or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1415

post #21211 of 26315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Well you stalked me I suppose for the 5s I had the original clip, you can PM me your paypal if you want. I own up to me mistakes. smile.gif




Wasn't sure if you were srs when I clicked on the link because it loaded the "2x McLaren P1 in Action On Track! Exhaust SOUNDS! (1080p HD)" title and the actual video.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif
post #21212 of 26315
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post




Wasn't sure if you were srs when I clicked on the link because it loaded the "2x McLaren P1 in Action On Track! Exhaust SOUNDS! (1080p HD)" title and the actual video.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I was a moron in that 5s copy/paste mistake - but the 10 bucks are yours.

I wasn't joking. Also, without my slip-up, no one gets any of the vehicles I posted correctly.

I'm still proving a broader point. You have 15 minutes to claim your $10.
post #21213 of 26315
I guess I'm with Piob: I don't really care to try to identify cars by their exhaust notes. If I hear an exhaust on the street I like, that's cool, but it's as likely to be an STI as it is a Ferrari. nod[1].gif
post #21214 of 26315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I was a moron in that 5s copy/paste mistake - but the 10 bucks are yours.

I wasn't joking. Also, without my slip-up, no one gets any of the vehicles I posted correctly.

I'm still proving a broader point. You have 15 minutes to claim your $10.

While playing your quiz is actually fun, it proves nothing. I don't see how being able to identify a car's engine based on its exhaust note has anything to do with the argument at hand: that a car with a turbo 4 / 6 engine cannot possibly have an exhaust note similar to that of a naturally aspirated V10, for example.
post #21215 of 26315
0 minutes left GF. I was dead serious if you send me your PP via PM, you'll have 10 bucks in it. I wouldn't have limited the time window initially, but the whole notification thing to get at me for a mistake peeved me a bit.

The current clip is still on the table. Is it an Ariel Atom? Is it a Ferrari 488? Is it something else? It's purely dyno.

My point was to say a great sounding car will be a great sounding car. It can be electric, it can be an I6, V8, V12, or a multitude of other things. I wanted to call bullshit on people being able to identify engines, which I felt I did, outside of my simple copy and paste mistake.

You still could have claimed the 10 bucks with a simple PM.

Saying you knew all of those after the fact is a pretty darn easy thing.
post #21216 of 26315
The last engine sound I posted for $100 was from Valentino Rossi's Yamaha Moto GP bike. I'm sure most of you knew that though.

My point was to show that all engines sound differently and online hard-asses love repeating information.

This thread is so full of posers that it's pathetic. GF, in no way guesses M3, M4, Aventador, and Tesla without me telling him the answers. The P1 was a small copy and paste screw up on my part - which he never claimed via PM.

Also, every single piece of posturing in this thread is pretty pathetic. I respect HRoi, Piob, and a few others, but not many others.
post #21217 of 26315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

0 minutes left GF. I was dead serious if you send me your PP via PM, you'll have 10 bucks in it. I wouldn't have limited the time window initially, but the whole notification thing to get at me for a mistake peeved me a bit.

The current clip is still on the table. Is it an Ariel Atom? Is it a Ferrari 488? Is it something else? It's purely dyno.

My point was to say a great sounding car will be a great sounding car. It can be electric, it can be an I6, V8, V12, or a multitude of other things. I wanted to call bullshit on people being able to identify engines, which I felt I did, outside of my simple copy and paste mistake.

You still could have claimed the 10 bucks with a simple PM.

Saying you knew all of those after the fact is a pretty darn easy thing.

Brah, why are you getting worked up over the $10? I don't want $10. Nor would I have claimed it anyway because I didn't get your quiz right -- you dun goof'd with the link, so it didn't even count in the first place. I wasn't "getting at you" at all. I was merely pointing out that the original post had the link to the actual clip, thus nullifying it all because I knew the answer from the get-go as a result. confused.gif

And whoever said that a great sounding car isn't a great sounding car? I never said anything of the sort. I think turbocharged cars can sound fucking amazing. I love the exhaust note of the GTR, for example. I think the 911 Turbo S can sound pretty cool in its own right, despite sounding like a vacuum cleaner sucking in massive amounts of air at other times.

What you cannot assert, however, is that if I were a person who wanted the R8 V10+ because of the performance AND exhaust note, that the turbocharged 6 cylinder R8 would suit my needs just fine if it at least matched the performance of the V10. If the V10 exhaust note holds a special place in my heart, only a V10 can satisfy that desire.

This is all to say that turbocharged applications are great at matching the performance figures, if not exceeding them, of their larger engine counterparts while also delivering on fuel efficiency. But they will never, ever match the exhaust notes of their NA V10 / V12 brethren.
post #21218 of 26315
In the famous words of Geddy Lee, "Ten bucks is ten bucks." My paypal is rambo@wdwv.net.
post #21219 of 26315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

The last engine sound I posted for $100 was from Valentino Rossi's Yamaha Moto GP bike. I'm sure most of you knew that though.

My point was to show that all engines sound differently and online hard-asses love repeating information.

This thread is so full of posers that it's pathetic. GF, in no way guesses M3, M4, Aventador, and Tesla without me telling him the answers. The P1 was a small copy and paste screw up on my part - which he never claimed via PM.

Also, every single piece of posturing in this thread is pretty pathetic. I respect HRoi, Piob, and a few others, but not many others.

I think we're in agreement there...

And believe what you want. I've listened to countless clips of the E92 M3 over the years. Everyone knows I've had a boner for that specific car for YEARS. I've listened to the cold start of my coworker's F80 M3; that was a dead giveaway due to the signature "rattling" sound on cold start. And the Aventador? It's unmistakeable. I can't explain verbally the sound that makes it so unique, but an Aventador exhaust is very easy to pick out if you've listened to countless clips of it. The Tesla was obvious given your unrelenting hard-on for anything Tesla.

I don't understand how not being able to identify a MOTO GP BIKE disproves anything I've been asserting.

You seem to get in your own way. I urge you to read through the chain of posts, starting from where I said that a turbo 6 could never sound like a V10. You're getting angry for no apparent reason and haven't been able to disprove anything I've said.

The quizzes mean nothing and are entirely irrelevant to it all. What a spectacle, truly. I am bewildered at how worked up you're getting over this. You seem to be taking personal offense that not everybody here is willing to jump on the turbocharged bandwagon. Some of us just prefer NA engines...
post #21220 of 26315
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Brah, why are you getting worked up over the $10? I don't want $10. Nor would I have claimed it anyway because I didn't get your quiz right -- you dun goof'd with the link, so it didn't even count in the first place. I wasn't "getting at you" at all. I was merely pointing out that the original post had the link to the actual clip, thus nullifying it all because I knew the answer from the get-go as a result. confused.gif

...

Actually, I like you GF.

My issue has always been when people talk about things that they've never used or dealt with. The $10 bucks and the $100 were on the table to show it's pretty hard to guess a car's engine from t's exhaust. I drive or have (lease/own) 3 of 5 vehicles I posted and have driven 4 of the 5 (f u MotoGP). It's pretty annoying when I see people pontificating on stuff they have no idea about is all.

/rant
post #21221 of 26315
I am not one of the exhaust sound whores but it's still an interesting topic and one of the things about the seismic engine downsizing shift that tends to bring out overreactions. To my untrained ear the first clip sounded like a v8 but so did the i6 in the second clip and the v12 sounded higher pitched but I couldn't say much other than that. The tesla sounded like an induction motor so no surprise there. You have to separate the engine noise from the intake sound and exhaust sound, which can vary based on so many things and has become very tunable by automakers (including mechanical methods and things like the BMW sound system *shudder*).

This downsizing trend is a good example of regulation changing consumer behavior and showing us the difference between the use of taxation on consumers and other forms of behavior modification. I think a lot of people tend to just blame Obama for this phenomenon but it is quite literally a worldwide regulatory regime with slightly different facets in different locales. In China they tax the heck out of engines based on size (which is why you see so many 2l engines and why Porsche made the 991.2 just under 3l and Ferrari made sure the 488 just under 4l so it would be cost competitive with McLaren). Of course in the US we have CAFE which promotes turbocharged engines that don't always deliver great results in real-world driving as I can attest to with my ordinary mileage X1. And in Europe they legislate much tighter on CO2 and total hydrocarbons tightly but not on NOx (allowing something like 4x the NOx we allow in the US) so you see more oil burners and of course fuel is always expensive there which has acted as another upward pressure on fuel economy.

Bottom line, for a number of reasons these new engines are here to stay and hopefully the disadvantages will be dealt with over the coming years. I think ramuman's test shows largely that exhaust sound can be gamed given all the tools carmakers have at their disposal today.

My anecdote is that I still drive my old beat up 15+ year old American SUV with a v-8 and although it's little cared for and rarely sees any maintenance it has the smoothest idle imaginable. I am just about always surprised when it's had a chance to warm up just how calm it is and then I floor it to get moving and pretty soon from inside the car all you hear is the vacuum cleaner sound from my K&N and never really hear the exhaust. But I do always appreciate the idle and understand why Pio wants his v-8 back.

Side note: Ramu - what is your purpose here? If you think this thread is full of posers and you're so cool, why are you slumming it with the people here? I really don't get it. You seem to get really really thin-skinned and take weird positions where you randomly attack the thread at large for not being as awesome as you. This isn't the only game in town - there must be some corner of the internet that meets your standard for the level of expertise required to discuss cars. This thread is 25% showoffs, 25% complaining about maintenance, 25% discussing potential new car purchases and 25% dream car BS. I don't know why you ever would have expected it to meet your lofty standard for car discussion.
post #21222 of 26315
All right, I'm sure this was a fun quiz (haven't listened to the clips yet) but what 'online BS' are you looking to disprove with this game?

If it's that turbocharged engines can sound as good as NA engines you'll have to use clips with engines with exhaust and under load. All cars sound worse on a dyno, and the whole reason a turbo makes an engine sound different is because it's using exhaust gases and thereby muffling the sound - meaning you need to compare the two with exhaust to get the full experience of how turbos affect real world sound

If it's that the people on this thread can't guess a make of car by the engine sound, maybe you're right. But I would like a crack at guessing based on hearing the car on the street or track. I won't be able to guess based on dyno clips for sure
post #21223 of 26315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Actually, I like you GF.

My issue has always been when people talk about things that they've never used or dealt with. The $10 bucks and the $100 were on the table to show it's pretty hard to guess a car's engine from t's exhaust. I drive or have (lease/own) 3 of 5 vehicles I posted and have driven 4 of the 5 (f u MotoGP). It's pretty annoying when I see people pontificating on stuff they have no idea about is all.

/rant

Note that I'm harping on the V10 because I used to have an E60 M5, as you know, so the high-revving, screaming V10s (and V12s, even though I've never owned one) of the world will always hold a special place in my heart. And the fact that car markers are having to replace them with smaller, turbocharged engine variants to meet emissions and fuel efficiency standards pains me. Exhaust notes are all personal preference, but show me one person who thinks the F10 M5 sounds "better" (whatever better means) than the E60 M5.

I've almost come to expect that a turbocharged engine will sound less exciting and unique than its NA-counterpart. The 488 GTB is one recent example that defies this trend. It sounds completely NA from the clips I've listened to and I was genuinely surprised.
post #21224 of 26315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post


Actually, I like you GF.

My issue has always been when people talk about things that they've never used or dealt with. The $10 bucks and the $100 were on the table to show it's pretty hard to guess a car's engine from t's exhaust. I drive or have (lease/own) 3 of 5 vehicles I posted and have driven 4 of the 5 (f u MotoGP). It's pretty annoying when I see people pontificating on stuff they have no idea about is all.

/rant

I thought the quiz idea with clips was fun.  I knew I would never get them right so I didn't try to guess, but it was interesting to find out what each one was.

 

In the real world so many people put on aftermarket exhausts, that it often doesn't matter what the engine sounds like in its stock form.  I used to turn to see what was coming down the road when I heard a great sounding exhaust note.  Now more than half the time when I turn to see what is coming down the road its not anything special.  

post #21225 of 26315
My main point was never to think I'm so cool.

@UnFacconable - never my intention at all. I also haven't attacked the thread at large. I grew up with a hugely physics/engineerings household where first principles logic usually prevailed.

My posts were to simply point out, it's ridiculously easy to sit on an online forum and say things; it's also, apparently, hard to tell what is a NA V12 in an Aventador or the two electric motors in a Tesla.

At some point, people have to get the clue that YouTube and a laptop or Forza and an Xbox One aren't predicators of actually living with the cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Note that I'm harping on the V10 because I used to have an E60 M5, as you know, so the high-revving, screaming V10s (and V12s, even though I've never owned one) of the world will always hold a special place in my heart. And the fact that car markers are having to replace them with smaller, turbocharged engine variants to meet emissions and fuel efficiency standards pains me. Exhaust notes are all personal preference, but show me one person who thinks the F10 M5 sounds "better" (whatever better means) than the E60 M5.

I've almost come to expect that a turbocharged engine will sound less exciting and unique than its NA-counterpart. The 488 GTB is one recent example that defies this trend. It sounds completely NA from the clips I've listened to and I was genuinely surprised.

I'm also one of the very few people on here that has tracked the pre and post-LCI F1x cars. The sound is terrible. What's your point? I could say the same about a lot of other cars.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!