• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superfoods!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Wondering if there are any other fans of these amazing food/supplements? Wheatgrass, chlorella, spirulina, alfalfa, blue-green algae, etc.

If you drink Odwalla, you might want to try making your own. Not only is it cheaper, but being fresh and not flash-pasturized makes it even healthier. I can't wake up in the morning without my "superfood" smoothie.

Currently I take spirulina and chlorella only because they are the most nutrient dense.

In the morning drink smoothies made from banana, pineapple juice, coconut milk, splash of lemon juice, soy lecithin granules, spirulina, and a little bit of chlorella.

At night I like to drink 2 teaspoons of chlorella mixed in fruit juice or sometimes even water (you get used to the taste).

The amazing difference I've noticed in my energy levels, attitude, appetite, etc have piqued my interest in other such super supplements such as bee pollen, royal jelly, and msm. Has anyone tried any of those as well?

If anyone is interested in trying spirulina/chlorella, I'd highly recommend getting the powder from an online vitamin discounter such as luckyvitamin, iherb, or nutritiongeeks. Capsules and tablets may seem more convenient, but it takes an absurd amount of capsules to equal one teaspoon of the powder form, not to mention powder is so much cheaper and better digested.

Javyn,

it always seems with these things that it says "take 16 tablets 3 times a day" or something like that.

how much do you actually take? I can't see taking something like this more than once a day.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah globe, that's a good point. Capsules are typically 500mg each, where a rounded teaspoon of powder has around 5 grams. That along with cost are why I'd only recommend the powder.

I tried taking the capsules at first, I was taking 3 grams of spirulina and 3 grams of chlorella daily (12 pills total). It wasn't so bad, but the stuff had me feeling so good I wanted to seriously increase my dose, and couldn't see taking such an absurd amount of capsules to get over 10 grams of the stuff in me a day.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah globe, that's a good point. Capsules are typically 500mg each, where a rounded teaspoon of powder has around 5 grams. That along with cost are why I'd only recommend the powder.

I tried taking the capsules at first, I was taking 3 grams of spirulina and 3 grams of chlorella daily (12 pills total). It wasn't so bad, but the stuff had me feeling so good I wanted to seriously increase my dose, and couldn't see taking such an absurd amount of capsules to get over 10 grams of the stuff in me a day.

so you take 5 grams of each, once a day? and that gets you the results that you have?

by the way, I had a friend who was crazy about royal jelly - I have no expereince my self, he loved it. I take a teaspoon of good organic honey a few times a week, but because I like the taste.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds very intriquing. I know they put these chlorophyl stuff in the Odwala green bottles.

I don't know about royal jelly and all that, but had tried green barley, in the powder form, back a while ago. It completely cured my brother of his seasonal allergies.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Odwalla's effective ingredient is actually spirulina. They just flash-pasturize it so its' not as good, and not to mention expensive as hell!

I take 5 grams of spirulina and 10 grams of chlorella a day. I will doubling this amount in a month or so once my body adjusts to this level I am taking now (I have recently doubled the chlorella to 10. I ws taking 5).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
kwik, chlorella and spirulina are both different types of algaes, and both are the most nutrient dense foods in the world. A single teaspoon of spirulina for example, contains around 200% of the daily recommended value of vitamin a in beta carotene form, and 33% vitamin b12.

Both are also great sources of chlorophyll, with chlorella having by far the highest concentration of it than any other source. spirulina comes in at a distant second. Both are also incredibly sources of protein, second only to the egg.

Chlorella is also great for detoxification, because it's tough cell wall binds to mercury and other poisonous metals and enables you to pass them. Which is why it's a good idea to start off slow with chlorella and work your way up to the normal dose, you WILL **** your guts out when you first take it.

Since they're algae, can I just scrape the green film from my pool and drop that in the blender? Sounds about the same.
tounge.gif

Not the first time I've heard this, and strangely enough, not the first time I've given it serious consideration.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since they're algae, can I just scrape the green film from my pool and drop that in the blender? Sounds about the same.
Because many strains of algae are toxic and can kill you.

By the way, I don't take it all at once, I break up my dose throughout the day. I take in 5 gram increments. So one dose of spirulina and two of chlorella taken separately throughout the day.

bure

Reaction score
So javyn,

Where do you buy chlorella and spirulina? (I prefer to buy locally)

How much does it cost per day for you to take them?

I will just buy one of them for now, which one would you prefer?

Can you actually taste the chlorella/spirulina? What flavor?

Thanks

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you buy locally, you will pay out the ass. I buy from luckyvitamin.com. Iherb.com is slightly more expensive, but they have reviews so you can research the brands you seem interested in. Both of those sites are 35 - 60% lower than retail, so going local isn't really a good way to do it in this case unfortunately.

Yes, you will taste both at first. Chlorella is grassy and spirulina is a bit fishy. Start out mixing it in pineapple juice or apple juice until you get accustomed to the taste. After a week or so I quit noticing the taste at all and can drink them with just water now. But don't let the taste scare you away at first, use juices.

Also, it's best to eat both on an empty stomach. And eat chlorella half an hour before a meal.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Because many strains of algae are toxic and can kill you.

By the way, I don't take it all at once, I break up my dose throughout the day. I take in 5 gram increments. So one dose of spirulina and two of chlorella taken separately throughout the day.

I shave with a straight razor and am therefore manly and invulnerable. I laugh in the face of death. Except when I nick myself.

I think Mrs. T loaded up on Japanese chlorella tables (liquid sunlight?), maybe I'll start up on those since she's not using them. May try spirulina once I get back to running again.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've broken it down, it costs from 4 - 6 cents a gram if you get the powder in bulk. Try not to pay above that.

And just starting out, I'd recommend spirulina since it's easier on the stomach and won't lead to immediate detox. It also ROCKS for giving incredible amounts of energy.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I ... am therefore manly and invulnerable. I laugh in the face of death.

All while having a Bea Arthur avatar. That, sir, is impressive.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Japanese chorella (vulgaris) is more nutritious than the Chinese strain (pyrenoidosa), but Chinese has tougher cell walls and will do a better job at detox.

The brand she probably has is Sun Chlorella, it's the most popular sold, but also really expensive.

I take Jarrow Yaeyama (vulgaris) in powder form. It's the superior Japanese strain, in powder form, and much cheaper if you buy it by kilo from one of the bulk vitamin sites.

I'd of course recommend getting a small 4 oz bottle to try first though. Don't want to drop 50 bucks on a kilo if you end up hating it or being unable to tolerate or put up with the initial detox symptoms from taking it.

I think Mrs. T loaded up on Japanese chlorella tables (liquid sunlight?), maybe I'll start up on those since she's not using them. May try spirulina once I get back to running again.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the detoxifying properties compare to those of my own mid-stream urine?

Well, somebody had to say it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads