or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread - Page 113

post #1681 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Perfect example of what I'm saying.

just different tubes, so slightly different characteristics between the two. tubes burn out after a while, and replacing them (and often upgrading them) is easy.
post #1682 of 4234
Yeah, I was going to say one over the other has nothing to do with being ripped off, it is just different.
post #1683 of 4234
good article on 6L6 vs. EL-34. I've played EL-34's for years (current DSL401 has EL-84's from the original owner), but probably wouldn't notice the difference between them and a 6L6 unless righteously cranked. On that note, I'd probably be better served by 6L6, but I'm stubborn to change.


http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/08/6l6-vs-el-34-feel-the-power-of-your-amps-power-section/
post #1684 of 4234
EDIT: Gomestar already answered Piob what the Tubes are.
post #1685 of 4234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Yeah, I was going to say one over the other has nothing to do with being ripped off, it is just different.

But I didn't know that. It could just as easily be a value proposition issue.
post #1686 of 4234
While gome would be better served with 6L6's I don't think it is a value issue. The tradition "Marshall" tone you think of when you hear the word downright IS EL-34's. They substituted 6L6's because they physically are more rugged and reliable and won't get broken and last longer. It was a business decision because Marshall was sick of having to replace tubes. Fender' tone, for example IS 6L6, they just happen to benefit from the reliability of the tube. One is not better than the other, but in general fans of one tube vs. the other tend to gravitate towards one brand over the other.

It is also important to note that you aren't going to hear that much a difference in the tubes unless you are pushing them a bit. So a shredder using a lot of pre-amp gain, or pedals likely won't care whether he is playing 6L6's or EL-34's. If you are trying to sound like Angus Young it is crucial.
post #1687 of 4234
i think guitarists tend to fetishize tubes too much. Not the inclusion of tubes, but the types. A while ago, I was discussing the deep tones that the EL-34's gave me on a DSL100, and how that deepness wasn't present in another amp (it was a Boogie, but i forget which one) that was powered by 6L6's. I declared my love for the EL-34 deepness, but was totally ignoring a huge part of amp tone - the circuitry.
post #1688 of 4234
also, on the used market, guitar and amp mods tends to be fairly infrequent in most segments. One's odds of finding a guitar with a dumb sticker on it is far more likely than finding a guitar with messed up routing or wiring. I think some of the reasons for this are because of the risk of hurting guitar value (especially given the active trade market), the fact that factory guitars are actually pretty well equiped and any upgrades are exactly that, and because there's like 900 versions of the Stratocaster out there so most any player can find their idea guitar without mods. In the case that mods and upgrades do happen, most chages are actually documented for an easy switch back.


It's guitars like the ones used for weird goth shredding songs that tend to see the most wierd modifications. They love being different no matter what the expense.
post #1689 of 4234
Thread Starter 
post #1690 of 4234
what about the Avril Lavigne Telecaster?
post #1691 of 4234
It's so funny that I used to actually have a wish list of guitars I wanted to acquire. Now that all my playing is either in a live setting or preparing for that, I only use one. LOL
post #1692 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

But I didn't know that. It could just as easily be a value proposition issue.

Piob, I know you're trying to be a good consumer and all, but it isn't like you're looking for a $200k 1959 Les Paul only to be sold a $3000 knockoff, losing $197,000 in the process. You're looking at Epiphones and the like - what's the worst that can happen? You end up with an Epiphone with non-original pickups that to you sound totally fine but you may lose $100 resale value? Buying new you've already lost just as much by leaving the store. A guitar is a simple thing - it's not going to break down after 500 miles like a bad used car, and even if it does, it probably just has a loose solder joint.

Amps are a bit more complicated, though, and a lot of the cheap new Chinese ones can't be fixed easily because of their tiny, crazy circuit boards, but if you followed my advice, which was to look for old, low wattage amps, then they are often easily fixable because everything was handwired back in the 50's and 60's so even if you have problems, an amp tech can easily help you out. Good luck fixing a Valvetronix.
post #1693 of 4234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

Piob, I know you're trying to be a good consumer and all, but it isn't like you're looking for a $200k 1959 Les Paul only to be sold a $3000 knockoff, losing $197,000 in the process. You're looking at Epiphones and the like - what's the worst that can happen? You end up with an Epiphone with non-original pickups that to you sound totally fine but you may lose $100 resale value? Buying new you've already lost just as much by leaving the store. A guitar is a simple thing - it's not going to break down after 500 miles like a bad used car, and even if it does, it probably just has a loose solder joint.

Amps are a bit more complicated, though, and a lot of the cheap new Chinese ones can't be fixed easily because of their tiny, crazy circuit boards, but if you followed my advice, which was to look for old, low wattage amps, then they are often easily fixable because everything was handwired back in the 50's and 60's so even if you have problems, an amp tech can easily help you out. Good luck fixing a Valvetronix.

Next guitar will be a bit more. Gomey has succeeded in getting me interested in a Strat. Strats, from what I can tell, are rife with what I'm talking about. MIMs, MIJs? Pickups, necks, etc? Just perfect for me getting ripped off.
post #1694 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Next guitar will be a bit more. Gomey has succeeded in getting me interested in a Strat. Strats, from what I can tell, are rife with what I'm talking about. MIMs, MIJs? Pickups, necks, etc? Just perfect for me getting ripped off.

You're not getting ripped off unless it is a fake. Anything else is just not big enough of a deal to matter, even at MIJ prices. And guess what - you have a great resource to spot fakes - us!
post #1695 of 4234
the only real ripoff i see present in the Strat market is in the vintage pieces where a '57 can go for $20K+, and so there's a lot of hounds out there looking to counterfeit and profit. Here's it's imperative to have an expert look through each and every piece of the guitar and check body date vs. neck date vs. serial #'s vs pot dates, etc, etc, etc.


everything else you list, mij, mim, pickups, necks, really has nothing to do with ripoff, but preference. There's a number of different neck shapes and body types and pickup types that Fender has used throughout the years. Most of this comes down to that small preference. I'm pretty stubborn with the '60's reissues (note: even in the 60's, there were multiple neck shapes), though you may find a preference in a '50's reissue or even something like an Eric Clapton signature. It's really no different with Gibson/Epiphone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread