• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did you propose? - - Married/Divorced Guys

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For full disclosure I'm not close to proposing, but I'd like to hear where some of you guys popped the question. Restaurant, beach, movie theater (a guy I know put the ring in his gf popcorn). I object to proposing during a graduation ceremony, it seems selfish because it turns everyone's moment into your moment.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Mine wasn't anything extravagant. We were heading to my parents house for Easter and I had to pick her up on the way. Before I left my house, I made an Easter basket with candy and that fake grass stuff and put the ring in the bottom. When I gave it to her, she thanked me and just put it on the table thinking there was only candy. Then I told her to look deeper in the basket. She found it and I got on my knees and proposed. I didn't think it was that romantic, but my wife loved it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I proposed at sunrise at the summit of the north hill on Toopua motu off the island of Bora Bora after the two of us made our way to the top after an early morning walk on Valentine's Day. It was just the two of us.

I whipped out a large, perfect Tahitian black pearl that I had her pick out under other pretenses a couple days earlier.

She was quite surprised. After sixteen years together, she thought it would never happen.

inlove.gif

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
On top of a mountain, in a driving thunderstorm.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the kitchen of my apartment. I got out glasses to pour us a glass of champagne and when I handed her the glass it had the ring in it. As it turned out she was surprised, even though she'd actually helped design the ring and was with me when I ordered it from the jeweler.

In retrospect, if she'd swallowed the ring, the whole thing could have gone terribly wrong.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my attorney's office after he explained to her how my $100k in investment accounts was not part of the deal.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the living room of her apartment. It was Christmas Eve, and we were exchanging gifts. I had the ring in my pocket, and after we were done I told her I'd found one little thing that I hadn't had a chance to wrap. I took it out of my pocket as I slid down to one knee and asked. In retrospect, it was a remarkably smooth move given I was so nervous I could barely think.

It was quite clichÃ
00a9.png
, proposing at Christmas and all that, but it went over really well. She still tells the story seven years later, so I guess clichÃ
00a9.png
was alright. Also, one benefit of proposing on Christmas Eve was that she got to brag at all of the holiday events that happened over the next couple of days.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
In the kitchen of my apartment. I got out glasses to pour us a glass of champagne and when I handed her the glass it had the ring in it. As it turned out she was surprised, even though she'd actually helped design the ring and was with me when I ordered it from the jeweler.

In retrospect, if she'd swallowed the ring, the whole thing could have gone terribly wrong.

I once read an article about something like this going terribly awry. A guy put the ring in his girlfriend's Frosty at Wendy's, and she wolfed it down without noticing it. They had to wait for her to, uh, "produce" the ring over the next couple of days.

Personally, I think the guy got what he deserved, given he proposed at Wendy's.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
very unromantic for us... we were just going out for dinner and we sort of talked about getting married and the conversation just went on and on and by the end of the night we were engaged.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
In my attorney's office after he explained to her how my $100k in investment accounts was not part of the deal.

lulz

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Took her back to the restaurant where we'd had our first date. Ate on the patio and proposed after dinner.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
For full disclosure I'm not close to proposing, but I'd like to hear where some of you guys popped the question. Restaurant, beach, movie theater (a guy I know put the ring in his gf popcorn). I object to proposing during a graduation ceremony, it seems selfish because it turns everyone's moment into your moment.

facepalm.gif
What if she accidentally popped it in her mouth, chewed it and cracked a molar?

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I proposed at a park the dock overlooking the water. We were the only ones there and although she knew it would happen soon (we'd already been shopping for rings) she was surprised. When we got back to her parent's house her 2 sisters and her brother and families were all there to celebrate.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
facepalm.gif
What if she accidentally popped it in her mouth, chewed it and cracked a molar?

Yes, I worry about the "gimmicky" way of proposing. I would think that women would like a restaurant proposal because they'd get a lot of attention from the other diners.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads