• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MB S550 vs Maserati Quattroporte

savvyibd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
The salesman might be a nice guy but he's blowing a lot of smoke.

The Quattroporte is restricted to 168 mph. Unrestricted it would go faster, but 195 mph??!

You're talking about a 4400 lb car with a 400 hp engine.
Maserati MC12 weighs 2943 lb with a 630 hp engine and goes 205 mph. Not exactly a grocery getter.

800pxmaseratimc12fq0.jpg

Anyway, unless you're commuting on the salt flats I guess it's not important. Beautiful looking cars, congrats.

I said around - at those speeds, it doesn't really matter and I'll probably never reach them.

He said you'd gain 15MPH. I don't remember what he said the restricted top speed was, though.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
I would not get the coupe... not at all. AT the price point that the dealer is offering the quatt, it is a very good deal. Always get a car with a warrenty... it will be a godsend when you really need it.

S550 is more of a boat compared to the Maserati. The quatt will have a stiffer suspension and so you will feel bumps in the road a bit more.

Now it is up to what you prefer. Do you like the interior, the exterior, the acceleration, the name, and how many there are on the road.

I have driven both, and I do prefer the sportier feel of the Maserati. At the same time though, I do enjoy the mercedes very much on the highway because it is very comfortable and I'm slightly biased as i own a c280.

Final Opinion: If the 4 door is new, in the color you want and that cheap with a warrenty... Get it.

Why wouldn't you get the coupe, simply because there's no warranty?

I'll have to test drive this weekend or next weekend and decide. But at 100k for a brand new Maserati - it's looking promising.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The salesman might be a nice guy but he's blowing a lot of smoke.

The Quattroporte is restricted to 168 mph. Unrestricted it would go faster, but 195 mph??!

You're talking about a 4400 lb car with a 400 hp engine.
Maserati MC12 weighs 2943 lb with a 630 hp engine and goes 205 mph. Not exactly a grocery getter.

195 MPH needs 56 percent more power compared to 168 MPH. Unrestricted, I assume the car could go a little faster than 168, but that's still a heck of a lot of power. I think QPs make 400 HP, so it would need more than 600 HP to get to 195 MPH assuming gearing isn't what limits its current unrestricted top speed.

Also weight doesn't affect top speed. Weight affects acceleration (including braking and turning). Top speed is just aero and engine power.

--Andre

savvyibd

Reaction score
Ah right my bad, it will get there eventually if there's enough power.

I think the Mercedes SL65 AMG with 612 hp V12 was limited by gearing when unrestricted. Actually I might be wrong about that.

I watched something on Top Gear after my friend in Europe got me addicted (he showed me the trip to America episode that couldn't be funnier) and they tested a SL Brabus(?) model and they said it handled like absolute **** because the car just couldn't take the engine.

And yes, I think the Quatt has 400HP.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Both are silver.

Are you familiar with their Coupe model? They want 49.5 with 18k miles.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I'm not sure about using the Maserati as a daily driver. Seems like more of a special occasions car to me. Make sure the Maserati dealer has a generous loaner policy for both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savvyibd
Why wouldn't you get the coupe, simply because there's no warranty?

I'll have to test drive this weekend or next weekend and decide. But at 100k for a brand new Maserati - it's looking promising.

The coupe looks and feels sportier and will be much more nimble in the twisties. The downside is the poorer resale compared to the sedan as well as the lack of convenience, as I mentioned in an earlier post. You can't expect to have rear seat passengers in the coupe.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The coupe looks and feels sportier and will be much more nimble in the twisties. The downside is the poorer resale compared to the sedan as well as the lack of convenience, as I mentioned in an earlier post. You can't expect to have rear seat passengers in the coupe.

At first I regretted switching from an MB sedan to coupe, especially since I already had a sports car; however, as time has gone by I've come to appreciate the attributes of the coupe even more. Besides, I have an SUV to use as a people hauler, when needed.

Well, I'm thinking about buying both.

The sedan is already 20k off retail so that takes a huge bite out of deprecation. I don't think I'd sell the coupe; the sedan in 2-3 years (depending on the new Porsche and the counters made by other companies)

I spoke to him about my height and he asked if it was in my legs or torso, and since it's in my torso, he said I shouldn't have a problem.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to throw a wrench in the mix, but i have been considering both cars too...and may be leaning more towards the Bentley (4-dr). The power....oh the power...and they depreciate like a rock. Look around for the 06 Bentley with 10-20k miles....they are in the very low 100-120k range. Again...the power of a large turbocharged engine is VERY intoxicating.

Regards.
PS. Now with three kids and a wife...but till 5 years ago had a 1000hp 98 Camaro Twin Turbo...I miss the car! Now an 07 Yukon XL Denali is the kid hauler for me.

savvyibd

Reaction score
I thought you were buying both. You're picking one or the other?

You might be annoyed with the stereo/climate control on the coupe.

I'm considering both after I read up about the coupe. I know *nothing* about it except how great it looks and the appealing price tag.

Hmm?

Pink22m

Reaction score
Corvette Z06: 3130 lb / 505 hp / 197 mph

Crazy acceleration... everyday driver supercar for 75k.
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I am absolutely puzzled that anyone would spend almost $80,000 for a Chevrolet.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
I hate to throw a wrench in the mix, but i have been considering both cars too...and may be leaning more towards the Bentley (4-dr). The power....oh the power...and they depreciate like a rock. Look around for the 06 Bentley with 10-20k miles....they are in the very low 100-120k range. Again...the power of a large turbocharged engine is VERY intoxicating.

Regards.
PS. Now with three kids and a wife...but till 5 years ago had a 1000hp 98 Camaro Twin Turbo...I miss the car! Now an 07 Yukon XL Denali is the kid hauler for me.

The W12 in the Bentley is truly amazing, especially since it has to move a very heavy car.

The sound of the engine alone is intoxicating and the burst of power available at low rpm will take your breath away.

As you've pointed out though, the depreciation on 12 cylinder vehicles can be drastic, especially for cars with little or no warranty. The potential for leaks and high maintenance cost is real.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I am absolutely puzzled that anyone would spend almost $80,000 for a Chevrolet.

You should drive the car. It is worth every penny....the new ZO6 is a true supercar at a fraction of the price.

Regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads