• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you do if you won the lottery?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What would you do if you won a lump sum of $50MM after taxes? Forget the logistics and the chances - no one wants to hear your boring ass drone on about "the lotto is a tax for stoopid people" and "I would find a good lawyer and put my money in a trust fund first so I could claim it anonymously blah blah". Get straight to the fun part. What would I do? 1) I wouldn't live lavishly. I would just do whatever I felt like without every worrying about money again, given that 4% interest a year would give me a nice salary base of $2MM. 2) I would travel (on a budget) for 2-3 years or until I got tired of it. I'd like to visit all the continents. The only things I would not be cheap on would be excursions and drinks. Definitely would stay at small guesthouses and hostels though. Would try to pick up some languages and skills through lessons with experts. 3) I'd probably get a degree in English/writing or Psychology after that, in some place other than the US. 4) I would have apartments in NY, Tokyo, Bangkok, Melbourne, Tuscany, Buenos Aires, and Stockholm. 5) I'd probably become a novelist or a research psychologist. If the former, I would try to change the country I live in every few months or years. See, nothing too fancy. Just want the security of not having to work corporate, being able to travel, and being able to provide for a future family without worry. Edit: Whatever I did not spend of the $2MM a year I would give to some sort of NGO of my choice.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Download all the iPhone's apps.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4) I would have apartments in NY, Tokyo, Bangkok, Melbourne, Tuscany, Buenos Aires, and Stockholm.

with only 50MM?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
4) I would have apartments in NY, Tokyo, Bangkok, Melbourne, Tuscany, Buenos Aires, and Stockholm.

with only 50MM?

Not planning to live lavishly remember. At $2MM a pop I would very easily be able to afford 5-6 apartments with 10-20 year terms and have more than enough left over to fund travel/living expenses.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would leave and travel around the world as soon as the check clears and come back when I'm ready. After, I would buy my dream home and live a modest life without worrying about finances.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would first establish a homebase somewhere in Scotland, not sure where at this point. I would then travel Europe, by train and by land, extensively. I would also seek tuition for music, from a well established instructor of note.

I would travel by renting flats in the cities I visit, for a few weeks at a time. So for Paris, I would rent a nice flat somewhere, and spend a month just doing Paris, and letting the city culture sink in. After a few years of doing this, I'm sure I would be a different person, as the entire work ethic will have slipped away, so can only plan out that far.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd buy and sell all of you.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i will buy 50 million 2taco for 99cents deals at jack and the box.

the tax would SO break you.

As for me: the first thing I would do is set up a trust fund so that my children, and the children of my friends, so attend college. Wherever they want and can get in.

Second thing: travel, modestly.

After that - who knows?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold plated helicopter.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I would first establish a homebase somewhere in Scotland, not sure where at this point. I would then travel Europe, by train and by land, extensively. I would also seek tuition for music, from a well established instructor of note.

I would travel by renting flats in the cities I visit, for a few weeks at a time. So for Paris, I would rent a nice flat somewhere, and spend a month just doing Paris, and letting the city culture sink in. After a few years of doing this, I'm sure I would be a different person, as the entire work ethic will have slipped away, so can only plan out that far.

Wow, a new side of Mr. Piobaire. I am impressed.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

I think this would be more of a hassle than it's worth. I'd buy one city place, one country place, and for traveling just stay in hotels.

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
5) I'd probably become a novelist or a research psychologist. If the former, I would try to change the country I live in every few months or years.

Writing long fiction is incredibly difficult to do well. Beyond the difficulty, it takes real dedication, which might not come so easy with $50 mil in the bank and all the world in which to play.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would buy styleforvm and kick out anyone who dares to challenge me

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Would buy styleforvm and kick out anyone who dares to challenge me

Will it be much fun, posting to yourself?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads