
This is just for fun and doesn't pretend to have any authoritative basis - I just wrote it with my own experience and intuition as a guide. I propose the following as a scale of formality in necktie patterns, in descending order of formality:

2. pin dots
3. foulards
4. glen check (black & white / gray)
5. polka dots
7. paisleys
8. diagonal stripes (regimental)
9. other checks and tartans
10. horizontal stripes

Please disagree, if you like.

You consider non-regimental more formal than regimental? And what of knit ties?

EDIT - Blackbowtie beat me to it.

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I'm curious to know why you think regimental stripes are less formal than non-regimental stripes. I would have thought that it would be the reverse.

Fair question.
As I see it, non-regimental diagonal stripe ties often have smaller intervals between stripes, often look rather precise and cold, and are typically worn for as part of a fully-suited outfit.

I think regimentals are less formal because of their archetypal association with the 'blue blazer' and odd trouser combination. They seem like a playful summery tie to me, albeit more formal than other summery options.

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
And what of knit ties?
Oh yes - they should have had a place on the list! Definitely low on the scale, but it would depend on the pattern, no? I daresay knits with dots are more formal than knits with horizontal stripes, for example... There's something about the playfully off-beat look of horizontal stripes that I love on ties and shirts.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you can also make the distinction between small-pattern and large-pattern foulards. The former being more formal and maybe higher up on your list.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. pin dots
3. foulards
4. diagonal stripes (regimental)
5. glen check (black & white / gray)
7. polka dots
8. paisleys
9. Small embroidered ducks
10. other checks and tartans
11. horizontal stripes
12. Piano keys
13. Fish tie
14. WWF Character ties
15. Dolphin ties
16. Looney toons ties
17. Bolo ties

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am going to disagree on the piano keys tie. Before launching his "Derelicte" brand ("Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique"), Mugatu started in fashion by designing the piano key tie and it was considered quite formal.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
#1 = Solid.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will. Utter nonsense to try to determine such a listing (though I admire you for trying). For example a funeral might be said to be a formal occasion and by inference a black tie is formal. However many funerals are best graced by coloured ties in respect to either the wishes or ways of the deceased. On the other hand a black tie is normal at a formal dinner below the level of white tie. Just to complete the circuit, a white tie worn with a black shirt is acceptable at some functions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics