• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for some EG shoe color input

Toorman

Reaction score
I'm trying to choose between black (classic workhorse - can wear any place any time), dark oak antique (a seductive dark brown) or burgundy antique (elegant sophistication) on the 82 last. All have various pros in my book. Cons - there are no cons we're talking about a pair of EG's. Wish I could have all 3 but that's not in the cards. Just curious if those who own, have owned or dream of owning have any advice.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While that question is extremely open ended and essentially impossible for us to solve on your behalf, I will volunteer my own preference: dark oak, burgundy and black - in that order.

That said, and it may sound contradictory, if I had only one pair of dress shoes (a highly hypothetical situation), it would be black.

shoejohn

Reaction score
Dark Oak
inlove.gif

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're wardrobe works with it and you'll wear them often I may go with the Burgundy as EG does a great job. That being said, the Dark Oak is the best for all around use. A fantastic shade of brown with lots of depth. The best dark brown out there IMHO.

Have you considered the 888 last? Personally, I vastly prefer that to the 82. Try to see them both in person side by side if you haven't already.

Leather man

Reaction score
Without knowing what you want to wear them with it is hard to say. However, just on the shoe colours alone, I'd say burgundy followed by dark oak.

I feel black is wasted with Edward Green as there's not the possibility for their lovely handfinishing that there is with burgundy and dark oak. You are paying the same but for less work and a product that does not show off what wonders Edward Green can perform.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
While that question is extremely open ended and essentially impossible for us to solve on your behalf, I will volunteer my own preference: dark oak, burgundy and black - in that order.

That said, and it may sound contradictory, if I had only one pair of dress shoes (a highly hypothetical situation), it would be black.

Interesting. I would vote burgundy, dark oak antique, and then black. But, my one pair of EG's is black. I needed a black dress shoe and EG was the choice.

888style

Reaction score
I get more mileage out of my Burgundy, and Black EG's, then my Dark Oak ones.

Inverness_2_LL.JPG

My most favorite.....
inlove.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you don't have anything like dark oak, get that.

if you do, then get burgundy

Patek14

Reaction score
My guess of SF Groupthink: Oak > Burgundy > Black

My preference: Burgundy = Black > oak (Maybe burgundy a slight edge of over black)

I'd say go burgundy. It is very versatile for trouser matching and I think it looks great

PiedBeau

Reaction score
Hi,
Depending on the model you pick, my choice would vary...
For example, Inverness i'd say Burgundy, Westminster I'd say Dark Oak, Chelsea i'd say Black.
But maybe it's because that's exactly what i have in my dressing room
blush.gif

rlx

Reaction score
Get the Dark Oak. I have the Dark Oak on the 82 last. It can be worn with just about anything.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark Oak is amazing, but Burgundy will definitely be more versatile, and matches dark suits more easily than Dark Oak.

I wear my burgundy G&G's with suits more frequently than my dark oak EGs (which I wear exclusively with gray), and now have EGs in burgundy on order.

coolshoes

Reaction score
You cannot go wrong with either Dark Oak or Burgundy. They are both incredibly versatile, with a slight nod to Burgundy as it amazingly works with just about anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads