• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tying a sweater around neck

calvinloke

Reaction score
As above, I find that this had been done by most of the people here. Typically they just tie a knot with the sleeves in front of their necks and let the rest hang at the back. So, is this a good look? What's your take?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find I don't do it for a look so much as utility.

calvinloke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
if you have to ask, it probably doesn't look right on you

I don't have the problem with the look really. As I'm living in a hot country, I find doing so helps a lot to get rid of the heat when I walk out from air-conditioned buildings.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen people fold one cuff inside the other, which looks quite clean and doesn't strangle you...

james25

Reaction score
looks quite preppy and poncy in my humble opinion

Frodo

Reaction score
I think it looks affected, especially if noone ever saw the person actually wearing the sweater. Often it seems the sweater was chosen as more of a necklace than a garment. I've worn sweaters in the morning, got warm, and pulled them off. Usually i just throw it on my back and pull the the sleeves over my shoulders like straps on a backpack. The friction in the sweater's cloth usually holds it in place for anything except running.

I'd rather be uncomfortable than look affected.
facepalm.gif

pikutata

Reaction score
i do it all the time. In malaysia the temperature are around 32 to 36 degrees, but during classes the air-conditioner are set to 16degrees...thats very cold over here. and i usually wear a sweater in classes, howver after classes as my bag are too full woth books, stuffing a sweater in it is not a good idea, i tie it around my neck, and sometimes around my waist.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Wherever there is a need to do it,
and the need can be justified, then it is always fine.
The 'look' of it, is purely incidental.

Examples given from the members previous posts make perfect sense to me.
It is also a common look wherever water-related activity is.
Waterfront strolls, boats, beaches, etc.

Mature people and women tend to wrap around the neck,
whereas teens and children often wrap around the waistline.

The 'look' of it suggests the person is prepared for fluctuations in temperature,
so, as far as I am concerned, it looks fine on anyone.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
I find I don't do it for a look so much as utility.

+1

Temperatures can often swing around during the day here, esp. if there's cloud/rain during the day. Tying a sweater round the neck then becomes a quick & easy way of carrying it.

Having said that, I'm not a big sweater person in general, preferring to throw on a jacket instead, so I don't do this look often simply because I don't wear sweaters much.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't tie the sleeves. It looks less affected that way.

Usually the weight and friction of sweater against shirt is enough to keep it on your shoulders. Or, at least, my shoulders. I also tie it around the waist sometimes too though.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont particularly like it as a look but it beats holding the sweater in your hands. I HATE carrying stuff!

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james25
looks quite preppy and poncy in my humble opinion

Originally Posted by Frodo
I think it looks affected, especially if noone ever saw the person actually wearing the sweater. Often it seems the sweater was chosen as more of a necklace than a garment. I've worn sweaters in the morning, got warm, and pulled them off. Usually i just throw it on my back and pull the the sleeves over my shoulders like straps on a backpack. The friction in the sweater's cloth usually holds it in place for anything except running.

I'd rather be uncomfortable than look affected.
facepalm.gif

+1

but hey, if it works it works - I won't automatically think someone's a douche if they do this, but it will push me in that direction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads