• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
what do you mean by 'premium'
I could be totally wrong on this but I thought "premium" brands were the ones that focused on high quality but the name wasn't exactly the selling point: Sugar Cane, 5EP, R&B, Samurai, etc... While "Designer" brands would be the big name guys like Diesel, Dior Homme, R&R, TR, etc... with varying levels of quality.... I guess in some cases like Dior Homme you might have a combo of both. Is this right?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
To the industry and retailers Premium Denim is 7FAM, RR, TR, etc.

I'm not sure what they are calling Sugar Cane and all of that stuff. Perhaps it has shifted and now those things are premium, 7FAM is designer and DH is luxury.

Dior Homme, Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc would be designer.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
premium denim is anything that costs more than 20 dollar Levi's.

~fini~

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jok5tr
i'm new to the forum and just by a quick look through it, it seems like a lot of people are really against premium denim like rock & republic, sfam, and true religions. instead, they opt for brands like apc and nudies. why is that?

Because they look ******, they fit ******, their quality is ****** and their price is outrageous.

You can buy crappy looking denim of poor quality for 30 bucks at your local suburban mall, you don't need to pay True Religion 300 to make you look stupid.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I'm not sure what they are calling Sugar Cane and all of that stuff.
I would like to take the opportunity here to define the nomenclature of the the SugarCane, 5ep, R&B, Samurai, etc. jean. I'm calling them "Purist" jeans. Now, runteldat.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Premium = the price you pay for the marketing budget

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
Because they look ******, they fit ******, their quality is ****** and their price is outrageous.

You can buy crappy looking denim of poor quality for 30 bucks at your local suburban mall, you don't need to pay True Religion 300 to make you look stupid.

Whilst I have a lot of disregard for the products mentioned this is an uneducated and "marsupialed" response to the question.

The fits aren't ******, especially the women's jeans. Any company that can make a cellulite riddled arse look like the Holy Grail are onto something.
Perhaps the washes, especially the vintage with faux whiskers is particularly lame to those with a stronger knowledge/passion for natural fading. The quality is actually very good in terms of where products can be made in the world. Sewn and washed in Los Angeles by workers on a competitive wage (Not children in China working for pennies), fabrics are sourced from Italy and Japan for the most part. Washes are done domestically and vintage treatments are produced individually by hand. Now that these companies are transitioning to Mexico for production the sew and wash standards may slip.
Price is reflective of cost to produce. The chain stores are the biggest culprits of final retail price, many markup 2.7 from the brands wholesale cost. If it costs 7fam $60 to produce and they wholesale at $120 many retailers will almost triple that wholesale versus a fair double, instead of paying $240 you find a sticker price of $324.

As for the main question of being labeled lame, it's mostly about the demographic buying into the marketing and celebrity hype rather than the integrity of the products.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you lord for rationality. I've been arguing forever that these products are not "garbage", and that very male rationalizations for buying some expensive products over others ("quality*, longevity, etc...) are simply ill informed.

On the other hand, companies like 5EP do make better products, and the margins on certain of the "niche" brands tend to be considerably lower than those for brands like 7FAM. And the marketing budget for some of the niche brands is minimal to non-existent.

Originally Posted by Rye GB
Whilst I have a lot of disregard for the products mentioned this is an uneducated and "marsupialed" response to the question.

The fits aren't ******, especially the women's jeans. Any company that can make a cellulite riddled arse look like the Holy Grail are onto something.
Perhaps the washes, especially the vintage with faux whiskers is particularly lame to those with a stronger knowledge/passion for natural fading. The quality is actually very good in terms of where products can be made in the world. Sewn and washed in Los Angeles by workers on a competitive wage (Not children in China working for pennies), fabrics are sourced from Italy and Japan for the most part. Washes are done domestically and vintage treatments are produced individually by hand. Now that these companies are transitioning to Mexico for production the sew and wash standards may slip.
Price is reflective of cost to produce. The chain stores are the biggest culprits of final retail price, many markup 2.7 from the brands wholesale cost. If it costs 7fam $60 to produce and they wholesale at $120 many retailers will almost triple that wholesale versus a fair double, instead of paying $240 you find a sticker price of $324.

As for the main question of being labeled lame, it's mostly about the demographic buying into the marketing and celebrity hype rather than the integrity of the products.

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Please kid, don't use big words if you are going to sound like a fool. First off, it isn't a matter of education it is a matter of aesthetics. True Religions look horrible, at least as far as I'm concerned. Their huge and wide stitching looks amaturish and stupid> Their back pocket design is maybe the worst in the biz. And their distressing, fake whiskers and so on look as bad as the kind of fake **** sold on the streets of NYC for 30 bucks. The other brands mentioned aren't quite as bad, but are still very sub-par aesthetically speaking.
The quality is actually very good in terms of where products can be made in the world. Sewn and washed in Los Angeles by workers on a competitive wage (Not children in China working for pennies), fabrics are sourced from Italy and Japan for the most part. Washes are done domestically and vintage treatments are produced individually by hand. Now that these companies are transitioning to Mexico for production the sew and wash standards may slip.
No, the quality is not "very good." Look, the question here is expensive ass denim. If you want to compare 7s or True Religions to some **** you get on sale for 15 bucks at TJ Maxx... okay, the quality is better. But the quality is in general much worse than good denim in the same price range. APCs, Sugar Cane, Samurai, even Nudie or Earnest Sewn are much better quality for the price. Hell, frankly you can get 40 dollar Levis with the same quality as crap like True Religion and the washes won't look totally idiotic.
Price is reflective of cost to produce.
This is laughably naive.

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
very male rationalizations for buying some expensive products over others ("quality*, longevity, etc...) are simply ill informed.

On the other hand, companies like 5EP do make better products

Were you purposefully trying to contradict yourself in the span of two sentences?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads