• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Shirt?!

limelight88

Reaction score
I am planing to buy a black shirt I use to wear black alot in late 90s but then I stopped since I am italian and it makes my skin look a little dark. Anyways I have decided to buy a black shirt I live in Canada now. I never buy anytype of clothing on line which means my options are limited. Anyways I want to spend at max $400. I tried couple of shirts last week I didn;t have time to make my decision. I tried a Prada shirt for @290 which is gonna be around 340 with tax and everything. I want a slim fit shirt. Which designer you guys think I must try?

PS: I hope it is not a stupid thread since Black shirts are once again fashionable.

Executive

Reaction score
if u have the money, ralph lauren (purple or black label)

limelight88

Reaction score
haha this was fast , money is not a problem but I think it doesn;t make sense to spend more tan $400 on a shirt. Also I spent a lot last season I want to limit myself.

limelight88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Executive
if u have the money, ralph lauren (purple or black label)

BTW for some reason I am not really attracted to Ralph Lauren can not remember the last time I wore anything by Ralph Lauren. Well do they make nice shirts?

Executive

Reaction score
I nearly came feeling their $90 shirts.

Purple Label/Black Label=high-quality stuff.

Also, try Thomas Pink.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really?
confused.gif

limelight88

Reaction score

Purple Label/Black Label=high-quality stuff.

Also, try Thomas Pink.

Thomas Pink ! I heard about it while ago is it like Ted Baker?!

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limelight88
I am planing to buy a black shirt I use to wear black alot in late 90s but then I stopped since I am italian and it makes my skin look a little dark. Anyways I have decided to buy a black shirt I live in Canada now. I never buy anytype of clothing on line which means my options are limited. Anyways I want to spend at max $400. I tried couple of shirts last week I didn;t have time to make my decision. I tried a Prada shirt for @290 which is gonna be around 340 with tax and everything. I want a slim fit shirt. Which designer you guys think I must try?

PS: I hope it is not a stupid thread since Black shirts are once again fashionable.

First, I don't think that many here will approve of a black shirt...

Well anyway, at your pricepoint, what about mtm/bespoke?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
First, I don't think that many here will approve of a black shirt...

Well anyway, at your pricepoint, what about mtm/bespoke?

Just wander into any high-end menswear store, look through fabrics and tell them what you want. custom made is going to be better quality than anything prada has anyways.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SF will be the judge of that.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas Pink ! I heard about it while ago is it like Ted Baker?!
Thomas Pink make better quality shirts than Ted Baker. Not as "trendy" or fashionable, but finer cotton, and a wider range of collar and cuff options. I have a Martin Margiela black shirt that I really like; I would recommend Margiela clothing highly.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, black shirts can't be laundered (commercially) without acquiring an unsightly shine about the collar and cuffs. They really need to be hand pressed, using a press cloth; mind you they still end up looking like crap.
blush.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some guys can pull off the black shirt look.

Here's an Italian version:

180px-Czarne_koszule.png

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
They really need to be hand pressed, using a press cloth; mind you they still end up looking like crap.
I don't think so.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
FYI, black shirts can't be laundered (commercially) without acquiring an unsightly shine about the collar and cuffs. They really need to be hand pressed, using a press cloth; mind you they still end up looking like crap.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
I don't think so.

I iron my only black shirt inside out, and it's held up fairly well. I do agree with Tomasso that regardless of the amount of care, they'll always look more worn than light colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads