• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ceviche?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe--I don't think I'm going to maek it again unless I have a number of people over, because even with 1/2 pound+ scallops, it was a little much.

Originally Posted by whodini
The crucial garnish that some people tend to forget is to serve the ceviche with an ice cold beer on the side. No beer=rookie mistake.

Although I'm sure I'm f-ing up my Latin American cuisine/beer mix, me and the lady ate it with 24-oz cans of Modelo. Is that like proudly serving fried chicken with Molson?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've eaten ceviche in the US and here in Europe.

It is good, but far from a real authentic one you'd eat in Peru.

The reason is simple. The ingredients are not the same.

Ceviche is made in Peru using local green limes that have an stronger juice. Red onions that are like a mix of the sweeter red onion you get here and the "echalote" that is an stronger onion. That red onions have an special taste.

But what is most inportant is the chile. It is an special redish/orange chile called "limo", it is not strong like the jalapeño, it is sweeter and has another very particular taste. And the stronger "rocoto" that is used to spice it even more that is a very strong kind of red pepper.

Usually you eat ceviche in Peru with orange sweet potatos, lettuce and corn. The orange sweet potatos and the corn in peru are specially tasty and sweeter than the ones you can get here.

Hopefully my next trip to Southamerica will be in december I'll have real ceviche and also other seafood dishes like "parihuela" or "jalea" that are glorious.

Peru as you maybe know has one of the largest and richest fishing coasts.

Very different from the blue water/ white sand you see in the Caribean that are so beatiful, but so empty ( that's why the water is clear and the sand almost white ) .

In the coast of Peru the water is dark green and the water looks opaque and thick as a soup and the sand darker with miriad of colorful particules.

That makes a not that beautiful sea sight, but it is indeed very rich in minerals and vegetal and animal plancton, giving as a result tastier fish.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Thanks for the recipe--I don't think I'm going to maek it again unless I have a number of people over, because even with 1/2 pound+ scallops, it was a little much.

Although I'm sure I'm f-ing up my Latin American cuisine/beer mix, me and the lady ate it with 24-oz cans of Modelo. Is that like proudly serving fried chicken with Molson?

Well, you did say 24oz cans so, I guess you're off the hook.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PETE- DIDN'T YOU MEAN TO SAY 40oz.

hi-val

Reaction score
Try tossing in some avocado chunks when you make it. They add a creaminess that balances with the lime and makes it just really good in general.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
How do you pronounce Ceviche?

Se-vitch
Ka-vitch
Se-veetch
Ka-veetch
Se-veeshe
Ka-veeshe

Any of those?

hi-val

Reaction score
It's a Spanish word. Depending on where you are, it'll sound mostly like

Suh-BEE-chay

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
It's a Spanish word. Depending on where you are, it'll sound mostly like

Suh-BEE-chay

i can't begin to tell you how annoying that post is. the english pronunciation is se (as in "sell me your car" vee (as in "i just bought a vee-dub.") che (as in "let's play checkers."

the spanish pronunciation varies by country. in spain and mexico the 'v' is pronounced like a 'b'. in much of south america, they pronunce the 'v' as it is pronounced in english.

hi-val

Reaction score
Sorry that regional pronunciations annoy you to no end. Day-to-day living must be pretty hard for you.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry that regional pronunciations annoy you to no end. Day-to-day living must be pretty hard for you.

tell me in what region they pronounce it like you wrote. no one says "suh". no one pronounces che as "chey" except gringos who don't know better.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Not to nitpick but I'd love to know how "ce" in spanish would ever be pronounced as "suh." That's just not a dialect I'm familiar with.

Matador's pronunciation is exactly how it's said here in CR and the only way I've ever heard it pronounced.

hi-val

Reaction score
Because in my head, "suh" is the sound that I wrote that's probably the same as "seh" or "se" or "say" or however you want to. If you want to bust out the international phonetic alphabet to remove all doubts, go ahead.

But yay pointless internet fight.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because in my head, "suh" is the sound that I wrote that's probably the same as "seh" or "se" or "say" or however you want to. If you want to bust out the international phonetic alphabet to remove all doubts, go ahead.

But yay pointless internet fight.

it's not a fight, and kwilkinson did not ask a pointless question. he wants to know how to pronounce a word, and if you don't see there is world of difference between seh, suh, and say, you should not be answering pronunciation questions on the internets. peace out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads