• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your work commute like?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who has it bad and is it worth it?

My current commute is about 45 minutes for 20 miles in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Im right next to LAX and thus pretty central to anything that is happening if I go out afterwork or something. Plus, its definetly a place I could move to as its a young crowd and a lot of my friends live around there.

Reason I ask is I'm going on Wednesday for a job interview that will put me in Anaheim (Near Disneyland,
ffffuuuu.gif
) Unless they offered me a telecommute option or a large raise, the hour plus commute would be the primary reason I'd decline the offer (if made). Its near nothing Im interested in and basically sucks as an area. Does that sound like a dumb reason to decline, if all else is equal?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 hr and 15 minutes using the subway and bus.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 min walk + 10 mn subway + 5 min walk

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 hr on subway plus Metro North Train. Its not bad, but I would really prefer my client to be in Manhattan. Would save a solid 2 hours.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
School: 1 hour combined walking and train
Work 5-20min by train depending on where I am working.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20 minutes to airport
1.5 hours in air
20 minutes to office

Repeat 2x a week.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
Who has it bad and is it worth it?

My current commute is about 45 minutes for 20 miles in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Im right next to LAX and thus pretty central to anything that is happening if I go out afterwork or something. Plus, its definetly a place I could move to as its a young crowd and a lot of my friends live around there.

Reason I ask is I'm going on Wednesday for a job interview that will put me in Anaheim (Near Disneyland,
ffffuuuu.gif
) Unless they offered me a telecommute option or a large raise, the hour plus commute would be the primary reason I'd decline the offer (if made). Its near nothing Im interested in and basically sucks as an area. Does that sound like a dumb reason to decline, if all else is equal?

About 8 minutes to work and 5 minutes back home.

Also, it is about 5 minutes from Disneyland. I can think of many places that are worse to work than Anaheim. After work, you can always catch a Ducks game, Angels game, go to the Gardenwalk, etc.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 minute drive on side streets.

OP. I am familiar with your proposed commute. I HATE commuting. Your quality of life will suck. Two hours + wasted daylight on the freeway with other disgruntled drivers is no way to live. Would only do it if it were an opportunity of a lifetime that would open more doors down the road. Doesn't seem like this job propsect would qualify. Would not do.

Originally Posted by BDC2823
Also, it is about 5 minutes from Disneyland. I can think of many places that are worse to work than Anaheim. After work, you can always catch a Ducks game, Angels game, go to the Gardenwalk, etc.

Sure, these are things he can do once in a while, but most days after work you just want to go home. Sure things can be worse, but doesn't mean what's on the table is good.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If all else is equal, no it's not a dumb reason at all. My commute is about 10-15 minutes, so I can't complain, but MrsG commutes ~1:10, and she hates it. At first she didn't mind the drive. It's a fair amount of open road, and she found it relaxing, but after 3+ years it's wearing on her. She's kind of trapped in the job right now, but I can tell you for certain she'll be jumping ship when/if the opporunity arises.

I should note that there is a tradeoff. She would be willing to take somewhat of a pay cut if it meant a shorter commute, but she wouldn't just take any job in hopes of cutting her commute.

I would also consider the fact that all things might not be equal. A longer commute costs more, both in fuel and wear-and-tear. If you're making the same amount of money but spending more to get to work, you're taking a net loss.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
About 8 minutes to work and 5 minutes back home.

tustin to anaheim is 8 minutes for you? or am i reading it wrong.

traffic on the 55 and/or 5 is terrible especially in the afternoon.s

for me , it was not that bad last year: about 35-45 minutes both ways from costa mesa to torrance and back.

but for some reason, traffic has gotten really bad this year.

at least 50 minutes and regularly 1 hour and 5-10 minutes each way.

so i ve joined a vanpool last week.

cut my commute time to about 45 minutes both ways, but i save half on gas. also i get some work done in the van.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 minute drive to the train station
55 minutes on LIRR train
10 minutes on the subway
30 second walk to my building

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
20 minute drive. It's not bad at all. Sometimes the drive home can be jammed, and that's no fun, but all things considered it could be far, far worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads