or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 362

post #5416 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soletrane View Post

I have the discontinued large carry-on 242 which is similar to the small Pullman. I think this more like a traditional. suitcase - you put folded clothes in it, it keeps everything tidy and you don't plan to go in and out of the bag. I use this for car trips when visiting in-laws. I can pack more clothing in it than a small duffle or Sportsman and throw it in the trunk or back of the truck.

I don't like it nearly as much as an airline carry-on as the clamshell design is not optimum for quickly pulling items in or out. But I sometimes use it for air travel when I just want more capacity in my carry-on as I am not checking anything.

Have to agree on that you wouldn't want a clamshell design if you're going to rummage the content frequently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA View Post

I don't think many customers if any would expect Filson to take a bag back because they had buyer's remorse AFTER using the bag which isn't at all defective.  

I also think the whole quality argument is overblown.  I have some older Filson bags as well as some newer ones.  I'd say the older ones look and feel sturdier, but I've not had issues with any of them.  I think Filson still offers a quality product that is close if not the same in some respects to what they've always offered (in my experience).  

Well, going by how CS work for AE and Filson. I do think their service reps are out to please and they are given certain level of leeway in retaining customer satisfaction (on non-second goods) based on past experiences with them.

As for the quality issues, it's something that remains to be seen say 5-10 years down the road. I'll just lurk around here with my "I told you so" retort till then (kidding...).
post #5417 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit402 View Post

Mgrennier, you have the best color combo of that bag by far. Why they would remove such a good color combo is beyond me.

The two tone is a limited time only bag like those heavy tin cloth editions of 257 and Harris Tweed version of the 256s.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrennier View Post

Since we're all on the pictures kick tonight, here is a shot of my medium travel bag next to my navy 72/24 hour bag in the Minneapolis airport tonight.

I think I'm going to sell this medium travel to fund a meridian.

Am curious, any reason why the MTB isn't doing it for you? Traded my 266 for the MTB actually icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #5418 of 5977
Letsi, so you're saying they will be bringing back the monotone colors for the heritage sportsman?
post #5419 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit402 View Post

Letsi, so you're saying they will be bringing back the monotone colors for the heritage sportsman?


I meant this version of the heritage sportsman made with Tan Twill and Dark Tan Tin cloth actually, I assume it didn't sell well for some reason (like the Harris tweed 256s) so can't see it on the Filson site anymore.

I don't recall them having a monotone heritage sportsman unless you're referring to the one I linked above, to be honest. There have been so many minor variations of the heritage sportsman. You could see various style in the below links.

http://hypebeast.com/2015/4/filson-2015-limited-edition-collection
http://desotocc.com/?pid=89455387
^ I like this version, it retains some of the old 266 features and outlook.

http://www.zappos.com/filson-original-sportsman-bag

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/filson-heritage-sportsman-bag/3543747
Edited by letsi - 12/14/15 at 2:25am
post #5420 of 5977
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
post #5421 of 5977

Letsi.  I love the size of the Medium Travel Bag.  Really do.  I like the simplicity of the bag, the lines are clean and it really screams THIS IS A FILSON. (which I like).  Some of the downsides (in my opinion) outweigh the positives.  Namely - when you load it up to its capacity, it forms a very awkward shape when carrying.  It's basically like carrying a cardboard box with a nice shoulder strap!  

 

When it's 1/2 to maybe 3/4 full, it's sweet. I think it's sweet because it collapses in a bit on the top to make it a little less "boxy" and therefore easier to carry.  

 

The other thing that people talk about is that the location of the strap points cause it to flip over when picking it up.  I've experienced this myself a few times.  It's totally manageable and all that, but it's just a bit odd sometimes.  Again - this only really happens when it's full.  

 

It's funny - I'm sitting here in some random Marriott and the MTB is here with me on the trip.  Going home, it will be more fully loaded than when I brought it and it's definitely going to feel extra boxy tomorrow morning!

 

1/2 to 3/4 full?  It's AWESOME.

Full?  Not so sure.

 

Will the Meridian be better for me?  Who knows?  

post #5422 of 5977
I sgree the MTB looks boxy and maybe not optimal to carry for any distance (the duffles are more streamlined in that respect) - but it would seem that the same boxy shape allows you to pack a lot of clothing neatly in relatively compact dimensions. The new Filson bags are narrow in comparison so clothes would have to be packed differently maybe?
post #5423 of 5977

The other thing too is that it's rather heavy and one of the leather strap attachments on my navy MTB came off after just 5 times of use.

post #5424 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrennier View Post

Letsi.  I love the size of the Medium Travel Bag.  Really do.  I like the simplicity of the bag, the lines are clean and it really screams THIS IS A FILSON. (which I like).  Some of the downsides (in my opinion) outweigh the positives.  Namely - when you load it up to its capacity, it forms a very awkward shape when carrying.  It's basically like carrying a cardboard box with a nice shoulder strap!  

When it's 1/2 to maybe 3/4 full, it's sweet. I think it's sweet because it collapses in a bit on the top to make it a little less "boxy" and therefore easier to carry.  

The other thing that people talk about is that the location of the strap points cause it to flip over when picking it up.  I've experienced this myself a few times.  It's totally manageable and all that, but it's just a bit odd sometimes.  Again - this only really happens when it's full.  

It's funny - I'm sitting here in some random Marriott and the MTB is here with me on the trip.  Going home, it will be more fully loaded than when I brought it and it's definitely going to feel extra boxy tomorrow morning!

1/2 to 3/4 full?  It's AWESOME.
Full?  Not so sure.

Will the Meridian be better for me?  Who knows?  

Mgrennier, I think I understand what was the issue. I had the same problem with 266 when I packed it to the brim, just too bulky to hand carry but haven't encountered this on my MTB yet as I've not maxed its carrying capacity so far. I suspect I would run into the same issue again in this case.

Have you considered the small Pullman since based on specs, it should distribute the load more vertically instead of width wise (if that makes sense)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatic View Post

The other thing too is that it's rather heavy and one of the leather strap attachments on my navy MTB came off after just 5 times of use.

Um, I think this has nothing to do with the MTB (I see it as quality/qc issue as I had the same problem before on my 257 and had to do an exchange) since the strap attachments on MTB are the same across the filson luggage range.
post #5425 of 5977
The strap attachments for the small Pullman are both one side of the bag. The same set-up on my large carry-on 242 makes for an awkward carry by strap despite the narrower dimensions of the bag compared to an MTB. The bag when loaded seems to tilt away from your body rather than lie flush with it. It's a bit better when the strap is cross-body but still an issue.
post #5426 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soletrane View Post

The strap attachments for the small Pullman are both one side of the bag. The same set-up on my large carry-on 242 makes for an awkward carry by strap despite the narrower dimensions of the bag compared to an MTB. The bag when loaded seems to tilt away from your body rather than lie flush with it. It's a bit better when the strap is cross-body but still an issue.

That's a good point there. I suppose only the duffles are able to hug and stay close/flush with the body due to its shape and length...
post #5427 of 5977
Letsi, this was the redeeming feature of the small duffle, IMHO, it carried nicely when full. Even the medium duffle carries well for a bag of that size. And I suppose all the totes - by definition and by my own anecdotal experience with 3 different versions.
post #5428 of 5977
Picked up a navy 257—pretty disappointed with the thinness of the twill. Totally different from my brown field bag. I saw some people post a while back that the twill is the same weight, just finished differently (less wax, presumably). Any consensus on how accurate this is? The Filson site still lists it as 22 oz, which just seems like bullshit to me. Thinking I should exchange it for brown or tan, which is a shame, because the navy is otherwise quite pretty.
post #5429 of 5977
I have the navy backpack from mr porter. Twill is very soft and thinner than previous years 256 in tan
post #5430 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa View Post

Picked up a navy 257—pretty disappointed with the thinness of the twill. Totally different from my brown field bag. I saw some people post a while back that the twill is the same weight, just finished differently (less wax, presumably). Any consensus on how accurate this is? The Filson site still lists it as 22 oz, which just seems like bullshit to me. Thinking I should exchange it for brown or tan, which is a shame, because the navy is otherwise quite pretty.

Yeah, it's bs. I measured them a while back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Just for shits and giggles, I broke out my digital calipers and measured the thickness of a few similar areas of tan, brown, and navy Filson briefcases. Navy was consistently about 10-15% thinner.

Edit - more specifically, I measured 2 points on all bags - the top flaps (two pieces of fabric sewn together), and the back pockets (one piece of fabric folded over). Took a few measurements for each location for each bag. Navy material is 16-17% thinner than tan in both locations, and 12-13% thinner than brown on my bags (I have a brown 256, tan 257, navy 258).

Also fwiw, the moss heavy tin briefcase is about 24% thicker than the tan twill (measured using only the back pocket, as the top layer of the flap is a different material).

This is probably more info than anyone really cares about. Obviously, I was bored.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures