• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fitting chinos / pants

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be traveling to NY soon to get a pair, in which case I can pick you up something--although that won't be for another month or so when school is out. I've heard rumors that you can order via phone, but whenever I call I get an answering service. Has anyone here actually ordered Uniqlo products by phone? If so, how much was shipping?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Definite +1 on that phone order question. Oh and to ^^^ thanks for that link to the twill 511. Perfect.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I might be traveling to NY soon to get a pair, in which case I can pick you up something--although that won't be for another month or so when school is out. I've heard rumors that you can order via phone, but whenever I call I get an answering service. Has anyone here actually ordered Uniqlo products by phone? If so, how much was shipping?
shipping was real cheap id ont remember

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Will they ship outside of NY but still CONUS?

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good luck finding them at uniqlo. As far as i know, they are all taken up a few days after they are put on display in the store. although I don't have the ones posted above, I have another vintage fit chino which is actually a really nice slim fit. I will see if I can get a picture up at some point.

surrender

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
As for GAP, I just returned a pair I bought online as they weren't slim enough. If anyone knows of a GAP chino that is slimmer cut than their "surplus khaki," I'd be interested as I now have $44 in GAP credit.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...889&pid=538219

I have these in black and the fit is outstanding. Hell, even the work straight fit khakis are a great fit, as long as you keep in mind that they shrink in the wash.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Red bandanna in your left pocket ... ever see Cruising?

lefty

you interested?
laugh.gif

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Looking at their website, I assume you mean the classic fit? It looks like the slimmest one there.

Edit: Steven Alan website has layman cords in my size for 50 bucks. Solid enough deal, then I go to international checkout and shipping to Canada is 70 DOLLARS. Excuse me?

yes, i meant to say the classic fit ones. they're slim so they don't create the bootcut effect, but relaxed enough to comfortably stuff your hands in both pockets at the same time.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^Awesome. Definitely not the fit I'm after, but it certainly looks good, better with a bit of hemming, though not too much or he'd ruin it.
yes, i meant to say the classic fit ones. they're slim so they don't create the bootcut effect, but relaxed enough to comfortably stuff your hands in both pockets at the same time.
Definitely no bootcut effect wanted. I should've been clearer when I started... I'm 6'2 210 with broad shoulders and look like I should've been the starting QB for my high school football team. That's the frame we're dealing with here. Basically I want a pant that if I took a slim dress shirt would give me a straight, clean line all the way down and is slim enough to elongate me, to offset how broad my frame is. Slimming me is not easy. So while I like the slightly relaxed look for some contexts, I really want something that will complement what I'm trying to do with slimmer profile shirts. I think the RL Polo are the closest so far, or the Uniqlo.
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Oh and to ^^^ thanks for that link to the twill 511. Perfect.
Thanks indeed. I have made a note of them. I don't think they solve this dilemma (somewhat more casual than what I need), but they look very versatile and the fit appears to be something I could definitely use.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^remember that RL models are notorious for wearing "smaller" sizes in their ads, hence why everything looks so perfect on the models. they also pin jackets and stuff of that nature. however you're a big guy, something *too* slim might make you look topheavy.

about the jcrews - yea, exactly, they have no bootcut effect...and they're cheap. i think they're the right amount of "slim" to fit a big person without making you look like you're wearing your sister's pants. anyway, you should go try some on at the mall for BR, gap, jcrew, etc. if possible.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
however you're a big guy, something *too* slim might make you look topheavy.
Indeed, I don't want to look like I'm fountaining out of the pant. Like I say, a straight line is key. I just tried on a newly tailored shirt which is slim, but not super slim, with my ES kyrres (which were sized up and then had the waist taken in so they're not skin tight) and the line looks pretty good.

I definitely need to make a window shopping trip on this, I haven't lately. I'll probably have to wait until post-exams, though.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
about the jcrews - yea, exactly, they have no bootcut effect...and they're cheap. i think they're the right amount of "slim" to fit a big person without making you look like you're wearing your sister's pants. anyway, you should go try some on at the mall for BR, gap, jcrew, etc. if possible.

Second (or is that fourth or fifth by this time?) the J Crew Classic Fit recommendation. IME they actually taper a bit instead of being straight from the knee down like the Uniqlo Vintage Chinos. Size down 1 if you can though, for they might stretch a fair amount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics