• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Anent Cruiser, you've got to hand to the guy. By sheer obnoxiousness and dogged pertinacity (abetted by tolerant or actually sympathetic moderators), he has single-handedly done a great deal to change the tenor of a forum with 14,000 (or whatever) members...although not for the better, I fear.

He doesn't even need to actually post anymore. He could just type "Standard Cruiser Post" because we all know precisely what he's going to say anyway.

The man doesn't like men's clothes, why he spends so much time on a forum dedicated to the subject is anybody's guess.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
You know, once they find out about this thread over there we are going to be in trouble...

Maybe no one will tell them.
patch[1].gif

YoungFogey

Reaction score
I was a very active member of AAAC for about four years. I learnt a ton and even made a few friends through the site. I got to about a thousand posts and stopped because of some changes to my life, but the other day I poked my head in there again for the first time in over a year.

The place had definitely changed. What were omnious signs a year ago have indeed consumed the site. For instance, although I am more a Savile Row guy, I appreciated the Trad forum. I do believe that it has done more to "codify" the Ivy League style than any place else, and I think that the forum has raised the profile of traditional American clothing among stylists and advertisers (which then gets filtered to the public as a whole). However, the trad forum then became populated with people who were looking for the "trad lifestyle". Ironically, as much as they eschwed Ralph Lauren, they had bought into his advertising.

Another problem: people who had no experience of gentlemen's clubs thought it was a "club of gentlemen". It thereby became a parody of such a thing. Like the depiction of the Philadelphia Club in Trading Places.

Heavy-handed (and not entirely even-handed) moderation also drove a good portion of the more free-thinking away, IMHO.

I miss the old AAAC. It had some of the best educated people on any of the "fora". It had a great trans-Atlantic membership that not only liked traditional clothing, but was also interested in the culture that surrounded it and how that culture related to the modern world. The threads on formal wear (though they could get overly proscriptive) were fantastic. For instance: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=65697

I think I may revive my old AAAC moniker here (even though half of my posts there were wiped out at some point last year). It's still unclaimed and a few folk from the old days who may remember now seem happily ensconced here.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
I was a very active member of AAAC for about four years. I learnt a ton and even made a few friends through the site. I got to about a thousand posts and stopped because of some changes to my life, but the other day I poked my head in there again for the first time in over a year.

The place had definitely changed. What were omnious signs a year ago have indeed consumed the site. For instance, although I am more a Savile Row guy, I appreciated the Trad forum. I do believe that it has done more to "codify" the Ivy League style than any place else, and I think that the forum has raised the profile of traditional American clothing among stylists and advertisers (which then gets filtered to the public as a whole). However, the trad forum then became populated with people who were looking for the "trad lifestyle". Ironically, as much as they eschwed Ralph Lauren, they had bought into his advertising.

Another problem: people who had no experience of gentlemen's clubs thought it was a "club of gentlemen". It thereby became a parody of such a thing. Like the depiction of the Philadelphia Club in Trading Places.

Heavy-handed (and not entirely even-handed) moderation also drove a good portion of the more free-thinking away, IMHO.

I miss the old AAAC. It had some of the best educated people on any of the "fora". It had a great trans-Atlantic membership that not only liked traditional clothing, but was also interested in the culture that surrounded it and how that culture related to the modern world. The threads on formal wear (though they could get overly proscriptive) were fantastic. For instance: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=65697

I think I may revive my old AAAC moniker here (even though half of my posts there were wiped out at some point last year). It's still unclaimed and a few folk from the old days who may remember now seem happily ensconced here.

I think the Trad forum on Ask Andy occupies a useful niche and I hope it continues to thrive. Its interest level to me waxes and wanes, but I like the fact that it exists and is a great lace whenever I am interested in one of the things that fit in the trad canon. I suppose the main forum also occupies a useful spot though its place is different than it had been. There is really no reason why SF and AAAC have to have the same focus and with the nearly complete migration of the topics discussion I am interested in over to here, I am perfectly happy to have one less place to check.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey

I think there was some sort of data loss that wiped out a lot of people's posts.

When you say "best educated", do you mean about clothes or generally? I have heard that FNB has a "more advanced" forum.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I think there was some sort of data loss that wiped out a lot of people's posts.

When you say "best educated", do you mean about clothes or generally? I have heard that FNB has a "more advanced" forum.

The participants at AAAC seemed better educated generally and more knowledgeable about English and American clothing and the culture behind it. The posters at SF in those days were MUCH better informed about high end Italian and Continental clothing -- which makes sense as the demographic here seems rather younger and more fashionable. SF has always blown AAAC away on shoes.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed this happened at AAAC, but at the same time I'm not as interested in the Fashion Forum. The topics just don't seem as interesting as they used to.

I still check the trad forum a few times a day and post as well. It really seems a bit more interested in the clothes and actively seeking out brands and makers than the Fashion Forum.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Styleforum also has AAAC blown away on discussions on narwhal tusks and other assorted exotica.

AAAC has become the forum equivalent of a Jos A.Banks clearance

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
AAAC has become the forum equivalent of a Jos A.Banks clearance

In that case, can we convince Kasper and all his sock puppets to go over there? Sound like it would be perfect for him.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

Well we dont have most of the bespoke brotherhood like some forums but we try to keep the conversation stimulating.
tounge.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jeff Naylor
...The man doesn't like men's clothes, why he spends so much time on a forum dedicated to the subject is anybody's guess.
Yes, yes, and yes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads