• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed -- what to wear to my wedding?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I am getting married this fall. And I'm having a little trouble determining the proper attire.

The wedding will take place late September on the lawn of a nice house in Nantucket with water views. The ceremony itself will be held sometime between two and four o'clock, after which there will be a cocktail hour and dinner inside. It will be a pretty small wedding, maybe 50-60 guests, mostly family.

The bride will most likely be in some kind of Vera Wang dress, not a super formal one, however. Bridesmaids will be in pale blue dresses (again, not very formal), and groomsmen are TBD -- either navy blazers and khakis or navy blue suits, probably the former. After all, it's Nantucket, so it's somewhat casual.

The question is, what do I wear? I need formal enough to match the bride, but not super over the top formal. The time of day of the whole procedure adds additional complexity.

Here is what I'm thinking -- I'm curious to get feedback on my general idea:

Navy blue three piece suit made of Lessers 11 oz fabric.
English silhouette (I will probably use Field's).
Peaked lapel, one (maybe two) button. Probably one.
Besom pockets.
Lapels on the vest.
White linen pocket square.
Tie, color TBD, possible complementing bridesmaid dresses, possibly a more traditional muted gold or silver.
White shirt, possibly dobby to add some texture.
Flat front trousers with tabs (no belt).
Black C&J Aintree shoes.

Good call? Bad call? Anyone have any better ideas?

I figure if I get married I might as well at least get a new suit out of it.
lol8[1].gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds very well thought-out. Not your garden variety business suit. I like it. You could also consider a DB versus the three piece. Beyond that I don't think I have much to offer.

You'll probably get some objections to the lapels on the vest as a country detail on what is otherwise a fairly formal suit...but you won't get them from me.
wink.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If you've ever wanted a DB vest, this would be the time to do it ...

However ... much as I think "matching" among groom and groomsmen looks silly and contrived, I do think the overall formality level ought to be the same. I don't think a three piece suit on you pairs well with blazers on them. If you are in a suit, they should wear suits, IMO. Otherwise, you could all wear blazers.

Pair yours with light gray or cream gabardine. It will look smart enough for an outdoor wedding.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A navy suit is a good choice and will look rather classic in the photos of your wedding. I would vote for the silver tie with the white shirt.

I have seen groomsmen in blue blazers and khakis at weddings held at resorts and wineries in the summer. It is a nice look.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, get a real wedding tie. Solid ties are great, but not as elegant for this particular occasion.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Oh, yeah, get a real wedding tie. Solid ties are great, but not as elegant for this particular occasion.
A little O/T, but when you go to a wedding as a guest, should you wear a wedding tie? It seems that many of my friends are getting ready for a second go, and they have chosen marital virgins, so wedding season might be upon me again.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
A little O/T, but when you go to a wedding as a guest, should you wear a wedding tie?

I always do. They look so nice. And it's not like wearing the special boutennierre, which would make you look like you are posing as a member of the wedding party. It's just a tie after all. But it's formal and festive at the same time, which is what the occasion calls for.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, congratulations.

Also, I didn't see you mention it. Will your suit coat have double rear vents?

And if you are thinking of coming out of the wedding with a superb usable business suit, I would consider flapped versus besom pockets.

I agree with Manton that there might be a disconnect if your groomsmen are wearing blazers and khakis and you are in a 3 piece suit. But this would be overridden by the fact that you would feel like you are at a similar level of formality to your bride.

And there ain't nothing wrong with coming out of the celebration with a nice Navy suit.

Remember, montecristo#4, about 50% of marriages work out these days, but a beautiful Navy suit is timeless and forever
smile.gif
devil.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

What exactly constitutes a wedding tie, and do I have to wear one as the groom? I wanted to just wear a navy tie with white stripes--bad?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What exactly constitutes a wedding tie, and do I have to wear one as the groom? I wanted to just wear a navy tie with white stripes--bad?

Oh, yeah. You'll be in divorce court within the year.
sarcasm.gif

Seriously, it's a gray/black/white/silver check or plaid or Macclesfield. It's the traditional English tie for a wedding, and the custom is, or was, widely followed on the Continent. I love them.

weddingtiesib1.jpg

macclesfieldsvv5.jpg

dscn2660zt1.jpg

Second from right is the one I wore to my own wedding. It is a black and light silver shepherd's check -- the ne plus ultra of wedding ties. I have also loaned it to two friends who have worn it to theirs. Far right is the one my father-in-law wore. I bought ties for the wedding party (all different), and he gave his to me when it was over, saying that he could not imagine any occasion to ever wear it again.

Far left is what I wore to my daughter's baptism. The others I have worn to other people's weddings.

I would not wear a striped tie to a wedding, either as guest or groom. They are too informal and (frankly) just don't rise to the occasion.

Unlike some other, more prolific authors
sarcasm.gif
, I hardly ever get to point people to my ouvre, so here goes! For further reading:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=6562

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh

Also, I didn't see you mention it. Will your suit coat have double rear vents?

Absolutely.

Originally Posted by rnoldh

I agree with Manton that there might be a disconnect if your groomsmen are wearing blazers and khakis and you are in a 3 piece suit. But this would be overridden by the fact that you would feel like you are at a similar level of formality to your bride.

I am thinking of just putting the groomsmen in navy suits.... The bride's gown will most likely be kind of a cream color, not white, so I am a little reluctant of going khakis-and-blazer myself because my trousers could clash with her dress.
confused.gif

[/quote]

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congradulations.

I would suggest you cross check with your future wife before you finalize on anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads