• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 pairs of Allen Edmonds..excessive?

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
I had ten AEs that I wore and have sold eight of them off. The other two are beaten up and buried in a closet for the last two years. Among other shoes, I'm onto Alden and have 4 pair of shells from ebay and SF at much less than retail. There are some new cap toe AEs that look magnificent but for me to buy more shoes at this time would be collecting and I can't justify the purchase.

Completely agree with you on the collectiong part Deacon.
I had shoes that just collected dust and weren't even worn.

I'm going your route and selling off 80% of them...

35DIVG2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Paul Smith?

P.S. I may be one of the very few people on this board who finds Allen Edmonds shoes old-fashioned and not for anyone below 40.

Classic taste is never old fashioned or out of style. Yes, I'm 44 but have been wearing A-E (read afford) since my mid-thirties. I'm currently serving in the Balkans as an Army officer and the men in Europe mostly wear those ridiculous looking Italian square toe shoes that could double for kicking field goals. Rarely do men in Europe, outside the UK, wear classic shoes like A-E or Brooks Brothers.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be fair, I can't imagine needing more than ten shoes. I have maybe five or six shoes in rotation and that seems more than enough to me. I've bought maybe one or two nice pairs a year over the past three years.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 35DIVG2
Classic taste is never old fashioned or out of style. Yes, I'm 44 but have been wearing A-E (read afford) since my mid-thirties. I'm currently serving in the Balkans as an Army officer and the men in Europe mostly wear those ridiculous looking Italian square toe shoes that could double for kicking field goals. Rarely do men in Europe, outside the UK, wear classic shoes like A-E or Brooks Brothers.

There are lots of classic shoes that aren't Allen-Edmonds. And there are lots of classic shoes that are more refined and more elegantly shaped while using better materials.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
To be fair, I can't imagine needing more than ten shoes.

I find this post offensive. How do I report this to the mods?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40% of my shoes are Zegna. I won't tell you the number.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I find this post offensive. How do I report this to the mods?

I also think a man should be able to make do with three pocket squares--at most.

peepwall[1].gif

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
To be fair, I can't imagine needing more than ten shoes.

You just made aportnoy cry! In all seriouness, I agree with you (my limit is 15 though). I think many on this forum just like to collect shoes and rarely, if ever, actually wear them.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd hate to think how many pairs I've got, but I'm happy to have most of them. There are some I haven't worn -- either because I already have something similar in the rotation or because of hesitation because of fit/style/etc. I buy and sell regularly, so if something doesn't work for me, it eventually hits the auction block. It's a good way to subsidize future purchases, I've found. I have a couple pairs of unworn EGs that may go soon.

For the most part, though, I'm very happy to have a nice selection. I rarely wear bals with sportcoats, or bluchers with suits, and so that automatically ups the number in my rotation. I also like seasonal shoes, so that adds a few more. Factor in the black bals I rarely need, my love affair with boots, unusual specimens that strike my fancy ... these things add up quickly.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I buy and sell regularly, so if something doesn't work for me, it eventually hits the auction block. It's a good way to subsidize future purchases, I've found. I have a couple pairs of unworn EGs that may go soon.

Don't you lose a lot of money on resale? I have a pair of unworn Lobbs I'm reluctant to get rid of because I bought them at full retail.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
You just made aportnoy cry! In all seriouness, I agree with you (my limit is 15 though). I think many on this forum just like to collect shoes and rarely, if ever, actually wear them.

I wear all of mine; I keep a rotation list. Admittedly, some get worn more than others because they are more "standard" in style; I have lots of occasional shoes that get worn less, but they all get their turn.

As for "quality" issues -- you know, for many of us out here in Middle America, AE satisfies our needs pretty well in terms of quality, styling, and price. I won't turn down more "exclusive" shoes if I don't have to pay full-price, but $400.00/pair is about my outer limit (if we're not talking exotics). Not begrudging those of you who have the budget and (as important) the inclination to purchase high-end and custom-made items, but you are a minority among a minority.

MLR

Reaction score
I probably have 8 pairs of AEs - but I've paid as little as $40 for a pair while never spending more than $120 (all new or almost new)...well, except for the Bancrofts in black shell for which I paid around $240.

As far as "better made" shoes, I do have CJs, Tramezza's and one pair of EG's which may be more stylish, but I don't think the AE's will fall apart on me any sooner then the aforementioned brands...

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'd hate to think how many pairs I've got, but I'm happy to have most of them. There are some I haven't worn -- either because I already have something similar in the rotation or because of hesitation because of fit/style/etc. I buy and sell regularly, so if something doesn't work for me, it eventually hits the auction block. It's a good way to subsidize future purchases, I've found. I have a couple pairs of unworn EGs that may go soon.

For the most part, though, I'm very happy to have a nice selection. I rarely wear bals with sportcoats, or bluchers with suits, and so that automatically ups the number in my rotation. I also like seasonal shoes, so that adds a few more. Factor in the black bals I rarely need, my love affair with boots, unusual specimens that strike my fancy ... these things add up quickly.

I apologize if I came across as being opposed to having a large shoe collection. I generally wear 6 in my rotation but I have more shoes that are seasonal. I'm all for whatever makes sense for anyone else. It's just that, my situation dictates an increased level of restraint (from my former buying habits) and maybe even austerity for the next few years.
musicboohoo[1].gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
I apologize if I came across as being opposed to having a large shoe collection. I generally wear 6 in my rotation but I have more shoes that are seasonal. I'm all for whatever makes sense for anyone else. It's just that, my situation dictates an increased level of restraint (from my former buying habits) and maybe even austerity for the next few years.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Oh, no reason to apologize. I was just sharing a differing viewpoint. I've been thinking of trimming down the ol' collection myself, just for manageability.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads