• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to hang pants?

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
may seem silly, but I've noticed pants hung different ways. I've seen it done 3 different ways. What's best for the pants?

2q3b4ed.jpg

11903v6.jpg

149pd21.jpg

jtsouth

Reaction score
I don't like hanging pants by the cuffs as I've found it sometimes alters the integrity of the cuffs. I have also had unwanted creases develop over time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer to hang mine from the cuff even though I don't always do it.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hang from the cuff for a day. Seems that this helps prevent bagging out at the knee. Then I drape over a trouser bar, folded neatly on the crease. I'd love to learn better ideas, if anyone has them.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I hang from the cuff for a day. Seems that this helps prevent bagging out at the knee. Then I drape over a trouser bar, folded neatly on the crease. I'd love to learn better ideas, if anyone has them.
This is similar to what I do.

After deciding what to wear the next day, I hang them by the crease. However, when I take them off, I brush and steam and then hang them by the crease until it's time to make the next day's selection. They are then put in the closet folded over the trouser bar. My preference has always been to store them hanging by the crease but space prevents this.

The practices and suggestions shared here are very helpful.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hang by the cuff. When I used to hang my pants on the trouser bar, it really sucked having to iron out the horizontal crease created by the bar before every wearing. Now, it's just grab and go, or touch up the vertical crease and go.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hang trousers by the cuff by those stupid unpadded wooden hangers that lock shut on the cuff. The ones that are sold everywhere. I find they are kind of awkward with cuffed trousers, especially ones made from thick material like heavyweight corduroy. I'd like to get some of those spring-loaded padded hangers that are marketed towards women's skirts. I think those would leave my cuffs in better shape.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hang on a trouser bar and have no problems. I own a whirlpool fabric freshener which I use occasionally to freshen and remove wrinkles....when I use that, I hang from the cuff inside the machine, then go back to trouser bar.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Empty.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
11903v6.jpg

This photo makes me cringe.

If you are going to hang your trousers on the bar, at least hang them properly.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
I hang my pants using clip hangers attached to the inside bottom portions of the pockets. This way the outside fabric isn't being pinched.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
How do you expect me to find my wallet if it isn't in the pants I wore the day before?

Look, don't bother posting if you don't have anything of substance to contribute to a thread, OK?

rolleyes.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a slightly unrelated note....what do you do when the dry cleaner presses the pants with a slightly different crease than the original?

1> Do you get a new cleaner? or do they all do it occasionally?
2> Do you try to repair, or just live with it?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have him killed. So, #1. Of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads