• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why can't i have a black suit?

graphite

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first suit in the upcoming months.

numerous times, i've read on these forums as well as other fashion advice columns that a black suit is a no-go. what's with that?

i figured having a black suit would make a lot of sense, versatility-wise.

care to enlighten?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sapere aude.
(search function)

cgo

Reaction score
i'd have at least 1 black suit....a nice one that is

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the reasons usually given:

1)Black suits in day light (not so much at night) tend to be unflattering to a lot of complexions

2) Black suits tend to give too high a contrast with coloured shirts and ties making them look garish

3) You will look like a waiter/undertaker

For these reasons a charcoal or navy suit is actually more versatile - particularly the charcoal - as they will look better with your other clothes and be more flattering to your complexion.

in addition:

5) cheap black fabric tends to look worse than similarly cheap charcoal or navy fabric

6) A gentleman never wears a black suit in the day.

I am sure there are more, but are these not enough?

David Watts

Reaction score
Long before I discovered this forum, among others, I really wanted a black suit so I could look just like Steve McQueen in The Getaway. It was only until I was older and wiser that I finally realized: a) I'm no Steve McQueen b) Charcoal Suit > Black Suit

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many dark charcoal suits will look black in the right light. So will dark blue. So if you don't want to wear a black suit you shouldn't wear charcoal or dark blue either.

Some of this is cultural. The anti-black brigade seem to be mostly American. They also seem to have problems with pinstripes [classic business ] and promote grey suits [should only be worn with a cap by people who drive James home].

grey.JPG

If you aren't stuck with those sort of limits go black.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I see someone wearing a black suit I consider them to be sartorially inept. However I will look at their shoes first, always.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by graphite
i figured having a black suit would make a lot of sense, versatility-wise.
The problem is that a black suit is not versatile. There are virtually zero situations, except for funerals, where a charcoal or navy suit will not look better...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The problem is that a black suit is not versatile. There are virtually zero situations, except for funerals, where a charcoal or navy suit will not look better...
+1

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
These are the reasons usually given:

2) Black suits tend to give too high a contrast with coloured shirts and ties making them look garish

Absolutely true, and my favorite thing is when I see a black suiting jacket used in the context of a casual blazer. Talk about garish.....

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

Once again, couldn't agree more and it's something a lot of American men are just not getting. The few times I'll have to wear a black suit, I keeps it simple and super minimal, white shirt, black tie, white pocket square and not even a pop of color with the socks.

TEDSgrad

Reaction score
In the early 1900's, many pictures have men in black suits. Semi-formal has the black jacket (stroller). As has been said, around the world there is no aversion to the black suit.
I agree that quality (or lack ) is more easily seen in black. It is a solemn color (or lack of color).
I'm not a funeral only black suit wearer - I wear mine to church on Sunday every fifth or sixth week or even occasionally out to dinner. I do wear it judiciously, though. I like it.
If you want one, then buy it. Enter the world of suits and enjoy wearing one. Then you will buy others and come to appreciate color and texture. This harsh criticism of black suits probably turns more people off - who would enter the suit world and grow - than is necessary. This harsh criticism of most people's entry point into the suit world does our community no service. Come on in.
Formal day wear and the tux is now a costume. This community is trying to fight that, but we are not winning. If the black lounge suit fills the void left, I would encourage your interest and your education. That is how our community will advance, and the world will be a better place for it.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TEDSgrad
In the early 1900's, many pictures have men in black suits. Semi-formal has the black jacket (stroller). As has been said, around the world there is no aversion to the black suit.
I agree that quality (or lack ) is more easily seen in black. It is a solemn color (or lack of color).
I'm not a funeral only black suit wearer - I wear mine to church on Sunday every fifth or sixth week or even occasionally out to dinner. I do wear it judiciously, though. I like it.
If you want one, then buy it. Enter the world of suits and enjoy wearing one. Then you will buy others and come to appreciate color and texture. This harsh criticism of black suits probably turns more people off - who would enter the suit world and grow - than is necessary. This harsh criticism of most people's entry point into the suit world does our community no service. Come on in.
Formal day wear and the tux is now a costume. This community is trying to fight that, but we are not winning. If the black lounge suit fills the void left, I would encourage your interest and your education. That is how our community will advance, and the world will be a better place for it.

Dude.... seriously?

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TEDSgrad

WTF are you talking about?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn and would wear a Black suit again. My reasoning:
Originally Posted by youngscientist
These are the reasons usually given: 1)Black suits in day light (not so much at night) tend to be unflattering to a lot of complexions I guess I have one of those complexions that allows me to wear just about anything 2) Black suits tend to give too high a contrast with coloured shirts and ties making them look garish That actually may be true but I am careful with which colors I select 3) You will look like a waiter/undertaker I never wear black and white... unless its a tux For these reasons a charcoal or navy suit is actually more versatile - particularly the charcoal - as they will look better with your other clothes and be more flattering to your complexion. Charcoal and navy are better options but why would I allow that to stop me from having a more diverse wardrobe? in addition: 5) cheap black fabric tends to look worse than similarly cheap charcoal or navy fabric I cant be concerned with cheap fabrics 6) A gentleman never wears a black suit in the day. Ridiculous! I am sure there are more, but are these not enough?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads