• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Gucci Shoes

tommib

Reaction score
I've seen a pair of Gucci lace-ups with grosgrain trim, I love the style of the shoe but am wondering if the quality is any good at around £295? They certainly don't feel as well put together as any of the Prada shoes I own.

I like them in black but these are the shoes (in silver
tongue.gif
): http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...0550cat9250740

Any advice or recommendations to similar styles would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^It depends on whether you want style or quality. If you want style, Gucci is nice. Quality... not so much, unless on sale. Those 295 pound shoes are in reality perhaps 95 pound shoes with 200 pounds of branding.

If you have lots of shoes and have the cash to burn, it's probably not a problem. If you are planning to make this shoe a staple of your wardrobe, I'd look elsewhere.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^It depends on whether you want style or quality. If you want style, Gucci is nice. Quality... not so much, unless on sale. Those 295 pound shoes are in reality perhaps 95 pound shoes with 200 pounds of branding.

If you have lots of shoes and have the cash to burn, it's probably not a problem. If you are planning to make this shoe a staple of your wardrobe, I'd look elsewhere.

GBP 95 shoes with GPB 200 of branding would be overly exaggerating.

Quality of those fashion brand shoes, such as Gucci or Prada, might not match those at the original shoe makers but are nevertheless one notch above mass market brands such as Kenneth Cole. I find that Gucci shoes, excluding those sneakers/slippers, are about the same quality as Allen Edmonds if not higher.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
GBP 95 shoes with GPB 200 of branding would be overly exaggerating.

Quality of those fashion brand shoes, such as Gucci or Prada, might not match those at the original shoe makers but are nevertheless one notch above mass market brands such as Kenneth Cole. I find that Gucci shoes, excluding those sneakers/slippers, are about the same quality as Allen Edmonds if not higher.

While Gucci and Prada are clearly better than crap like Kenneth Cole, I don't think they are as good a quality as Allen Edmonds or Aldens.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
While Gucci and Prada are clearly better than crap like Kenneth Cole, I don't think they are as good a quality as Allen Edmonds or Aldens.

Quality for me is defined by comfort, design, durability and materials used. But since even shoes bought at Payless Shoes can last more than 10 years, durability is out of the picture.

Allen Edmonds for me failed the design rule and its materials used doesn't really surpass the high end brand names.

Quality/price ratio is just an marketing gimmick; its only used when products are lacking in absolute quality.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality for me is defined by comfort, design, durability and materials used. But since even shoes bought at Payless Shoes can last more than 10 years, durability is out of the picture.

Allen Edmonds for me failed the design rule and its materials used doesn't really surpass the high end brand names.

winners:

durability - AE (goodyear)
comfort - AE (many different widths)
design - AE (classics, albeit there are some horrors; but then again who doesn't)
fashion - gucci (trendy, italian, slim profile)
leathers - AE (aniline dye, supple calfhide)
price/value ratio - AE ($300 retail, can be easily had for 40-60% off)

AE - 5
gucci - 1

Quality/price ratio is just an marketing gimmick; its only used when products are lacking in absolute quality.

wtf?
confused.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
winners:

durability - AE (goodyear)

What's the point of going into technicality of the shoe construction? If the shoes can last you a decade or two, why care about if its Goodyear welted or not?

Gucci - 1
AE - 1

comfort - AE (many different widths)

As long as you don't buy a pair of ill-fitting shoes, the comfort level should depend on last and materials used. AE certainly doesn't have an edge on the latter.

Gucci - 1
AE - 1

design - AE (classics, albeit there are some horrors; but then again who doesn't)
fashion - gucci (trendy, italian, slim profile)

Gucci or other higher end brands stock classic 'design' shoes as well. And for all classic styles that AE has, Gucci or other name brands probably have the same.

Gucci - 1
AE - 0

leathers - AE (aniline dye, supple calfhide)

Again, without getting into the technicalities. Not sure what kind of leather Gucci shoes have but they feels as good as the AEs if not better IMO. A quick window shopping at Nordstrom should confirmed this.

Gucci - 1
AE - 1

AE - 5
gucci - 1

Gucci - 4
AE - 3

price/value ratio - AE ($300 retail, can be easily had for 40-60% off)

wtf?
confused.gif

Goodwill store will probably yield higher quality/price ratio than John Lobb bespoke. But which one would you rather have?

BTW, Gucci shoes can be found in discount stores.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^We could (and, indeed, have many times in the past) gone around and around about the merits or lack thereof of designer vs. non-designer shoes. You aren't really going to convince anybody of any difference. Overall, though, a pair of $300 AE's in a similar style will be nearly twice that in Gucci for reasons largely of branding.

Stylewise, I like Gucci better as well, which is why personally I have several pair of Gucci and have gotten rid of most of the AE shoes I've had. BUT, it is essential to advise prospective buyers, like the OP, that if they are on a budget or if they are needing "bang for buck" shoe values, buying designer shoes at full retail simply isn't going to be the place to get it. If he doesn't care about that, then he can buy the $600 Gucci and be happy with his purchase. Nevertheless, many who are relatively new to the world of shoes think that Gucci, Prada, Bruno Magli, etc. are the highest form of shoe-art by virtue of their high price and "Italian" heritage. This simply isn't the case and, as others have done on this thread, I think it's a good idea to alert them to the alternatives. A pair of $595 C&J's will absolutely blow away a pair of $595 Gucci or Prada overall.

Again, my wardrobe consists of basics from the major shoe companies (C&J, Church's, etc.), but for more "fun" shoes, almost entirely designer. The quality of some (Valentino, for example) is execrable at absurd prices ($695)... but they are fun shoes and so I don't mind. I'd take Gucci over AE most any day, but again, only when one of them is on sale.

tommib

Reaction score
Thanks chaps! Yeah I do realise that pair of 'designer' shoes are not gonna match up in quality to C&J, AE etc. But I doubt I'll ever wear a pair of those, well, maybe in 20 years time, but they just never look as stylish to me. Really I just wanted to make sure they weren't gonna fall apart, the shape is just very appealing to me.

Thanks again, Tom.

m_wave

Reaction score
I would rather spend money on a pair of shoes that looks good but perhaps only lasts a couple of years.. Sure construction is great, but if you are walking around with an ugly AE or Alden on your foot who cares..

I say buy them!

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the point of going into technicality of the shoe construction? If the shoes can last you a decade or two, why care about if its Goodyear welted or not?
you said you were concerned about quality were you not? how could you NOT go into technical details when considering quality? doesn't even make any sense. at least figure out the difference between MTO and bespoke before you speak on this matter?
As long as you don't buy a pair of ill-fitting shoes, the comfort level should depend on last and materials used.
thank you for this enlightening sentence. no offense, but not everyone has medium width feet, as most designer shoes offer. materials only go so far to support the last, and without a comfortable/appropriate one, material usage is irrelevant. you have now figured out what a last is by now, yes?
Gucci or other higher end brands stock classic 'design' shoes as well. And for all classic styles that AE has, Gucci or other name brands probably have the same.
yes, they stock these "updated" classics actually, however their price is also in the "updated" range, if you catch my drift.
Again, without getting into the technicalities. Not sure what kind of leather Gucci shoes have but they feels as good as the AEs if not better IMO. A quick window shopping at Nordstrom should confirmed this.
again, not to be rude, but if you don't know the technical differences you are hardly qualified to speak on this issue.
Goodwill store will probably yield higher quality/price ratio than John Lobb bespoke. But which one would you rather have?
not really. most of the shoes i see there/similar stores are not really wearable. i'm comparing new shoes, not used vs. new. not sure what your point is here.
BTW, Gucci shoes can be found in discount stores.
ok?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
I would rather spend money on a pair of shoes that looks good but perhaps only lasts a couple of years.. Sure construction is great, but if you are walking around with an ugly AE or Alden on your foot who cares..

I say buy them!

This part makes alot of sense. Especially when one considers that the Gucci's, while horribly jester-like but fashionable today, will be dated in a few short years!
tounge.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you said you were concerned about quality were you not? how could you NOT go into technical details when considering quality? doesn't even make any sense. at least figure out the difference between MTO and bespoke before you speak on this matter?

thank you for this enlightening sentence. no offense, but not everyone has medium width feet, as most designer shoes offer. materials only go so far to support the last, and without a comfortable/appropriate one, material usage is irrelevant. you have now figured out what a last is by now, yes?

yes, they stock these "updated" classics actually, however their price is also in the "updated" range, if you catch my drift.

again, not to be rude, but if you don't know the technical differences you are hardly qualified to speak on this issue.

not really. most of the shoes i see there/similar stores are not really wearable. i'm comparing new shoes, not used vs. new. not sure what your point is here.

ok?

Being Goodyear welted doesn't grant higher quality automatically and Blake welted doesn't speak inferior quality. It doesn't take a a shoe maker or fanatic to appreciate a good pair of quality shoes; being knowledgeable or knowing the lingo only magnifies the appreciation which sometimes goes too far.

AE simply doesn't impress me at all; conservative in style, indifference in quality compare to the other shoes on display in Nordstrom.

Thanks BTW for digging through my old posts for questions I have or clarification I need. Much appreciated.

And to OP, that style is classic plain toe oxford. Most shoe makers should carry that.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being Goodyear welted doesn't grant higher quality automatically and Blake welted doesn't speak inferior quality. It doesn't take a a shoe maker or fanatic to appreciate a good pair of quality shoes; being knowledgeable or knowing the lingo only magnifies the appreciation which sometimes goes too far. AE simply doesn't impress me at all; conservative in style, indifference in quality compare to the other shoes on display in Nordstrom. Thanks BTW for digging through my old posts for questions I have or clarification I need. Much appreciated. And to OP, that style is classic plain toe oxford. Most shoe makers should carry that.
i've worked at nordstrom just last year, for the men's suit section, which obviously works closely with the shoes department, in the store with largest inventory movement (#4). i'll grant you the gucci leather felt nice, but it was nothing compared to stylings from zegna or canali (campanile). no patina, flat colors, uninspiring, however it looked very fashionable and trendy for its time. and yes, AE does have very conservative styles, but that doesn't mean it has nothing to offer in terms of quality; its new seven line even has a bit more of that fashion forward stuff, inclusive of its traditional quality (however pricing is way too high if you ask me). being goodyear welted doesn't grant higher quality, sure, however it is a more durable type of construction (in theory!), and given that construction/durability is a criteria, AE scores very high in this department (their 360 welt aesthetic is another matter though). many (not all) gucci styles are also NOT welted, simply glued. the only italian RTW brand i would wear from nordy's is the tramezza line from ferragamo, which is carried on/off last i checked. and fyi, i didn't dig through your old info. i saw it while browsing threads yesterday. in the end, it's simply that AE offers me a lot of bang/quality for my buck, while gucci doesn't.

m_wave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
This part makes alot of sense. Especially when one considers that the Gucci's, while horribly jester-like but fashionable today, will be dated in a few short years!
tounge.gif

Exactly.. If you are buying to look "current" as opposed to "classic" then it's an easy decision...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads