• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to Semi-Casual Style

DeusExa

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a student - which means there are very few opportunities to actually "dress up" formally for anything. However, there are casual dinners with friends/acquaintances as well as semi-formal events (I'm also a tech journalist intern) that a "polo+jeans" isn't quite appropriate for. I usually just wear a grey dress shirt+designer jeans (7FAM or TR, slim/slim bootcut in blue-black wash), but I'm thinking that I should start developing my semi-formal wardrobe (which is mostly either casual or strictly formal at this moment), since I'm going to be in that environment quite a bit now. Anyone have any pointers, tips, suggestions? Thanks!

P.S. I'm 6", ~150 lbs, moderately slender, light medium-skin tone, and have a reasonably athletic build - swimming as a hobby/school, and cycling at an amateur-competitive level. Also, I live in SoCal, but will travel constantly to NorCal.

bubbleboys

Reaction score
I'm a fashion neophyte so if any more experienced member says I'm wrong, listen to them but I do a lot of semi-formal events. I became a big fan of jeans, dress shoes, collared shirt, and my suit jacket to top it off. I personally feel that the suit jacket brought it together because
a) no one else wore one or very few did
b) it made me seem older and thus more mature than I really was (people keep thinking I'm 27-28 and I'm only 22).

that's my two cents

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by malefic
You need a more specific question for responses to be of any use to you. I read that twice and I know you're in journalism, you wear 7FAM/TR (you will get flak here for TR especially), and you swim, but I don't have a clear idea of what you're asking.

i'm curious as to why TR is so disliked? Is it just because it's so popular?

I ran a search on TR for this forum and I found plenty of people saying they didn't like TR but nobody ever seemed to say specifically why they didn't like TR.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys

I ran a search on TR for this forum and I found plenty of people saying they didn't like TR but nobody ever seemed to say specifically why they didn't like TR.

I would venture to say that it is because the jeans are priced as a branded status symbol and not for quality. You can take a decent pair of AE jeans and put the funny little "U" stitching on the back and charge $100+ and the public would buy them. There isn't a specific dye or selvedge stitching that makes them worth it whereas Nudie or APC are individually crafted using superior stitching/dying/washing processes. Same concept as buying shoes.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys

jon-1.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Semi-formal is another term for "black tie." From your original post, it sounds like you're trying to pick up some business casual clothes?

I would take a look at the WAYWRN thread pinned at the head of the forum for some ideas.

In terms of a good place to pick up coats and trousers - I can personally recommend Brooks Brothers, BB 346, Polo Ralph Lauren, and (gasp) Banana Republic. Alternatively, look on eBay for out of season versions of same at a substantial discount.

Mountains

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear anything more than a dress shirt, chinos/slacks, and a blazer/sport coat for most things you would consider to be "semi-formal." I may be in a minority on this forum, but I don't see the need to pointlessly overdress and antagonize yourself.

On TR: the quality isn't bad, per se, but TR is known for two things: distressed jeans, and obnoxiously loud branding. Neither one of them are particularly popular here.

Mountains

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Are we talking about LA Semi-Formal? oh dear God...

Unless I'm mistaken, yes. I very much doubt the OP is inquiring about semi-formal dress code.

DeusExa

Reaction score
I just changed the thread title to "Semi-Casual", since I just realized that semi-formal terminology meant pretty much formal, not what I'm actually looking for. Basically, I'd like to see suggestions for what further lies in "semi-casual" attire, (right now, all I wear is polo/solid dress shirt + designer jeans). Also, it's getting chilly here, so some outerwear would be fine too. I browsed around and this is along the lines of what l I think I'm looking for: http://9.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kta...opmto1_400.jpg http://www.kinowear.com/images/sweater_shirt.jpg http://www.jaeger.co.uk/images/press...e89_01_138.jpg http://www.jaeger.co.uk/images/press...e88_01_138.jpg On another note, I prefer 7FAM over TR, and would wear 7FAM exclusively if it weren't for some outrageous deals on some really nice TRs...but also have been looking to try R&R.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
jon-1.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words. Semi-formal is another term for "black tie." From your original post, it sounds like you're trying to pick up some business casual clothes? I would take a look at the WAYWRN thread pinned at the head of the forum for some ideas. In terms of a good place to pick up coats and trousers - I can personally recommend Brooks Brothers, BB 346, Polo Ralph Lauren, and (gasp) Banana Republic. Alternatively, look on eBay for out of season versions of same at a substantial discount.

^^^Well said. May I suggest these as a pair of chinos. PRL may not get the love of Incotex around here but these are damn good chinos and fit excellent. A good pair of chinos can be versatile as semi-casual or an alternative to jeans.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeusExa
I just changed the thread title to "Semi-Casual", since I just realized that semi-formal terminology meant pretty much formal, not what I'm actually looking for.

Basically, I'd like to see suggestions for what further lies in "semi-casual" attire, (right now, all I wear is polo/solid dress shirt + designer jeans). Also, it's getting chilly here, so some outerwear would be fine too.

I browsed around and this is along the lines of what l I think I'm looking for:

http://9.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kta...opmto1_400.jpg
http://www.kinowear.com/images/sweater_shirt.jpg
http://www.jaeger.co.uk/images/press...e89_01_138.jpg
http://www.jaeger.co.uk/images/press...e88_01_138.jpg

On another note, I prefer 7FAM over TR, and would wear 7FAM exclusively if it weren't for some outrageous deals on some really nice TRs...but also have been looking to try R&R.

To be honest friend there isn't really anything special about these items save the fit. The real killer is how it fits you.

DeusExa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
To be honest friend there isn't really anything special about these items save the fit. The real killer is how it fits you.

I'm not really looking for anything specific at the moment - just trying to break into the "genre".

malefic

Reaction score
I'm not really looking for anything specific at the moment - just trying to break into the "genre".
Well if you have no specific criteria you can go to town. Take some exact measurements of things that fit you so you can buy things that will suit you without alterations and then check the B&S forum (or eBay, or SuFu, or your local Nordstrom Rack/Off 5th Ave/whatever) for something that appeals to you. You have some idea of what you want, clearly, since you posted those photos of things that you liked, so just browse around and look for some items that you can afford and will fit you. Then buy them.
fistbump.gif

KPO89

Reaction score

Well then the best advice I think any of us can give you is peruse the WAYWRN threads...see what our poster boys wear and then take what you like to make your own style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads