• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grenson rose collection

BAB

Reaction score
anyone has any experience with the shoes?

how are they in terms of quality/value for money vs. e.g. alfred sargent, cheaney or c&j??

heraclitus

Reaction score
From what I've seen, they're good quality and fairly priced. Not quite C&J standard, but as (I think) they range from around 2/3s to 1/2 of the price, you're getting value for money and a good, honest shoe.

I have a pair of Grensons from about 10 years ago, still holding up well! Their latest Rose Collection models don't appear to be any different from mine in general terms of construction/quality, so I'd have no reservations about purchasing a new pair from them.

trailer36

Reaction score
As I have just acquired a brand new pair of Grenson "Headingley" from the Rose collection I feel I should offer my thoughts. I heard good things about these shoes over on AAAC and decided to take the plunge. I will compare them to two of my current shoes, the Allen Edmonds Mcclain (on the 8 last) and the Crockett & Jones Hallam (on the 348 last). Here is the breakdown:

Price (retail)
Mcclain: $305
Hallam: $434 (pediwear, i know Plal sells them cheaper)
Headingley: $355 (again, pediwear for comparison purposes)

Leather quality
Mcclain: ainline calf, nice but fairly still and takes several wearings to break in.
Hallam: Soft, supple leather right out of the box and felt broken in after first wearing.
Headingley: Would rate these above the Mcclain and right below the Hallam in terms of leather softness. I really love the Cognac color of the leather and after a few wearings break in very well. I get complements all the time.

as you can see, I am very happy with my purchase and would reccommend these shoes to anyone. The leather quality seems very high to me as does the rest of the details of the shoe. Last is very elegant with more of a rounded toe than the Hallam but not so rounded as to look too "clunky". I would have made a comment about comfort but i understand that everyone's feet are different so that wouldnt have done any good. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the shoe and hopefully I can help you out.

tbone226

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about the "Grenson Rushden Collection"? I believe these are priced below the rose collection, but I was wondering how the quality etc is.

khaki sack

Reaction score
I wish they offered the Albert brogue in medium width.

Canberraman

Reaction score
I too recently acquired a pair of 'Headingley' and thay are my current favourites. To my untrained eye they seem nicer than my AE's.
I also have in transit the 'Radley' in cognac and the 'Ninian' in tan
smile.gif

At US$195-ish from Jacksonshoes I don't think they can be beaten.

BAB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canberraman
I too recently acquired a pair of 'Headingley' and thay are my current favourites. To my untrained eye they seem nicer than my AE's.
I also have in transit the 'Radley' in cognac and the 'Ninian' in tan
smile.gif

At US$195-ish from Jacksonshoes I don't think they can be beaten.

i also own a pair of radleys in black - they are very well made and i am impressed with the overall quality... they feel still a bit too narrow, but i'm sure it's because it's only my second wearing today...

i am waiting for a pair of headinglys in cognac
smile.gif
)

jackson shoes on e-bay are truly hard to beat!

trailer36

Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
I wish they offered the Albert brogue in medium width.

Khiakisack,

F fitting is actually medium width for these. I wear a 10D in AE's and the F fitting from Grenson is slimmer than the D. I think you would be just fine with the F width.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a lot of more expensive shoes, but my Grenson Rose cognac suede cap toes are among my favorites. Good quality, very nice last, excellent value.

zegnaheritage3.jpg

BAB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I have a lot of more expensive shoes, but my Grenson Rose cognac suede cap toes are among my favorites. Good quality, very nice last, excellent value.

zegnaheritage3.jpg

higher price doesn't always mean higher quality, huh?

BAB

Reaction score
i received a pair of cognac headinglys - wonderfully made shoes, and an extremely good value for money when bought on ebay
smile.gif

Robwynge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris

zegnaheritage3.jpg

That is exactly the color suede I have been looking for! I keep seeing dark brown suede, which looks a bit dull to me. May I ask where you got those shoes?

Thanks!

Canberraman

Reaction score
My Ninians arrived today
smile.gif

Hopefully the Radleys will arive tomorrow.

Biscione

Reaction score
I love them. Comfortable, subtle and classic styles, good shapes, fantastic colours.

If you prefer extremely polished and/or antiqued leather (I don't) they may not suit, but they're of a good quality and are very versatile.

BAB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canberraman
My Ninians arrived today
smile.gif

Hopefully the Radleys will arive tomorrow.

radleys are beautiful, though might be too narrow during the first wearings... the shoe itself is, however, built wonderfully and will last for ages if properly cared for..

headinglys are very good indeed, too..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads