• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Boot Camp for Civilians?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the war started I almost joined the military but for reasons I won't go into here I'm glad I didn't. I would, however, still like to experience boot camp, especially a Navy SEAL type thing. Is there anything available for civilians? Will the military let you visit just to kick your ass for a few weeks?

Nonk

Reaction score
Being ex-military I am rather suspicious of these things.

Why would you want to do such a thing?

If you feel you will get some direct benefit by doing it then ok, but these things usually attract more than a few Walter Mitty wannabe types who like to revel in the association with the military and the kudos their (the military's) training earns them (which is only that, training, it is a means to an end) but don't wish to make a sufficient commitment to join and who obviously are never tested for real.

I find it a bit distasteful myself.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's called the reserves. ;p

And I doubt any civilian program would put you through a similar level of distress as a SEAL program would because they'd be worried about civil lawsuits.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
When the war started I almost joined the military but for reasons I won't go into here I'm glad I didn't. I would, however, still like to experience boot camp, especially a Navy SEAL type thing. Is there anything available for civilians? Will the military let you visit just to kick your ass for a few weeks?

most of the people in the armed forces couldn't complete SEAL training. What the **** makes you think any company, government or otherwise, would let you try it, fail miserably, then sue them?

That being said in Russia they'd certainly do it for a price.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was an article in one of the papers about 2 weeks ago about independent contractors who will do a kick-your-ass thing for prospective brides who want to lose weight and look better in their strapless gowns. About 6 weeks, reasonably full days with nasty stuff guaranteed. Not SEAL caliber, obviously, but helpful to the average urbanite.

Droog

Reaction score

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. why not join the reserves?

2. seals train for something like 18-20 months. don't fool yourself

3. I think that the civillians play camps like you are looking for are geared towards allowing civillians who were too ***** to enlist to say "hey, I coui;d have been a seal is I wanted to, but I didn't agree with Bush's politics. but I did do a 5 day seal like training"

4. boot camp is about a lot of stuff that you simply won't get it you are a paid tourist. it is a great deal more demanding than you can imagine.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I really don't see what you would gain by going through this ordeal without facing the psychological impact of a possible trial by fire in case of conflicts. Just hit the gym and you'll get physical results reflective of your commitment.

Note: I'm just saying; I have never nor would ever consider enlisting, major ideological and psychological change notwistanding.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It's called the reserves. ;p

Hey now...
plain.gif

tounge.gif

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be a trash collector either.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i kind of see where the OP is coming from. he just wants to know if he could have handled boot camp.

to answer the question, at the gym i go to there is a class taught by an ex-military instructor that has a boot camp type class. i mean its a couple hours a week but its rough as hell from what i have heard.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
Being ex-military I am rather suspicious of these things. Why would you want to do such a thing? If you feel you will get some direct benefit by doing it then ok, but these things usually attract more than a few Walter Mitty wannabe types who like to revel in the association with the military and the kudos their (the military's) training earns them (which is only that, training, it is a means to an end) but don't wish to make a sufficient commitment to join and who obviously are never tested for real. I find it a bit distasteful myself.
It is all hypothetical but you are right, making the commitment is the hardest part so in a way it is pointless. It is more curiosity than anything. I think witnessing such a thing will give some more respect for the military, but for others it would just boost their ego like globetrotter pointed out. I really don't mean to be distasteful because I support the military as much as anyone. The reserves are something I've seriously considered but I'm pretty sure it would be almost the same thing as active duty if I enlisted right now. I'm better off going into some heavy martial arts, which is what I was going to do anyways. I'll also ad that I think every single citizen should at least go through basic training because it is just a good idea for citizens to have some idea of what to expect and have some chance in hell of coping if we are ever invaded.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reserves are something I've seriously considered but I'm pretty sure it would be almost the same thing as active duty if I enlisted right now.

Definately depends on your MOS (job) and the type of unit you're in.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._19211170/pg_1

"After just 11 days of basic training, former heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe bowed out of the Marines.

Bowe, who was granted' age, weight and dependent waivers so he could enlist, told his drill instructor and battalion commander that the regimen was too strict, that he missed his family and that he wished he'd enlisted when he was younger. Bowe, 29, had only gone through three days of physical training before he realized that he could not cut it at basic training in Parris Island, SC. A recruit can be asked to be dismissed at any time.

Bowe made a three-year commitment to the Marines as an active reserve (JET, Feb. 17). He was scheduled to stay at Parris Island for three months and was to serve a total of three years in the active reserve and then five years in the inactive reserve."

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll also ad that I think every single citizen should at least go through basic training because it is just a good idea for citizens to have some idea of what to expect and have some chance in hell of coping if we are ever invaded.

Do what you want, but this line of thinking got me to seriously wondering. If you believe this sort of thing, I would propose a tougher path for you than the military or the martial arts and that would be a nice long sit in a vipassana meditation center. I think 3 months in Rangoon would shape your mind up nicely, serve you with more pain than you could ever imagine in the SEALS, and all you'd have to do is sit for 20 hours a day. You think I'm joking? I dare you. I dare you to even consider it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads