• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Hi all,

Any recommendations of jeans for a fat guy like me with fat piling up in the mid/lower body? 6', 230lbs, typically wears Banana Republic size 36-38, depending on the fit (having pretty fat thighs/hamstrings).

APC Rescues in like a size 36 (will stretch to 38 or more)?

Mushroom77

Reaction score
Hi there, I've been lurking around for a week or two, great forum.

I've been intrigued by Raw (or just dark) jeans, any recommendations for a pretty cheap pair (hopefully ~$100 US) for a size 38? I'm looking for a straight, pretty relaxed fit, and I'm almost 5'6... Short and fat
tounge.gif

capnpyro

Reaction score
I've worn a pair of Dior 21cm's for the past year that've turned out to be my favorite pair of jeans. I'm heavily debating getting something else just for variety sake and having just to have some different looking jeans but I so just want another pair of 21cm's.
frown.gif
I'm considering Samurai (sv5000x, or maybe 510's) in place. This isn't so much a question as a livejournal rant. Mood: Confused??? Actually I do have a question, I've seen pictures of some Samura's with the arc on the backpocket fading in, did they just reverse it since the Levi suit so the logo and put it on the inside of the pocket so it fades in in time, is this all models, or am I just high?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mushroom77
I've been intrigued by Raw (or just dark) jeans, any recommendations for a pretty cheap pair (hopefully ~$100 US) for a size 38? I'm looking for a straight, pretty relaxed fit, and I'm almost 5'6... Short and fat
tounge.gif

You can start with Gap's resin coated jeans such as these http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...127&pid=541527 http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...494&pid=552099 Levi's Capital E Rigid are available on eBay for under $100. You can also try Levi's Shrink to Fits. If you're willing to spend a bit more, APC Rescues at 36.
Originally Posted by capnpyro
I'm considering Samurai (sv5000x, or maybe 510's) in place. This isn't so much a question as a livejournal rant. Mood: Confused??? Actually I do have a question, I've seen pictures of some Samura's with the arc on the backpocket fading in, did they just reverse it since the Levi suit so the logo and put it on the inside of the pocket so it fades in in time, is this all models, or am I just high?
Maybe you meant S5000VX and Levi's 501. But both are different cuts. The S5000VX is a straight leg all the way while the 501s is slightly tapered. If you want something similar to the classic 501 cut from Samurai, the S0500XX is one. It's only for the BiG X Samurai USA model. http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 The other Levi's inspired Samurais that you buy from the US are not going to have the arcs and tabs.

capnpyro

Reaction score
Ahah, yes, after a bit of reading it's the S0500xx that I'd be interested in, good call sir. Still debating here, sadly.

Mushroom77

Reaction score

waterpig

Reaction score
How do I find a pair of jeans with a shorter inseam? I was trying on Ernest Sewn and 7 for all mankind jeans that fit well in the waist but the inseam was at least four inches too long in every pair.

What I'm really looking for is a pair of jeans in a darker blue (but not as dark as indigo) with a regular fit and medium rise (~10.5-11"). My budget is ~$150 but I prefer to spend less. My usual waist size is 32" and my inseam for dress pants is ~29". Thanks for any advice!

nino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million

Measure the waistband of jeans that fit you well. APC Rescues are a great recommendation but DO NOT get size 36. Rescues stretch like hell and after having 3 pairs Ive got the sizing down. For reference a pair of 34 rescues stretched to 39" waist. Basically Ive found rescues stretch to tag size + 5" so use that as a guide.

nino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million

See my above post. Rescues are a great inexpensive straight leg semi-relaxed jean but be careful about sizing.

nino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by waterpig
How do I find a pair of jeans with a shorter inseam? I was trying on Ernest Sewn and 7 for all mankind jeans that fit well in the waist but the inseam was at least four inches too long in every pair.

What I'm really looking for is a pair of jeans in a darker blue (but not as dark as indigo) with a regular fit and medium rise (~10.5-11"). My budget is ~$150 but I prefer to spend less. My usual waist size is 32" and my inseam for dress pants is ~29". Thanks for any advice!

I dont get people complaining about inseams being too long. Hem them, its real simple. Imagine if inseams were all too short for you, then youd have a real problem.

June

Reaction score
I'm in the market for new jeans with a taper. I have sz28 Skull 5010s that fit fine in the thigh, but I wish would fit more snug in the calf (I have skinny legs). Nudie Thin Finns have the dimensions I want (7" knee, 6.75" hem vs 7.5" knee, 7.25" hem on the Skulls), but I'd like some suggestions for Japanese denim. I'll just go to a tailor as a last resort with whatever jeans I buy if there aren't any Japanese jeans with a Thin Finn fit.

waterpig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nino
I dont get people complaining about inseams being too long. Hem them, its real simple. Imagine if inseams were all too short for you, then youd have a real problem.

Of course I could get them hemmed but from reading some of the threads here, I was under the impression that it inadvisable to hem the darker denim jeans.

Do you know if 7 for all mankind jeans stretch out? The pair I tried on fit me a little loose in the waist but quite well everywhere else.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Of course I could get them hemmed but from reading some of the threads here, I was under the impression that it inadvisable to hem the darker denim jeans.

I don't know which threads you've been reading. Generally, if you want stacking, don't hem. If the jeans with 32" inseam have washes and fading, in which the jeans knee fading would fall way below one's 29" inseam knees, don't hem. Though I don't know why you would want to buy them in the first place if they don't match.

If the jeans doesn't have any washes or fading, and you don't want stacking, hem them all you want.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Do you know if 7 for all mankind jeans stretch out? The pair I tried on fit me a little loose in the waist but quite well everywhere else.

All jeans stretch and it's fine to hem jeans of any color/type/provenance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads