• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wot Jermyn str. (RTW) shirts are best?

mrbig

Reaction score
I might get shot at for this, but, IMO Turnbull & Asser makes very good shirts, if you get them on sale at Harrods, they are around 50GBP, so to me, they seem to be of good value. Dunhill (the made in italy ones) seem pretty good too, fabric is rather soft and light. Harvie & Hudson make very, very good shirts for the price, 99GBP for 3 shirts, although I think that fabric is a bit too thick for my tastes.

My 2 pence

Tibo

Reaction score
Subjective matter...

_ Amongst traditional Jermyn Street shirtmakers, I'd rank T&A and H&K in the first tier. N&L is very close to them but I like them a bit less.
_ I know they receive criticism here but in my opinion Charles Tyrwhitt shirts are good value for money when bought at reduced prices (ie all the time). However, they don't compare to T&A and H&K in terms of fabric and construction. TM Lewin probably plays in the same league as CT but the collars don't work as well for me.
_ I've had good experiences with Coles (not on Jermyn Street but who cares) too.
_ I think Pink shirts are overrated and overpriced.

The rest I don't know enough to make judgements.

lithium180

Reaction score
Of those that I've owned, CT definitely is of the lowest quality. I liked the TM Lewin shirt that I had very much and my two Thomas Pink shirts (both Made in Ireland) were the best of the three.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what ppl think about Hawes and Curtis on here but I got a couple of their shirts on sale last time I was in London and I'm happy with them.

Goldie

Reaction score
I think Ede & Ravenscroft makes beautiful shirts. Not cheap, but certainly high quality. Hilditch & Key is also worth a try, especially when they have a sale.

CT offers a product that is based on the same designs, but their products match their price: they're inferior to real Jermyn Street shirts. I've bought a lot of CT shirts in their sales, just to wear to work, but I am done with them. I'd rather save up and get 1 nice shirt than 4 mediocre CT ones.

I agree that Pink is overpriced --and overrated.
It seems with Jermyn Street shirts, the more marketing, the worse the shirt.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goldie
I think Ede & Ravenscroft makes beautiful shirts. Not cheap, but certainly high quality. Hilditch & Key is also worth a try, especially when they have a sale. CT offers a product that is based on the same designs, but their products match their price: they're inferior to real Jermyn Street shirts. I've bought a lot of CT shirts in their sales, just to wear to work, but I am done with them. I'd rather save up and get 1 nice shirt than 4 mediocre CT ones. I agree that Pink is overpriced --and overrated. It seems with Jermyn Street shirts, the more marketing, the worse the shirt.
Regarding CT, that's exactly my point. At the GBP 30 price point, they are perfect workhorse shirts, the kind of shirt I pick in my closet on regular mornings. They look good, but certainly don't maintain as well as pricier ones. Having said that, even if I'm the first to buy H&K over CT if I have a choice, I have to confess I'm not fully convinced that the price difference only reflects quality & fit differences. To me, a CT shirt is simply just not 2 times worse than a H&K shirt (I'm not addressing patterns issues here, only quality, durability and fit). Yet, very often, a H&K shirt is double the price of a CT.

nbutter

Reaction score
there's an irish-owned brand, not on Jermyn St., called "Henry Jermyn." got a shirt there in dublin, and it's better than TM Lewin, equal to Pink or a bit better, just to throw another option out there!

Goldie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
Regarding CT, that's exactly my point. At the GBP 30 price point, they are perfect workhorse shirts, the kind of shirt I pick in my closet on regular mornings. They look good, but certainly don't maintain as well as pricier ones. Having said that, even if I'm the first to buy H&K over CT if I have a choice, I have to confess I'm not fully convinced that the price difference only reflects quality & fit differences. To me, a CT shirt is simply just not 2 times worse than a H&K shirt (I'm not addressing patterns issues here, only quality, durability and fit). Yet, very often, a H&K shirt is double the price of a CT.

Well, it seems to me you're comparing apples and pears. There is the category of 'Jermyn street shirt'. H&K belongs in that category. So does T&A, Ede & Ravenscroft, some others.

Then there is a big gap in quality -- and then you get to the category of Jermyn Street copyists. These shirt makers have taken the basic design and type of patterns offered by Jermyn Street and make them in cheap-labor locations, with lesser quality materials and much lower standards of workmanship. Clearly, CT falls in this category of Jermyn Street for the masses. As does Pink.

Now, compare with cars. For a family of five owning two or three Hondas probably makes a lot more sense than owning one Bentley. Practical needs unfortunately must come first, given budget restraints.

But let's not pretend Bentleys and Hondas belong to the same category of thing.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your views; T&A is priciest but maybe I'll try that one next cause it has a good rep.; till now I have only experience with TM Lewin which is actually quite good and held up well during the years and Harvie&H. whose offer for 3 shirt à ~50€ is also fair, cant say much, yet; received that order just the other day- price is good if one looks at the quality...

How would a T&A fare next to a Brioni- are prices a good reflection for relative quality, there...?

HitMan009

Reaction score
When Charles Tyrwhitt first started advertising in the states around 4-5 years ago, the quality was way better then it is now with almost all of the fabric wearable and elegant. Now every year, they have these ugly stripes and only one or two fabrics that are wearable. And with construction and fit that are just plain crap.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listening to you guys I'd rather leave out CT if ordering online..maybe I could check out the store some time when in London...

I ordered from H&H out of the blue online...so went for very laid back and casual stuff (will append pic)...but I must say that compared to TM Lew. the "regular" sleeves are a tick too long (on the button downs)...so take care there, everyone- ordering online is always a very iffy business, anyway...otherwise there're ok- like 'em..

P3180111-1.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried Harvie and Hudson (H&H), Hilditch and Key (H&K), New and Lingwood (N&L), Coles and Charles Tyrwhitt.

As others have said, Tyrwhitt quality is not nearly as good, but you get what you pay for. They're a serviceable shirt, albeit with a rather stiff collar.

Of the others, I found H&K to fit me best. Their standard shirts have a slightly slimmer fit, in my experience, than the others that I've named above, and they just seem to suit my frame really well. Having said that, for the quality, H&H is truly excellent value if you take advantage of their "3 for GBP100" deal.

Coles is nice, but I prefer H&K and H&H.

N&L is also very nice, but not so nice as to be worth a premium over H&H. I can't remember whether my N&L shirt cost more than my H&K shirts.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
H&K's RTW shirts are the best quality RTW on Jermyn St. Turnbull & Asser's RTW shirts are well made and may be more elegant with their pronounced collar and flashy 3-button cuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics