• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't get Corona

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Well, at least it's better than Sol... I made the mistake of staying in an all-inclusive resort in Mexico once, and that was the only beer they had.

'sol' is the cheapest beer in mexico. you can't find in stores though. instead, they send teenage girls in short shorts around town selling it out of ice cream carts. it still doesn't sell.

when i was in england, i saw a huge truck advertising 'sol' as mexico's #1 beer.
frown.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Corona's the kind of beer that's good to drink ice cold with lime while working outside in hot weather building a deck or something.
+1. It's basically flavored cold water.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
'sol' is the cheapest beer in mexico. you can't find in stores though. instead, they send teenage girls in short shorts around town selling it out of ice cream carts. it still doesn't sell.

when i was in england, i saw a huge truck advertising 'sol' as mexico's #1 beer.
frown.gif

At least they don't have a banner in the center of Mexico city, akin to the one Carlsberg has in Copenhagen: 'Quite possibly the best beer in Denmark.'

Corona is, as stated by others, a desert/hot day/working tough labor beer. It's other defining characteristic is it's longterm drinkability: my friend loves it because he can drink it from the beginning of a Sunday, pre-barbecue, all through the day and into the late night, awaking the following day with zero repercussions. As light and pissy as they are, one cannot do the same with your average crap American beer (Milwaukee's Finest, PBR et. al. start tasting like dirty dishwater by the end of a six-pack).

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
I dont mind Colona... its not that bad. lager is a means to an end.. if you want to drink something nice drink something else.. all lager is p1ss
plain.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thetieguy
I don't understand why so many people love Corona. I think it it horrible. I have never tasted pee, but I imagine it tastes like a Corona. I have even heard that Corona puts a small amount of pee into each batch to get the taste. It seems to be the summer drink for every frat guy. It is the worst Mexican beer by far and one of the worst I have ever tasted. Does anyone else agree with me or am I off base here? I do think their ads are somewhat clever.
And I've heard that if you dig deep enough in the sandbox you can get to China. I'm no fan of Corona, but I have to wonder why thinking about what pee tastes like is so fascinating to you.
Originally Posted by Merckx
+1 I also like Negro Modelo
+1; Also good is Leon Negro, which as far as I know is only available in Mexico (the Yucatan is the only place I've ever had it).
Originally Posted by odoreater
Corona's the kind of beer that's good to drink ice cold with lime while working outside in hot weather building a deck or something.
Reminds of me of what one of my roommates used to say about Weidemann's, which was by far the cheapest beer we could get at the supermarket in college: "If you drink it really fast when it's really, really cold, it's really not that bad!"

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Bohemia>every other Mexican beer. I had one today (at Outback of all places) and it only reminded me of what good beer can do to a meal.

+10,000. In Cannery Row, Doc calls Bohemia "the best beer in the Western Hemisphere."

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merckx
+1
I also like Negro Modelo

+1, correct name is Negra Modelo

Originally Posted by whodini
Bohemia>every other Mexican beer. I had one today (at Outback of all places) and it only reminded me of what good beer can do to a meal.

+1, la mejor, sin duda

Rani

Reaction score
I'll have to admit that Corona (with Lemon or Lime) was the first beer that I could tolerate when I was legally able to drink. It was my first foray into the wonderful world of beers. It's been a long time since I've ever had a Corona though, I've become addicted to India Pale Ales.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the Mexicans I know and all the fiestas I've been to have Tecate on hand. I don't recall seeing hot pin up girls in Corona attire plastered across Taqueria walls, it is always Tecate esse.

It is cheap, piss-esque beer that hits the spot nicely.

260005-10l.jpg

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
All the Mexicans I know and all the fiestas I've been to have Tecate on hand. I don't recall seeing hot pin up girls in Corona attire plastered across Taqueria walls, it is always Tecate esse.

It is cheap, piss-esque beer that hits the spot nicely.

260005-10l.jpg

do keep in mind you are in sacramento. tecate is not as popular as corona, pacifico, or dos equis in mexico, though for some reason the few who drink light beer drink tecate light (in a bottle). it's just another beer, no more authentic or hardcore than the others.

Jpreme87

Reaction score
My fav mexican beers.....

1- Victoria
2-Barrilito (from the makers of Corona/Modelo)
3-Leon
4-Estrella
5-Sol

smile.gif

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I used to drink a LOT of Corona, but it certainly isn't as good without the lime.

As has been mentioned, it's GREAT for heavy drinking when you're hot, thirsty, or tired. I also use PBR for the same purpose.

If I'm looking for something more high-brow I'd go for a Churchkey or something dark, but those aren't nearly as drinkable as Corona.

Come to think of it, I haven't had one it a while. Maybe that'll be what I pick up next time I hit the liquor store.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that people have fond feelings for corona because they remember spring break vacations in mexico, and for a 19 year old it seems exotic.

I had something called victoria which was my favorite mexican beer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads