• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unhygienic eBay purchase?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
I am generally not the type who shops online but due to being unemployed I began to look on eBay for a bargain on a pair of taupe pants in a light weight wool. After finding a nice pair that were new and would fit without alteration given their measurements I bid and won the pants. The problem is that when I received the package last week under the clear packing tape which held on the address label was stuck a hair. I don't want to be impolite in describing it but I will just say that it looked like it wasn't from a person's head. After seeing this I put the package out in the garage and have not opened it. I wrote the seller explaining the situation but not requesting a refund; I just hoped to get some sort of piece of mind as to the condition of the trousers before I opened the package as they were described as new and I have yet to hear back from him. I am curious how other members would handle this predicament.

Wear gloves and put them in your washer. And then, take them out of the washer and give it to the dry cleaners.

This way, you don't have to be wearing gloves when you give it to the dry cleaners. And you get it cleaned twice, including professionally cleaned.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh.
crackup[1].gif

Originally Posted by iammatt
Since you are currently short of money, I can offer you a way to kill two birds with one stone. You should remove the offending hair, wear the pants and use said hair as dental floss.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color is it? Could be from a female.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
What color is it? Could be from a female.
Or a monkey.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After undergrad, I moved into an apartment in Oakland. Nice place in a good part of town. Now you would have thought property management cleaned the damn carpets before we moved in. Even months after we moved in, things that touched the floor would act as a magnet and pick up random hairs off the floor which were clearly pubic hair. I throw a shirt that hits the floor, I pick it up, pubes on it. Throw a hat on my coat rack and it hits the floor - a few pubes. Socks --> pubes. Pillow --> pubes. This was mostly in my room, and the hair certainly was not mine. Back then - I don't know why - but after getting over the initial shock, I simply picked the hairs off and moved on with life.

We didn't have a vaccum cleaner for a long time, and in hindsight, that was probably one of the first things we should have bought.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
In other words, if you don't feel comfortable opening the package, teddieriley might do it for you
laugh.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Very disturbing. Sounds like a breeding ground for STDs.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
After undergrad, I moved into an apartment in Oakland. Nice place in a good part of town. Now you would have thought property management cleaned the damn carpets before we moved in. Even months after we moved in, things that touched the floor would act as a magnet and pick up random hairs off the floor which were clearly pubic hair. I throw a shirt that hits the floor, I pick it up, pubes on it. Throw a hat on my coat rack and it hits the floor - a few pubes. Socks --> pubes. Pillow --> pubes. This was mostly in my room, and they certainly were not mine. Back then - I don't know why - but after getting over the initial shock, I simply picked the and moved on with life.

We didn't have a vaccum cleaner for a long time, and in hindsight, that was probably one of the first things we should have bought.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
After undergrad, I moved into an apartment in Oakland. Nice place in a good part of town. Now you would have thought property management cleaned the damn carpets before we moved in. Even months after we moved in, things that touched the floor would act as a magnet and pick up random hairs off the floor which were clearly pubic hair. I throw a shirt that hits the floor, I pick it up, pubes on it. Throw a hat on my coat rack and it hits the floor - a few pubes. Socks --> pubes. Pillow --> pubes. This was mostly in my room, and the hair certainly was not mine. Back then - I don't know why - but after getting over the initial shock, I simply picked the hairs off and moved on with life.

Man, that's nasty. I thought I had it bad, when I moved into an apartment with couple of my boys during senior year of college. The place must have packed 20 Indian immgrant students before. The carpet got dried up curry rice stuck to it all over, and the stench (combination of Indian spice and garbage), took us 2 weeks to get it out. Of couse, we had rats in the kitchen also.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Did it come international? Perhaps it was opened by customs and then closed again and has nothing to do with the seller?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
I am generally not the type who shops online but due to being unemployed I began to look on eBay for a bargain on a pair of taupe pants in a light weight wool. After finding a nice pair that were new and would fit without alteration given their measurements I bid and won the pants. The problem is that when I received the package last week under the clear packing tape which held on the address label was stuck a hair. I don't want to be impolite in describing it but I will just say that it looked like it wasn't from a person's head. After seeing this I put the package out in the garage and have not opened it. I wrote the seller explaining the situation but not requesting a refund; I just hoped to get some sort of piece of mind as to the condition of the trousers before I opened the package as they were described as new and I have yet to hear back from him. I am curious how other members would handle this predicament.

I think you are nuts. What do you think they did rip out a pubic hair and put it in the tape ? It is most likely forearm hair and I have had packages with a hair on the tape and it seems quite silly that you can't open the package with a pair of gloves if you are that lame.

My guess is that you are just trying to jip the seller and for us to give you moral support in what is just a waste of time asking us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads