• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your current "conditioning" level?

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
This thread was inspired by a comment that APK made in Random Fashion Thoughts.

Originally Posted by APK
I forget how conditioned this place has made me to thinking nothing of $200 jeans, $150 button-downs, etc. until I hear a friend complaining that a $35 shirt is "way too expensive."

This forum, being around other fashion people and the simple act of buying new/nicer clothes "conditions" you to think differently about what is appropriate to spend on a piece of clothing. It's a simple case of Pavlovian classical conditioning.

I find your conditioning changes:
A) as your wardrobe improves
B) as your salary increases

Worst of all, it happens without you even noticing.
What are your current "conditioning" levels (i.e. prices you consider "normal" and insta-kop without much hesitation)?

mine
jeans: 200
button down: 400
trousers: 400
suit: 1200
shoes: 300
trainers: 450
cardigan/pullover: 500
tshirt: 100

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jeans: 300 (still only have two pairs so it's a bit high)
button-down: 150
trousers: 150
cardigan: 400
t-shirt: 5

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This place has only really affected my perceptions of jeans, suits and shoes. I've been paying about $100 for a shirt for a long time now. However, this really is a microsm for overspending relative to the rest of the population. I reckon MC may even be more skewed. Big timers there spend $2000 min on a suit, multiple times a year.

Joqur

Reaction score
jeans: 150, though my currents were 300
shirts: 150
trainers: 180
shoes: 250
cardi: 200
suit: 600
t-shirt: 100

like you said, those are just instakop levels, ill pay much more and since im a senior normally i tend to methodically mull over my purchases and tend not to take part in the instakops.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only really buy used/on serious markdown..

Jeans: $150
Leather jacket: $1000
Outerwear: $300
Dope-ass outerwear: $500
Hanes: $6 for a 5-pack, on sale
T-shirt: $50
Button-up: $125
Trainers: $150
Boots: $500
Knit: $150
Sweatpants: $150

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
This place has only really affected my perceptions of jeans, suits and shoes. I've been paying about $100 for a shirt for a long time now. However, this really is a microsm for overspending relative to the rest of the population. I reckon MC may even be more skewed. Big timers there spend $2000 min on a suit, multiple times a year.

They spend that on shoes alone.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I ever venture further into MC-esque clothing I'd spend much more on shoes than suits as HK bespoke seems to be sufficient.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
where are all these $100 t-shirts from?
I've got a Geller, Odyn Vovk, and N. Hoolywood, all I feel were pretty worth it for the use they get Rick def. not worth the entry price at retail, but Julius and other stuff might be..

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
where are all these $100 t-shirts from?

most expensive tshirt i have is that fingerprint MMM shirt and i bought that **** on sale (for like 100 i think).

id say most raf and MMM tshirts are over 100.
******* prorsum tshirts are like 270+!
i think rick tshirts are like 700 or something ridiculous.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
I've got a Geller, Odyn Vovk, and N. Hoolywood, all I feel were pretty worth it for the use they get

Originally Posted by Joqur
rick/julius/bbs/etc(you know em).

Originally Posted by sq4you
most expensive tshirt i have is that fingerprint MMM shirt and i bought that **** on sale (for like 100 i think).

id say most raf and MMM tshirts are over 100.
******* prorsum tshirts are like 270+!
i think rick tshirts are like 700 or something ridiculous.

I guess I'm not used to wearing t-shirts enough to drop that, hahaa. SILENT by damir doma seems pretty nice at a lower retail than the above but i'd still hesitate there.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm not used to wearing t-shirts enough to drop that, hahaa. SILENT by damir doma seems pretty nice at a lower retail than the above but i'd still hesitate there.
I wear button-ups like once a week, whereas I wear a t-shirt every day. My N. Hoolywood cotton/cash shirt has been through 100+ wears and 20 or so washes, still feels fresh. Vovk is getting there, it's nice to have tees that look better with wear, rather than Hanes ones that stretch out like a wizard's robe

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
jeans: 300 (still only have two pairs so it's a bit high)
button-down: 150
cardigan: 400
t-shirt: 5

how is this possible? all your recent purchases recently have been monsters

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads