• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SE Asia vacation - where to go?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking a trip somewhere in Southeast Asia for 4-5 days. Mainly just want to relax, enjoy the beach and fresh seafood/local cuisine. It doesn't need to be the most exciting place, but I'd like somewhere were there's at least something to do/see outside of the hotel. (I'm not a fan of the typical American-style resort in Mexico or whatever where you're basically confined to the hotel grounds)

Right now the places I'm considering are:
Guam
Saipan
Thailand
Bali

For some reason I get the impression that Guam and Saipan might not be as nice, but since they're a bit cheaper I'm considering them as well.

Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Obviously I have a bias toward Vietnam, but objectively, Thailand has everything and is a pretty easy trip for just a few days....

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please consider taking a bit longer vacation, as the places you want to visit may not be as easy to fire in and out of on a tight schedule, and you risk basically throwing out any of the relaxing advantages of the destinations. I'd suggest no less than 2 weeks for either Thailand or Indonesia. Bail is an easy destination as you can fly into Denpasar and be on the beach less than 15 minutes after you step out of the airport. Thailand requires more of a trek south of Bangkok, so you might try to arrange an onward flight and never step out at Bangkok.

My ideal chill out spot in SEA is Luang Prabang, in northern Laos along the Mekong. If you need a guesthouse recommendation for the town, just ask for Viradesa. He's a good man.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Guam? I think it is my top choice right now -- I'm having a hard time finding decent deals for places like Thailand since it seems to be a busy season for travel.

Originally Posted by johnapril
Please consider taking a bit longer vacation, as the places you want to visit may not be as easy to fire in and out of on a tight schedule, and you risk basically throwing out any of the relaxing advantages of the destinations. I'd suggest no less than 2 weeks for either Thailand or Indonesia.
Well, I live in Tokyo so it's a pretty easy/short trip to most places in SE Asia.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Has anyone been to Guam? I think it is my top choice right now -- I'm having a hard time finding decent deals for places like Thailand since it seems to be a busy season for travel.

Well, I live in Tokyo so it's a pretty easy/short trip to most places in SE Asia.

I lived on Guam for 4 years in the late '70`s, then took a trip back as an adult. It was not too impressive in comparison to Samoa. Member "watchingdetails" currently lives on Guam.

Bic

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically Guam and Saipan aren't even in SE Asia but...

Anyhow, if you (or anyone else on SF for that matter) happen to visit Singapore or pass through on transit, I'd be happy to entertain you for a bit. Not much to see, but LOTS to eat.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Definitely cross out Guam and Saipan from that list. I was there two years ago and I vowed never to go back.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dizzhizz
Definitely cross out Guam and Saipan from that list. I was there two years ago and I vowed never to go back.
Can you tell us more about that?

Karo

Reaction score
I'm heading over to Thailand next week. Phuket for 3 nights and bangkok for another 3 nights. So one week thailand trip including tickets, hotel + breakfast cost me $600usd.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
I'm heading over to Thailand next week. Phuket for 3 nights and bangkok for another 3 nights. So one week thailand trip including tickets, hotel + breakfast cost me $600usd.

The problem for me is that I'll be coming from Japan during the "Golden Week" holiday, so prices/availability are much, much worse.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lucky bastard.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
how about Boracay in the Phillipines?

or if you can get to Malaysia, gorgeous beaches around Redang and Perhentian.

Failing that, fly to Singapore and do a weekend package trip to Rawa (in Malaysia, but closer to Singapore than KL). Rawa is stunning....

Personally I am going to Con Dao again in a month, which is my favorite Vietnam chillspot.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm off to Bali next week, so, ummm... don't go there. Nothing available.

I would consider the recommendation to hit Laos. I haven't been, but I hear it's relatively unspoiled and probably pretty cheap. Thailand absolutely, if you've never been.

alexsandr, there used to be a seafood restaurant along the road from the airport to downtown Singapore with a huge sign that read, "If it swims, we got it." Always thought that summed up the cuisine pretty well. I'll be passing through for about three hours and would love to load up on some of my favourite dishes. Anything close to the airport (or even at the airport) you can recommend?

lefty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem for me is that I'll be coming from Japan during the "Golden Week" holiday, so prices/availability are much, much worse.

Guam or Saipan during Golden Week will basically feel like you are still in Tokyo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads