• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This was my impression a couple of years ago, but I think AAAC has tilted strongly toward Jos. A. Bank-type, low-to-mid level, correct-for-business clothes. In contrast, you get far more variety on SF, with a distinctly greater emphasis on high-end, bespoke things than what you'll find at AAAC.
There have been a lot of "Why would you pay so much for that?" responses lately, and not over brands that would be considered particularly high end here. Often followed by an argument over whether what we wear really matters. Very different than it used to be.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that SF has a slightly more diverse and potentially younger member list than AAAC. There are some "cultural" differences, too. AAAC tends to be a wee bit more reserved and polite, while (perhaps because of the diversity here at SF), you occasionally get rather heated debates.

...But no, I don' think any one would have problems with cross-postings. It might actually be more useful to you in the long-run to get a range of viewpoints. Might also make it harder to make decisions about anything.
wink.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cross posting is perfectly fine. If you think about it, you would find it astounding that someone would get angry with you because you asked the same question somewhere else.

As to the utility, there was a time when if I wanted a useful answer, I would post in both places. The personality of the forums come and go, but at this point, there are maybe three or four people whose interests overlap with mine that I wouldn't likely reach by posting only here. I would not be surprised if the self-reinforcing nature of discussion groups resulted in AAAC being even more like it has become of late and therefore less interesting to me.

Posting on the London Lounge is a different matter as there is a smaller but geographically more diverse and focussed readership there as compared to here.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Good God, man, don't keep us hanging! What was the outcome?
Is polo trad? No. But horses are. Unless their owners are rich. Then they aren't.

Originally Posted by academe
you occasionally get rather heated debates.
which is part of the charm. The mods keep it within reason, from what I've seen.

But isn't the spectrum something like this:
LL - AAAC - SF/Mens Clothing - SF/Streetwear - stylezeitgeist - superfuture
I'm somewhere center-left in that.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just say that AAAC has evolved into a very different forum from the one I joined four years ago. If your idea of an excellent purveyor of men's dress apparel is J.C. Penney and you're partial to T-shirts, jeans, Mickey Mouse watches and the like, it is a far more hospitable environment than it used to be.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
you're partial to T-shirts, jeans, Mickey Mouse watches and the like.

shop_mickey.jpg

What's wrong with a Mickey Mouse watch by Gerald Genta?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
There have been a lot of "Why would you pay so much for that?" responses lately, and not over brands that would be considered particularly high end here. Often followed by an argument over whether what we wear really matters. Very different than it used to be.

I've noticed that every time I click on my link to AAAC, I am redirected to this weird place. I believe it's called Ask Cruiser About Clothes.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
There is (IMO) a greater love for shoes on Styleforum.. And less politics...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I've noticed that every time I click on my link to AAAC, I am redirected to this weird place. I believe it's called Ask Cruiser About Clothes.
God damn you - I was going to make the same joke!
laugh.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
The mods keep it within reason, from what I've seen.

But isn't the spectrum something like this:
LL - AAAC - SF/Mens Clothing - SF/Streetwear - stylezeitgeist - superfuture
I'm somewhere center-left in that.

You mean from extremely polite/moderated to free for all? Not sure I agree.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That wasn't what I had in mind, though that seems to work for the first 3 and I'd be interested in how it should be laid out for the rest.

That spectrum is closer to the probability at any given moment one is wearing dinner jacket, or a suit, or a sport coat.

Apparently it no longer correlates with the probability of wearing high end clothing. My history on the fora is to short to have first hand knowledge, so I'm reading this thread with interest.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I'll just say that AAAC has evolved into a very different forum from the one I joined four years ago. If your idea of an excellent purveyor of men's dress apparel is J.C. Penney and you're partial to T-shirts, jeans, Mickey Mouse watches and the like, it is a far more hospitable environment than it used to be.
I have been a member there for one year this month and I have noticed a significant change in the direction you mention in just that time.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Very astute, sir! You are wise in your generation!

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
God damn you - I was going to make the same joke!
laugh.gif

Too bad it is not a joke...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
I have been a member there for one year this month and I have noticed a significant change in the direction you mention in just that time.

Things finally went past the tipping point. The gross attachment to correctness was bound to rid the forum of all interesting posters sooner or later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads