My people. I have found them.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 12:14 pm in Classic Menswear
- Tie advice Last post on 6/10/12 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
Why the Four-in-hand is always better than the windsor knot
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?Last edited: 2/23/16
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Soporific Tie Pr0n - Page 115post #1711 of 20151/25/13 at 3:56pmpost #1712 of 20151/25/13 at 5:49pmpost #1713 of 20151/25/13 at 5:50pmpost #1714 of 20151/25/13 at 5:53pmpost #1715 of 20151/26/13 at 6:07amOK, well, to defend raw silk--I am a fan of just about any way of adding texture to, well, just about anything in my wardrobe, but especially ties. Raw silk is a way to do that. Further, in my mind, raw silk is one of the best ways to do that in a summery tie. Wool/cashmere is too wintery, so we need some sort of textured tie for the summer.
Of course, there are always knits, but its nice to have something to mix it up.post #1716 of 20151/26/13 at 6:48ampost #1717 of 20151/26/13 at 7:30am"Soporific" and "conservative" are not necessarily the same thing. It's entirely possible to own a tie that is unconservative, but nevertheless sleepy and tame. Ed's raw silk pindot is a good example. It's different enough -- especially with the raw silk -- to stand out as unconservative and probably inappropriate for true CBD. At the same time, it's pretty plain and uncaffeinated, so to speak, in its pattern and palette.
Other good examples would be the muted solid, or plainly striped, knit ties that pop up in this thread from time to time. Not CBD, per se, and more adventurous than 99% of the business world would wear. But soporific in appearance and effect, nonetheless.post #1718 of 20151/26/13 at 3:17pmpost #1719 of 20151/26/13 at 4:16pmpost #1720 of 20151/26/13 at 5:02pmpost #1721 of 20151/27/13 at 12:56amQuote:Originally Posted by aravenel
OK, well, to defend raw silk--I am a fan of just about any way of adding texture to, well, just about anything in my wardrobe, but especially ties. Raw silk is a way to do that. Further, in my mind, raw silk is one of the best ways to do that in a summery tie. Wool/cashmere is too wintery, so we need some sort of textured tie for the summer.
Of course, there are always knits, but its nice to have something to mix it up.
Raw silk as in silk with the natural coating has a matte look which is also different and interesting.
I think when gentlemen talk about a washing machine look they are thinking more of a rough silk which originally was woven by hand and now is still woven by hand in some countries and also woven by machine in places like Italy.
Some of the modern effect comes from the actual silk yarn and some of the look comes from the weaving.
Below is an example of a rough silk with lots of slubs that we wove and dyed by hand here in Thailand. To me it is not conservative because it is not what we wear day to day in the West but as Aravenel notes it is a very interesting look.
It is a solid gray tie and I'd say it is soporific but to another who is not familiar with this type of silk it may be to unusual to be considered soporific.
I am curious as to what others think is it soporific? Or is it exotic or possibly something that accidentally fell in the washing machine? - smiling...
I can say for sure that it is heavy silk with a very high slub content. I actually forget about this silk (one of a set of solid colors) and it has been sitting for years in our silk room.post #1722 of 20151/27/13 at 1:44ampost #1723 of 20151/27/13 at 2:18ampost #1724 of 20151/27/13 at 2:26ampost #1725 of 20151/28/13 at 8:56am
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?
Currently, there are 1477 Active Users (273 Members and 1204 Guests)
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Rider Boot Company 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green DOAK cadogan size uk9E last 202 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 21 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 25 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts