• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Graduate - New Suit for Job in Manhattan

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently graduated from college, and I am starting my finance career in Manhattan in a week.

I will be moving to the city this Saturday and I am finding the experience rather overwhelming.

Anyway, I am 5'11'' and 150ish lbs. Given this, I will need suits that have a slim fit.

Given my build, people, so far, have recommended the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald brand. However, isn't this brand a bit pricey? Also, what other brands should I be looking at? Is Jos A Bank any good?

I know Century 21 is great for shirts and ties, but do they really have a good selection of suits? I never paid attention when I was there.

Additionally, what stores in Manhattan would you recommend visiting, and what sales are going on or will be going on in the near future?

Ideally, I would like to spend roughly around $500 per suit, if possible.

rlx

Reaction score
When you get to NY, go to the BB Madison Ave. store -- Fitzgerald will be on sale.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlx
When you get to NY, go to the BB Madison Ave. store -- Fitzgerald will be on sale.
Yes, and the Fitzgerald should fit you quite well.

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Question: Does that BB Madison Ave store do alterations on site?

Also, what are your thoughts on the quality and affordability at other department stores in the city like Saks and Macy's?

up1bin

Reaction score
A BB Fitzgerald can be had for $500??? Last I checked on the BB website, it was something like $1500 for two, which is still $750 per suit...

Siggy

Reaction score
If still too expensive on sale try Jos. A. Bank "Joseph" line suit, but only buy on sale since JAB always has a sale.

JohnD356

Reaction score
If you have the time, head out to Woodbury Commons (bus from Port Authority if you don't have a car). It's far more pleasant than making the Century 21/Filene's rounds in Manhattan. Then take your new suits to a decent NYC tailor (Wilfreds, Dynasty...).

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Thanks John.

I have heard good things about Woodbury. Out of curiosity, how cheap could we possibly be talking in reference to suit prices at that outlet?

JohnD356

Reaction score
That will vary greatly by store and will depend on your goals. If you want to get a few Hugo Boss type suits to last you until you get settled into the job and start putting money away, you're probably looking at $350ish at Saks Off 5th/ Barney's Outlet (they'll have tons of Boss, Burberry, Varvatos suits). If you want better quality, you can head over to the Zegna, Hickey-Freeman Outlets. Their prices will depend on the sales going on. Hopefully someone here can give you a better idea.

If you're not sure what you want, I'd take a day to just look at stuff. Even go to the high-end stores on the East Side to see what cuts work for you. Then you'll be in a better position at Woodbury, Century 21 (tons of Boss, Varvatos, Burberry, some Polo, ect. Great for shirts) and Filene's.

Also: If you're going to Woodbury, sign up on their web site for their shopping club. They'll send you an email that will allow you to pick up a giant coupon book when you get there. Some really good coupons in there.

up1bin

Reaction score
I've had success w/ Sarar suits as well (I'm fairly on the slim side, but not quite as much as you are). They have locations in the Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ (just have to watch out for sales people that are kinda shady w/ the pricing math) and in Secaucus, NJ near the outlets.

You just have to take advantage of their sales - I ended up getting a 2 button Super 150's navy w/ stripes for $290 and it fits better than all the other suits I've owned.

Of course, I think it fits well but eventually I intend to take some photos and see what other SF'ers think...

Hyped31

Reaction score
I am in the same boat with the new work in Manhattan.

Woodbury Commons can be great. Saks off 5th is terrific for ties, shirts, etc. You can get a good name suit and have it tailored for that $500 budget.

The email lists are great because you can often get 40% off of suits that are already 50% off. My only bad experience is the sales people suggesting jacket sizes too large, but that seems to be a common theme in most stores.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnD356
If you have the time, head out to Woodbury Commons (bus from Port Authority if you don't have a car). It's far more pleasant than making the Century 21/Filene's rounds in Manhattan. Then take your new suits to a decent NYC tailor (Wilfreds, Dynasty...).

You can also try the Brooks Outlet at the Jersey Gardens Mall...it is far closer to Manhattan and the bus (Jersey Transit #111 from Port Authority) is far cheaper. Plus, no sales tax on clothing in New Jersey. Woodbury is a far better mall, but this will be an easier experience.

http://www.jerseygardens.com/go/gmap.cfm

By the way, you have a finance job and you only need ONE suit?

Moving to NYC can be daunting. If there are any other questions the New Yorkers can help you with (sartorial or practical), let us know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads