• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 pair of AG's, a pair of 7FAM, and a pair of R&Rs. Why you ask? because they fit me. I would love to wear APC, Dior, 5EP, etc but I just cant. They just dont fit or look good on me. I am not going to not get a certain brand because say the 'Posers' have them. Hell Levis dont even look good on me and there supposed to look good on everyone. So its not fair to call everyone who wears "Mall Brand" jeans a poser.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^How can you say they don't fit you? Buy a cut that fits your style (those brands have just about every cut you could imagine, and if they don't, nudie does), and get your size right. There are swaths of quality jeans out there that would fit and look good on you if you took the time to find them.

dismember

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
So its not fair to call everyone who wears "Mall Brand" jeans a poser.

True, that would be overgeneralizing. I'd say it's more like 99.9% poser.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
So its not fair to call everyone who wears "Mall Brand" jeans a poser.

if they have fadz you are
nod[1].gif

modagg

Reaction score
I'm 21 and in college so i see nothing wrong with 'banging bitches" that I meet at the club. Right now I have a gf and if she had it her way I would look like I was sponsered by ralph lauren. I get $hit for looking at jeans all day long on the net and I got polo's (with the huge pony on the chest) for valentines day and will receive more on my birthday. I honestly think I deserve props for not dressing like a frat boy with all the pressures I receive to do so.

The reasons these amjacks wear what they were is because chicks like it. Just like you wear a suit to a job interview, you portray an image that you think the ppl want. I think the hate is out of jealously, putting in all the effort to look nice and then society thinks the dude in his ed hardy crap is "in".

I have two sets of clothes, the clothes i buy and the clothes i get. If I'm doing my own thing that day I'll dress more like whats accepted by this forum because its honestly what I like. If I'm going out with my lady friend, I'll throw on that poorly cut, overpriced rl striped oxford because I know thats what she likes and I could care less either way.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Seriously, man. I've made nice with sorority type girls, hipster girls, academic types, etc... and have gotten compliments from all while wearing non-amjack stuff. To be honest, the girl who gave me the most compliments was a girl who had a heavy sorority vibe (one who you'd think would like amjacks). After a few weeks in the class , we talked a bit afterwards and she complimented me on having a sense of style. Not that what i wear is crazy, but she said there's something different about it and she likes it.

Most guys on this forum wear jeans, shoes, with a tshirt/button down and some kind of jacket/hoodie. That's really not much different than your average guy. Only, guys on this forum try to do so with a bit more attention to fit, detail, material, color and general aesthetic. I think people exaggerate the difference between people on this forum and normal people who don't care much about clothes.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modagg
The reasons these amjacks wear what they were is because chicks like it. I have two sets of clothes, the clothes i buy and the clothes i get. If I'm doing my own thing that day I'll dress more like whats accepted by this forum because its honestly what I like.
Question to everyone: Assuming that chicks in general like the whole amjack look, do you think it's because that's all that they see out and about town? It seems like more guys out there dress as such than otherwise. What do you think the general consensus is among women regarding styleforumesque wear?
If I'm going out with my lady friend, I'll throw on that poorly cut, overpriced rl striped oxford because I know thats what she likes and I could care less either way.
Poorly cut? Not forum approved.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reasons these amjacks wear what they were is because chicks like it.

Wrong, they buy it cause it's all they know and don't care to invest the time into knowing anything else.

I have two sets of clothes, the clothes i buy and the clothes i get. If I'm doing my own thing that day I'll dress more like whats accepted by this forum because its honestly what I like. If I'm going out with my lady friend, I'll throw on that poorly cut, overpriced rl striped oxford because I know thats what she likes and I could care less either way.

This is really sad. Your gf should learn what a well dressed man looks like.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timpoblete
Question to everyone: Assuming that chicks in general like the whole amjack look, do you think it's because that's all that they see out and about town? It seems like more guys out there dress as such than otherwise. What do you think the general consensus is among women regarding styleforumesque wear?

I don't see where people think chicks dig the amjack look. As chrono has clearly stated, chicks dig men who wear clothes that fit and have some sense of style. The only reason you may think chicks dig the amjack look is because that is all they know.

aaronxxx

Reaction score
most women do not care what brand of clothes you are wearing. those that do are only after your paper anyways.

modagg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
Wrong, they buy it cause it's all they know and don't care to invest the time into knowing anything else.

This is really sad. Your gf should learn what a well dressed man looks like.

She likes my rlpl dress shirt not because it fits perfectly but because its ralph lauren. When I shop at macy's for my shirts/ties for work; they say how young I look for my age and think I'm 27 (but a well dressed 27w) because of the clothes I buy/wear. my buddies always bring me along when there buying suits and stuff. I always end up saying the same stuff "when in doubt size down, only slim fit dress shirts, and make sure the taylor takes in the sides of that suit coat, and don't even look at anything by kenneth cole."

maybe I'm the worst kind, I know how crappy the stuff is but do it anyways cuz thats what ppl want but I'm on your guy's side. I honestly look like a different person when I dress myself vs let the gf pick it out.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She likes my rlpl dress shirt not because it fits perfectly but because its ralph lauren. .
A little off topic, but RLPL has their custom fit stuff that fits a little slimmer in the body and such. You might want to give that a try next time.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She likes my rlpl dress shirt not because it fits perfectly but because its ralph lauren.

So the only reason she likes the RL shirt is the little polo pony on the front? A well fitted shirt isn't enough for her? She has to see branding to accept it?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know why I am posting ( again).
Women tend to gravitate towards things they know and they rub that **** off on weak minded men.
However a good majority of men on this forum dress better than chicks do and posses a style of their own. Women find this intimidating but then realize its a very cool thing in the end.
I deal with this **** EVERYDAY. It sucks when a guy wants to branch off on his own but he nagging ass GF or wife says " Oh Johnny what is KMW why don't you wear these OMG they are seven's I love seven's"
9 out of 10 times the poor SOB gets nothing because he is torn. it's sad very very sad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads