• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress in good Italian restaurants (NY)

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only been to NY on business, and then, when eating, the dress code was no problem: you just went with your business suit.
However, now I am going there on holiday with my wife, and I understand that people can be very "casual" in NY, so I wonder: is that also the case when you go to "good" restaurants? I guess that at least a sport-coat can be recommended, and I will bring one. But may ties and "more formal trousers" be required?
By the way, anyone can recommend restaurants with good Italian food in NY? I am not talking pizza&pasta, but tripe, brains,oxtail, pig foot and sweatbread dishes; I do not mind if they are not cheap, I just do not want to go to places which are costly merely because they are famous (however, I do not mind if they are famous because they are good). If you recommend something, please, also tell us about dress code and if it is necessary to reserve far in advance!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I have only been to NY on business, and then, when eating, the dress code was no problem: you just went with your business suit.
However, now I am going there on holiday with my wife, and I understand that people can be very "casual" in NY, so I wonder: is that also the case when you go to "good" restaurants? I guess that at least a sport-coat can be recommended, and I will bring one. But may ties and "more formal trousers" be required?
By the way, anyone can recommend restaurants with good Italian food in NY? I am not talking pizza&pasta, but tripe, brains,oxtail, pig foot and sweatbread dishes; I do not mind if they are not cheap, I just do not want to go to places which are costly merely because they are famous (however, I do not mind if they are famous because they are good). If you recommend something, please, also tell us about dress code and if it is necessary to reserve far in advance!

I would say that I had real trouble finding food that was realy italian in new york. good luck. I;ve had better luck in chicago.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sportcoat and jeans will serve in any Italian restaurant in New York, except the high, high end ones (I'm thinking of Del Posto)

Places you want to go:

Lupa - a casual version of Babbo, Mario Batali's place
Beppe - Tuscan food, great homemade sausage
Macelleria - good for sweetbreads and steak
La Dolce Vita on 13th Street - best trippa alla Romana I've ever eaten.

Enjoy!

Each of these places will need reservations a couple of days in advance.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Babbo was stuffy, and probably over-priced. The food was good, though.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
I thought Babbo was stuffy, and probably over-priced. The food was good, though.
I recommend Babbo, too. I've been twice and haven't found it to be stuffy, especially if you eat downstairs. It's a very relaxing atmosphere but I wore an odd jacket and tie. There were many diners who were sans tie and there may have been a few sans jacket.

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I would say that I had real trouble finding food that was realy italian in new york. good luck. I;ve had better luck in chicago.

lolz!

Joke post?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
lolz!

Joke post?

I don't joke about italian food.

But I also don't consider red sauce places to be italian food.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I don't joke about italian food.

But I also don't consider red sauce places to be italian food.

I agree with you. There are some very good Italian inspired restaurants, but real, good Italian food does not play well in the US as it is too simple to justify the prices that top quality ingredients necessitate. If you gussy it up a bit, then you can charge NY prices.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GT - seriously... that's not funny.

You made that same joke about Indian food in NY - that was OK. But Italian food? You cannot be serious. There is more "real Italian" food in NYC than anywhere else outside of Italy. It's probably the most concentrated Italian diaspora in the world. I don't know sh!t about "real Indian" food, but I know "real Italian" food when I see it

I'd add that I've had much better Italian food in NYC than I did when I was leaving in Paris (which obviously, is much closer)

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went for, Roberto's with, Mr. Bodner and his, posse wearing a total, tweed ensemble (TTE). I was surprise to, hear 1 man at the, next table request pasta with, his risotto.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
GT - seriously... that's not funny.

You made that same joke about Indian food in NY - that was OK. But Italian food? You cannot be serious. There is more "real Italian" food in NYC than anywhere else outside of Italy. It's probably the most concentrated Italian diaspora in the world. I don't know sh!t about "real Indian" food, but I know "real Italian" food when I see it

I'd add that I've had much better Italian food in NYC than I did when I was leaving in Paris (which obviously, is much closer)

What NY places do you consider good?

The best I've ever had was a tiny little place in the Village, whose name escapes me.

Red sauce Italian ain't all bad. Fresco in midtown is great. Bice is a high end, non-red sauce Italian, but as Matt notes, they have to dress up the food to impress the midtown diner, and the prices are horrible.

ccc123

Reaction score
San Demonico - on Central Park South - Formal - always excellent!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads