Alden's lasts may seem a little confusing to first-time buyers. Our posters in the Alden thread for 2016 (archived pre-2016 Alden thread here) have a wealth of experience and knowledge about Alden sizes. We were able to compile this guide thanks to the contribution of many users who have shared their experience inside the Alden thread.
If you have the chance to visit a store that sells Alden, we highly recommend that you try on the shoes in order to find the correct size for the last you're interested in. In case this is not possible for you, we hope this guide will help you shop online.
Remember that everyone's feet are different, and sizing will vary depending on personal preference (some prefer a snug fit, while others prefer a roomy fit) and choice of sock thickness. The type of leather can also affect the fit (shell cordovan tends to fit slightly larger than calfskin, suede, or chromexcel). Additionally, the pattern of the shoe may affect the fit.
Aberdeen last - slightly longer than standard U.S. size
Barrie last - about 1/2 size larger than standard U.S. size
Copley last - slightly longer than standard U.S. size
Grant last - about 1/4 size larger than standard U.S. size
Hampton last - fits approximately like a standard US size
Leydon last - fits approximately like a standard US size
Modified last - at least 1/2 size larger than standard U.S. size
Plaza last - slightly longer than standard U.S. size
Tremont last - about 1/4 size larger than standard U.S. size
Trubalance last - at least 1/2 size larger than standard U.S. size
Van last - 1/4 to 1/2 size larger than standard U.S. size
379X last - about 1/2 size larger than standard U.S. size
A visual comparison of most of Alden's lasts:
Orthopedic, Brooks Brothers, and "Obscure" Lasts
Alden also offers orthopedic lasts (Truflare, Trusquare, CDI) that are available through retailers specializing in orthopedic/orthotic/podiatric shoes. To locate the retailer nearest you, check Alden's website). Sizing on these lasts is unique and should be handled by a qualified professional. Alden also offers certain lasts that are used only by Brooks Brothers, such as the M-75 last (very similar to the Plaza last) and the Snap last (very similar to the Barrie last, but fits true-to-size). Other obscure Alden lasts include the Tom last, which is rarely used for certain loafer models.
Alden's lasts are all "combination" lasts, where the heel is two widths narrower than the rest of the shoe. Alden denotes the width of the shoe as a fraction: the top of the fraction represents the width of the heel, while the bottom represents the width of the rest of the shoe. The bottom of the fraction is considered the width of the shoe and is the width upon which you should base your sizing.
AA - A: Very narrow
EEE: Extra wide
This guide was created using the users' feedbacks posted in our Official Alden Thread. Still unsure about your size? Want to contribute your knowledge to the community? Try here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread-share-enthusiasm-reviews-sizing-advice-and-photos/
New to Styleforum and want to get more informative articles, style tips, fashion news, and exclusive deals? Sign up for the newsletter.
For a daily dose of Style (forum), follow us on Instagram.
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:20 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:26 pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:21 pm in Classic Menswear
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** Last post on Today at 2:17 pm in Classic Menswear
- Quality Of Grenson Shoes Last post on 2/19/17 at 9:28pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
Last edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Tremont LastLast edited: 3/31/16
Alphabetical Article List
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton Last
Currently, there are 1274 Active Users (155 Members and 1119 Guests)
- › Vass K-last Oxblood Dark Brown 45 EU (Size 11 US?) 2 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 5 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 10 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 12 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 19 minutes ago
- › Question about Yoox sizing 21 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 24 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 24 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 26 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 27 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...