• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consequences when trying to avoid custom charges by indicating a lower value...

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I frequently buy items over the internet from people outside the EU. When the value of the item is above €25 or so Dutch customs sometimes charges VAT and custom charges...
plain.gif

When I ask sellers to indicate the value is lower than what I actually paid this almost never seems a problem? And even when they open the parcel I think it would be quite difficult to accurately determine the value of clothing?

But are there any penalties for me or the seller when they suspect you intentionally provided false information about the value?

Thanks!

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You can't use insurance over the declare value so if the package is lost well you only get say 20€ back.

That is true but most items are not that valuable and it really sucks to pay €35 custom charges when you bought a 80 USD pair of pants for example...

And I experienced that things rarely get lost, it is a calculated risk I think
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
aside from defrauding the federeal government?

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
aside from defrauding the federeal government?

No, I think that is just the part I am interested in
smile.gif
Could you get a penalty and would it be the seller or the buyer who would be in trouble?

For instance, I ask the seller in the USA to indicate a value of 20 USD instead of 80 USD for the pants so I will not have to pay the custom charges here in The Netherlands?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 40kaas-nl
No, I think that is just the part I am interested in
smile.gif
Could you get a penalty and would it be the seller or the buyer who would be in trouble?

For instance, I ask the seller in the USA to indicate a value of 20 USD instead of 80 USD for the pants so I will not have to pay the custom charges here in The Netherlands?

if you ask the seller to put incorrect charges then you are defrauding your government. the chances or getting cought are pretty close to zero, so I wouldn't sweat it, but yes, you are breaking a law.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
They can revise the value at customs but I doubt you'll have to pay a penalty, never seen it in any country I've received/sent packages but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
if you ask the seller to put incorrect charges then you are defrauding your government. the chances or getting cought are pretty close to zero, so I wouldn't sweat it, but yes, you are breaking a law.

I realize it would be defrauding the Dutch government but could the guy in the USA get in trouble doing this?

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I realize it would be defrauding the Dutch government but could the guy in the USA get in trouble doing this?

Hypothetically.

I think the value of used stuff is only as much as you payed for them. So I think in an extreme case if the transaction is tracked, it is possible.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You can't use insurance over the declare value so if the package is lost well you only get say 20€ back.

that's not true...
UPS can insure an item for more than it's declared value.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ so can royal mail.

K

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

even less likely - essentially he isn't breaking a US law, he is breaking a dutch law. but, the US government could look at it unfavorably, because it shows a willingness to break laws, and could get him investigated for tax things.

we get requests all the time for this type of thing.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Worst case is that he would be snatched off the street and shipped to Guantanamo. It's not that common when you just understate the value. Marking it as a gift, however................

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads