• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Writing Instruments

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The urushi Nakayas are nice but I'm not swayed by the cartridge/converter and its inconvenient carrying method. If you add that clip, it ruins the lines; but then how will you use it on a daily basis?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the clip works better with the Piccolo model, which I have, than the Cigar. What I love most about the Nakaya is its understatement, and to me the clip doesn't detract much from that.

The cartridge/converter is a drag, and the custom fitting over the internet hasn't yielded much tangible benefit. But it functions well and the lacquer is very nice.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After years of having a nice gold pen that was a gift from my dad, I now enjoy the simple utility of Uniball or Gel pens. The ink flow is terrific. To me, they are to pens what Levis are to pants. A great performing, inexpensive, all around classic.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee lin
nakayas are bespoke pens or only the urushi models? i write with an old french fountain pen i could not make out the name.
i don't write as well with modern mont blancs though so perhaps i should go somewhere and have the french pen looked at so they can tell me what to get.

also which brand makes a really beautiful maki-e? i've seen some sailor, nakaya, and namikis. any others brands i should be looking at?

I've also seen nice maki-e pens from Dani-Trio.

Nakaya is more like a MTM program, I think.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to Parker pens.

If I were to bother with a "luxe" pen, it would probobly be S.T. Dupont, mainly due to my affinity for their lighters.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Mazzuoli pen on ebay, let's see how it turns out.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The urushi Nakayas are nice but I'm not swayed by the cartridge/converter and its inconvenient carrying method. If you add that clip, it ruins the lines; but then how will you use it on a daily basis?

The cartridge/convertor filler is a big turn-off for me too. I would want them to make me an eyedropper filler.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the Pilot G-2 pen with the Extra Fine Ink Gel and the Pilot G-2 mechanical pencil with the .05 graphite. And when the ink and graphite run out, I buy refills. My pens last forever or until I chew the end enough it won't eject the pen anymore...

plain.gif

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by selbsttatig
I'm currently using a Nakimi/Pilot pen that was really cheap. I'd like to upgrade to something else in the future though.

Try the new retractable ones.
worship.gif

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Try the new retractable ones.
worship.gif

You mean the Vanishing Point retractable fountain pen? That's not a new design; it's been around since the '60s. They really are brilliant pens. I have a Vanishing Point and an Emperor -- the bottom and top of Namiki's fountain pen line -- and the Vanishing Point's nib writes every bit as well.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My nice pen is a Waterman - it's the one that I put in my pocket and use when I want to impress people. It's black and gold and most people assume it's really expensive.

Otherwise, I just use whatever comes to hand - mostly disposable ballpoints or freebies I've received.

Also - being left handed and writing upside down, I can't use any fountain pens or anything with a nib.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
You mean the Vanishing Point retractable fountain pen? That's not a new design; it's been around since the '60s. They really are brilliant pens. I have a Vanishing Point and an Emperor -- the bottom and top of Namiki's fountain pen line -- and the Vanishing Point's nib writes every bit as well.

I was referring to the 10th anniversary design (Decimo) that just came out, sorry.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
My nice pen is a Waterman - it's the one that I put in my pocket and use when I want to impress people. It's black and gold and most people assume it's really expensive.

Otherwise, I just use whatever comes to hand - mostly disposable ballpoints or freebies I've received.

Also - being left handed and writing upside down, I can't use any fountain pens or anything with a nib.

You can have a nib custom ground for a left-hand.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I use a Staedtler lead holder and a collection of Rapidographs.
Obviously a designer. I spent more on Rapidographs than I did on clothing for a number of years. Still have a set and a Staedtler lead holder, despite never pursuing design. I currently use a Tombow Zoom Egg rollerball (brushed aluminum and chrome) as my daily pen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads