• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
No bonded gold is when a gold sheet is wrapped around a metal...how I said it is interchangable with gold filed.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but from experience, the gold filled watches (mostly vintage the like of Hamilton, Elgin, Helbros and maybe Bulova) have uneven metal composition. You can polish it but one spot would look slightly yellow and one spot would look slightly pink, unlike solid 18K.

Originally Posted by stickonatree
it's only gold plated on SS (poor man's watch). why is it bad to polish it if it's gold filled?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
twpt debut. Sinn 556.

wi2bdt.jpg

fydh5x.jpg

ba6c8.jpg

Came on a black strap, but I am experimenting with a Hadley Roma padded tan strap. Looking forward to adding the Sinn deployment down the road. To me this watch strikes the perfect dressy casual balance. The brushed metal and gloss dial dress up this modern flieger derived time piece.

bcate3

Reaction score
Love the combo, sartort. I've put a HR tan, non-contrasting stitched band on my black-dialed Seiko 5. Transforms that watch, too. I think I might like the dial of the 556 better than the 656. Nice watches and nice value, even with the recent price increases.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
DSC_0022.jpg

smile.gif

Very badazz!!! Me likey!

I have recently come to realize that my vintage watch collection is highly deficient with the total absence of Longines. Must rectify.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimbo3971
Hey all, does ayone think I could pull off wearing this watch with a formal business suit? I'm thinking it might be limited to less formal wear. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180201849460
dress watches are usually very simplistic, and smaller/thinner. this gigantic chronograph doesn't seem to fit that bill at all.
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Very badazz!!! Me likey! I have recently come to realize that my vintage watch collection is highly deficient with the total absence of Longines. Must rectify.
thankee, sir; correct thy problem asap with some vintage "flagship" or "mystery dial" models!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimbo3971
Hey all, does ayone think I could pull off wearing this watch with a formal business suit? I'm thinking it might be limited to less formal wear.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180201849460

You'll probably get differing opinions. Some will say that any nice watch is fine with a suit (make no mistake, that's a nice watch). I'm of the view that you're better off wearing that watch as what it is, which is a sport watch. I have an Omega Seamaster Chrono, which is the functional Omega equivalent to that watch and the most formal I am comfortable wearing it with is a sports coat or blazer. YMMV.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure these aren't everyone's likening, but I do like my Rolex's on NATO straps..

Before
DSC00002.jpg

SS Rolex GMT Master IIc
L1020571.jpg

L1020597.jpg

L1020655.jpg

SS Role GMT Master II
L1020670.jpg

L1020666.jpg

L1020695.jpg

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
twpt debut. Sinn 556.

ba6c8.jpg

Came on a black strap, but I am experimenting with a Hadley Roma padded tan strap. Looking forward to adding the Sinn deployment down the road. To me this watch strikes the perfect dressy casual balance. The brushed metal and gloss dial dress up this modern flieger derived time piece.

Shoes AND watches? My goodness sartort, SF cannot be good on your wallet.
smile.gif

On another note, you seem to have very skinny wrists, what is the diameter on that Sinn? I have very skinny wrists too so looking for watches that look ok on them are problematic

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pursuant to the topic of watches, I feel alligator and crocodile straps are ubiquitous.

I like tan ostrich and also grey elephant, which are the two kinds of straps I wear with yellow gold watches. I also have a brown lizard, but I hardly wear that watch anymore.

jimbo3971

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
You'll probably get differing opinions. Some will say that any nice watch is fine with a suit (make no mistake, that's a nice watch). I'm of the view that you're better off wearing that watch as what it is, which is a sport watch. I have an Omega Seamaster Chrono, which is the functional Omega equivalent to that watch and the most formal I am comfortable wearing it with is a sports coat or blazer. YMMV.

Funny you should mention the Omega Seamaster Chrono, it's the competitor to the Brietlings in my "high end chrono" quest and still in the running. It's a bit cheaper too
smile.gif
I plan to look around for another couple of months before I decide. Thanks for the help all!

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Shoes AND watches? My goodness sartort, SF cannot be good on your wallet.
smile.gif
On another note, you seem to have very skinny wrists, what is the diameter on that Sinn? I have very skinny wrists too so looking for watches that look ok on them are problematic

Good spot...I do indeed have small wrists. 6.5" in fact. My wife likes to tease me about this. The Sinn 556's case is 38.5 mm in diameter. This is about as big as I'd like to go. I think 39 max. I don't feel comfortable with the mega huge watch phenomenon that is going on right now. The Sinn feels just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads