• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tapas in NYC!

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some rec's for a Tapas bar which has a pretty good sized menu. More veggie/ sea food stuff than red meat.

Thanks!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sala 19 on 19th closer to 6th than 5th. Good wine selection, busy from Thursday night through the weekend.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ate at Boqueria also on 19th between 5th and 6th a few nights ago. Thought it was pretty good though the portions were small even by tapas standards. Nothing beats tapeando in Madrid though.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First choice for me is Tia Pol (but it's tiny and hard to get a table)
2 is Casa Mono (but expensive)
3 is Boqueria
4 is Bar Jamon

I would put Sala (either location) way behind these four, but it's quite easy to get a table and is inexpensive.

Kana was great but I believe it closed

Pipa is not bad at all but a bit meat market (like Sala)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hop on the PATH train over to Newark and go to Mompou tapas bar.

juuceman

Reaction score
Tia Pol; Boqueria, Casa Mono and Baj Jamon are the usual contenders. They're also all but impossible to get into on the weekend, Casa Mono takes reservations and is more of a sit down 'normal' restaurant than the others. Boqueria might, or might only for larger groups. Tia Pol reserves for six or more.

Less obvious responses include El Cid (one of the original tapas spots), Oliva, on Houston, La Paella (the old 9th street standby, there since the '70's) and one can always fall back on the garlic heavy old school Spanish haunts - Sevilla, etc. There's also the place in the spanish cultural center..

Pipa can be a good date spot - most women in their mid-late 20's, through the mid-late 30's are familiar with it, comfortable there, and feel good about themselves in the light. The food is decent, but doesn't really compete with any of the places above.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never recommend Oliva. Food sucks

I'd much rather go to an obvious Tia Pol or Boqueria and have good food, than a less obvious place that will serve me mediocre food (at best)

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MADATOR in the West Village. Best tapas in the city, go during happy hour 5-8. Great spanish food and Sangria (sp?)!

juuceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I would never recommend Oliva. Food sucks

I'd much rather go to an obvious Tia Pol or Boqueria and have good food, than a less obvious place that will serve me mediocre food (at best)

either different tastes, or possibly an off night if it was a one off, but I enjoy the food there, as well as the scene and the sangria is pretty good.. much better than the kool-aid Pipa is passing off as sangria..

samblau

Reaction score
La Mancha on Atlantic Ave between Cobble Hill and BK Heights...prices went up since they opened but goood food!

Get a small dish or two and share a paella. Fish dishes good as well esp stuffed trout or red snapper when they have it.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juuceman
either different tastes, or possibly an off night if it was a one off, but I enjoy the food there, as well as the scene and the sangria is pretty good.. much better than the kool-aid Pipa is passing off as sangria..

I unfortunately have been stuck with Oliva three or 4 times in the last few years (mostly because it's conveniently close to the Landmark Sunshine) and I've always found the food less than mediocre. Fine for some olives and a glass of sangria, but I wouldn't recommend for dinner. Tia Pol, Boqueria and Mono actually care about the food they put out. I agree that Pipa is mediocre too but I find it a little better than Oliva.

As you said... different tastes I guess

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to try Tia Pol tonight. Party of four though...will see how long it takes to get in. Called over and the lady said it should be 20 min to an hour at tops today....

Thanks for the suggestions

juuceman

Reaction score
I've been told that before, only to then be told after waiting an hour that it's going to be another 45 minutes because she miscalculated. It's probably going to be a long wait tonight everywhere - it was a gorgeous day, everyone's going to be out drinking and easting..

I'm interested in hearing how long the wait is though..

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep - no way in hell you'll get 4 people seated there in 20mn. I've left Tia Pol because of long waits many more times than I actually had a meal there. Luckily it's a neighborhood place for me and there are always good alternatives...

Expect a LONG wait in a cramped bar area

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads