• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern/European Kitchen Cabinets

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
We have a big kitchen to build with 60 running feet of cabinetry.

Our quote after haggling with Pedini is 35k.

Our estimate for Ikea or Kraftmaid is under 15k.

Our estimate with Medallion Cabinetry is 20k.

We love the Pedini's style and construction but can't decide whether it is worth it. Are cabinets an investment in your home or just a luxury? Do they add to resale value? Our modern taste may not match with the average buyer.

Thoughts?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc
We have a big kitchen to build with 60 running feet of cabinetry.

Our quote after haggling with Pedini is 35k.

Our estimate for Ikea or Kraftmaid is under 15k.

Our estimate with Medallion Cabinetry is 20k.

We love the Pedini's style and construction but can't decide whether it is worth it. Are cabinets an investment in your home or just a luxury? Do they add to resale value? Our modern taste may not match with the average buyer.

Thoughts?

Ikea and Kraftmaid are sufficient if matched with things that make the space look "modern." Frankly, I think 60 ft of cabinets is overkill but maybe you have a lot of kids or something.

When I look at homes for sale, I look at the cabinetry and make an immediate judgement about the house's need for renovation.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc

Thoughts?

I'm not saying they don't exist, but I have yet to see a property that struck me as high quality across the board (construction and all finishes, not just cabinetry) that had Ikea installed. I've been house hunting for about a month now, and everything with Poggenpohl has been top notch in terms of fit and finish in all aspects.

I guess that could be due to a home owner is unlikely to fork over large sums of money on cabinetry, and then scrimp on other things.

These are just my observations in a few neighborhoods of Chicago (Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lakeview, and Lincoln Park), so YMMV.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitano
I had a new kitchen installed almost a year ago. Scavolini cabs, Cesarstone countertops, Miele appliances.

Glossy white cabs, grey countertops. Sick. Very modern.

We did the same about ten years ago, but used Siematic. It has held up extremely well, and initially I worried about the high gloss. Ikea ones I have seen don't seem to last as well, but YMMV.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We did the same about ten years ago, but used Siematic. It has held up extremely well, and initially I worried about the high gloss. Ikea ones I have seen don't seem to last as well, but YMMV.

How much do you use the kitchen, Matt? What is the cabinetry? wood, plywood/veneer, stainless?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
How much do you use the kitchen, Matt? What is the cabinetry? wood, plywood/veneer, stainless?

We cook at home 4 or 5 nights a week. Sometimes less, but that is a good average.

The cabinets are MDF with high gloss polyester lacquer. The reason we decided on Siematic over a cabinetmaker was that the high quality lacquer was illegal to do in the USA for health reasons.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We cook at home 4 or 5 nights a week. Sometimes less, but that is a good average.

The cabinets are MDF with high gloss polyester lacquer. The reason we decided on Siematic over a cabinetmaker was that the high quality lacquer was illegal to do in the USA for health reasons.

4-5 nights/week is what i would consider high use. And if they still look good, that is telling. Thanks for the info.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a good resource anyone could recommend to do research on all of these higher end brands? Doesn't have to be limited to kitchens or cabinetry.

Thanks..

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Ikea and Kraftmaid are sufficient if matched with things that make the space look "modern." Frankly, I think 60 ft of cabinets is overkill but maybe you have a lot of kids or something.

When I look at homes for sale, I look at the cabinetry and make an immediate judgement about the house's need for renovation.

The 60 ft includes a very large island as well as a matching wet bar. Also, it is a big kitchen.

Originally Posted by briancl
Is there a good resource anyone could recommend to do research on all of these higher end brands? Doesn't have to be limited to kitchens or cabinetry.

Thanks..

The two websites that seem to contain helpful information are:

http://livemodern.com/forums/materialsmethods

and

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/

I am glad to hear people appreciate the investment. My wife has her heart set on Pedini and many have told me that I am crazy to spend so much on boxes. I feel that the cabinets are a real part of the home's interior decor.

I have examined Poliform, Poggenpohl and Pedini extensively and they all seem to be identical in quality. Some have better name recognition and correspondingly higher prices. The style varies a bit but not consderably.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, CDoc!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
Worth their (lot of) money: Boffi and Varenna

Wow, some of those are just amazing. I'm not much of a fan of the ultra modern sleek lines, but the all stainless, commercial kitchen-looking stuff is beautiful.

b

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Without any doubt, the best of the best is Balthaup. Their engineering is miles better than anybody else. Style-wise, I prefer Boffi, but the Balthaup stuff just works better.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
From my limited knowledge, the price for these brands would be closer to 75k for a kitchen my size. That being said, they do look terrific.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads