or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1185

post #17761 of 19574
Mine just get heavily scuffed
post #17762 of 19574
I have a pair of Lobb gold museum calf oxfords and the toe area is definitely darker.
I do tend to do a mirror shine every other polishing. Not sure if that has added to the effect...
post #17763 of 19574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon View Post

I have a pair of Lobb gold museum calf oxfords and the toe area is definitely darker.
I do tend to do a mirror shine every other polishing. Not sure if that has added to the effect...

But the key there is "naturally." If you are applying polish and especially if it is even slightly off from the base colour it will indeed darken the leather. All polishes have dyes in them.

In any case, my biases are showing so take this all with a grain of salt.

Tastier that way too.
post #17764 of 19574
Bad for the heart!
post #17765 of 19574
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


I hope you understand that although I'm not a big fan of any "antiquing"...preferring to let the leather age naturally...what I was saying is that your example posted above makes sense to me--far more than "reverse antiquing"--where toes/heels are darkened. Toes and heels darkening up just doesn't happen in the wild.nod[1].gif

--

 

DWFII, familiar with your posts and understand your perspective. I think it's interesting that the artificial patina (couldn't think of a better phrase!) we are known for is actually 'art imitating life'. Best, Foster & Son

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

FosterandSon - great job on the fading - the effect is quite beautiful.

 

RogerP,

 

Many thanks for your kind words.

 

I feel it's probably time to own up, the shoes in the photos are actually mine. They'll be in the shop window in Jermyn Street for a while so that people can see them for themselves, I just hope that no-one wants to try on a UK 7! They're on our new 30029 rtw last and fit like a glove, best fit of any rtw shoe I've ever had, it runs a little bigger than the 337 (I'm a 7.5 in that last which fits me well).

 

FYI I also own a pair of the Chaves too and from  an aesthetic point of view I'm torn between them

 

Best,

 

Foster & Son

post #17766 of 19574
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

It actually makes more sense than the 'antiquing" we see on many other shoes. The heel and toe are areas that would get rubbed or sunburnt or worn more than the quarters or the facings or the joint area of the vamp.

In natural antiquing, it's those areas, of any object, that are least exposed to the elements that darken most with age.

Yet common practice is to artificially darken those very areas...sometime garishly...that are most exposed--such as the end of the toe and the heel. In my opinion, and it's opinion only...that's closer to tie-dyeing than antiquing.

Just one early snap of a renovation project I am going to post on SF but which reinforces DWFII's comment on real antiquing vs fake.

My mission (should I accept it) is to save the antiquing... whilst rehabbing the shoes.

These are a 50 year old pair of C&Js 10.5 E UK I picked up this week.

They is the Real McCoy. A product of 50 years of applied love. Incidentally they were Topyied too!


Edited by meister - 11/8/13 at 3:46pm
post #17767 of 19574
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post

Just one early snap of a renovation project I am going to post on SF but which reinforces DWFII's comment on real antiquing vs fake.

My mission (should I accept it) is to save the antiquing... whilst rehabbing the shoes.
These are a 50 year old pair of C&Js 10.5 E UK I picked up this week.


I wasn't going to comment on this but the photo really shows exactly how a shoe will naturally age and get patina in the wild. My eyes keep coming back to the facings (I suspect the binding was always lighter than the vamp/quarters), and the pipes/rolls across the joint in the forepart, and the darkening of age not only at the edges of the broguing but on the" underside" of the toe.

Big job...should you accept it.

Thanks, Meister.
post #17768 of 19574
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

I wasn't going to comment on this but the photo really shows exactly how a shoe will naturally age and get patina in the wild. My eyes keep coming back to the facings (I suspect the binding was always lighter than the vamp/quarters), and the pipes/rolls across the joint in the forepart, and the darkening of age not only at the edges of the broguing but on the" underside" of the toe.

Big job...should you accept it.

Thanks, Meister.

Yes it's Saturday Sydney time, so this morning I had a chat with Nick Pascuzzo the local Manly cobbler who is a trained shoemaker despite being only 37!

I set the task that I want him to do.

A complete reboot - but the real task is to save the patina etched into the uppers. I want a shoe that keeps that upper patina but rehabbed from a shoe perspective inside and below.

Nick is going to strip the bottoms off, hand re-welt and patch the odd hidden spot from inside and resole and heel them.

Then we are going to clean them (without ruining the patina) and revivify the leather as much as possible with Colonill 1909 and Pecards I suspect.

Finally we will do a step by step photo collage of the process as it evolves and which will go on SF and his website.
post #17769 of 19574

meister,

 

Sounds like a fantastic undertaking, hand re-welting and full restoration (in the proper sense of the word). Looking forward to this.

 

Foster & Son

post #17770 of 19574

Good luck Meister!

post #17771 of 19574
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post


great specs!

the first 2 above are really cool ... then the white and brown is really spectacular .... congratulations

post #17772 of 19574
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterandSon View Post

 

RogerP,

 

Many thanks for your kind words.

 

I feel it's probably time to own up, the shoes in the photos are actually mine. They'll be in the shop window in Jermyn Street for a while so that people can see them for themselves, I just hope that no-one wants to try on a UK 7! They're on our new 30029 rtw last and fit like a glove, best fit of any rtw shoe I've ever had, it runs a little bigger than the 337 (I'm a 7.5 in that last which fits me well).

 

FYI I also own a pair of the Chaves too and from  an aesthetic point of view I'm torn between them

 

Best,

 

Foster & Son

 

Congrats on the shoes - and good of you to share them here and on display in the shop window.  I certainly find the end result to be both beautiful and distinctive and see no need to describe it as "fake".  We all have our personal aesthetic preferences, of course, but certainly there is no pretense as to the fact that this was a deliberate process undertaken to achieve a specific aesthetic result.  I am interested in your earlier comment about the process being carefully undertaken so as not to weaken the shoe - can you explain what some of the pitfalls are and how they are avoided?

 

As with Malford, I have also experienced a darkening of the toe on older shoes with the passage of time.  I attribute this to the cumulative effect of more frequently applying polish to the most scuffed area of the shoe.  I had never regarded polishing as an "unnatural" process within the context of proper shoe care, so I am not sure that I embrace the consequent darkening as being an unnatural effect.

 

Then again, I have seem some battered, scuffed and poorly cared-for shoes lauded for their "natural patina" and have simply smiled quietly to myself.

post #17773 of 19574
I was happy to have found a Cheaney sample boot in a museum calf like color on eBay but received them like this:





Teared leather and large cracks. What can cause this? Dried out leather?
post #17774 of 19574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweino View Post

I was happy to have found a Cheaney sample boot in a museum calf like color on eBay but received them like this: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Teared leather and large cracks. What can cause this? Dried out leather?

Without actually inspecting the shoe, it's hard to say for sure but I think those are toast. The leather looks not only dry but dead. Red-rot comes next.
post #17775 of 19574
Had to Google red-rot but that pretty much describes the leather on these boots DWF. Strange since these are new boots and not used ones. Incorrect storage maybe the cause I guess.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rot_(leather)

Actual auction:http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121205763258
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II