• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to wear when greeting royalty?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to a complicated set of circumstances, I've been contacted by the Norwegian embassy in D.C. and asked to receive crown-prince Haakon at Logan airport here in Boston next week. He'll be arriving from Norway and I'm to usher him through baggage claim etc. and make sure he gets to his limo. It's some kind of formality whereby a rep of the Norwegian gov't needs to be there along with the State Dept guys.

So my question is what would be appropriate to wear? My natural instinct is my top-tier conservative business dress attire, but maybe not. It's not like I'm having an official audience with him and he's a pretty hip young dude (went to UC Berkeley; married a single-mother commoner whose babydaddy was in jail on drug charges, etc). Should I still play it proper and go solid-solid-solid, or can I wear something a little more lifelike?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried about overdressing. Wear what you think looks good.

Are you Norwegian?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Are you Norwegian?

Indeed I am. My father is the Honorary Norwegian Consul for Boston (a ceremonial post which pretty much just means you have to answer passport and visa questions and get Norweges a lawyer if they're arrested in your jurisdiction), but he'll be in Norway next week. The duty therefore falls to me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's cool - I have always wanted to be an honerary consul.

I would say just a relativly conservative suit. less because of the king, but I am guessing that state department types will be in pretty trad suits, and you don't want to look bad next to them.

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
Wear a good suit that fits well to show respect to the crown-prince, not just as royalty but also as a guest. Plus you will probably appear in photographs, so you don't want to look sloppy for posterity.

But your clothes should not call attention to you. After all, the ceremonies are not about you, but about your guest. Your instinct to wear conservative business dress is right on.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Due to a complicated set of circumstances, I've been contacted by the Norwegian embassy in D.C. and asked to receive crown-prince Haakon at Logan airport here in Boston next week. He'll be arriving from Norway and I'm to usher him through baggage claim etc. and make sure he gets to his limo. It's some kind of formality whereby a rep of the Norwegian gov't needs to be there along with the State Dept guys.

So my question is...

I thought you were going to ask for me to send you a small down payment after which time the Crown Prince would favor me with a reward of $100,000. But seriously, I'd make that first sentence my signature for all e-mails.

Oh, I'm not sophisticated enough for this discussion but Qasimkhan sounds spot on.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I saw the thread title and who the OP is I thought you were going to meet King Obama of Kenya
smile.gif
devil.gif

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Incidentally, it's important to address him properly. I learnt from my old man that if I was receiving an ambassador, I was meant to call him "your excellency". I don't know what it would be for a prince. Excellency? Highness?

I guess just don't call him bro.

zshaver

Reaction score
I would probably err on the side of caution, although I would say dress conservatively with some aspect of flair.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Incidentally, it's important to address him properly. I learnt from my old man that if I was receiving an ambassador, I was meant to call him "your excellency". I don't know what it would be for a prince. Excellency? Highness?

I guess just don't call him bro.

In the south, no doubt we'd greet him as "feller."

I don't recommend this either, Phil.
wink.gif
In any case, I think it sounds like a pretty neat occasion and a great conversation piece to drop in for posterity, "You know, Prince Haakon and I were chatting one day..."

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is he likely to wear?

Just because he is a member of a Royal family he will not travel in formal clothes in every circumstance.

I would suggest you make enquiries and then match it if a suit and perhaps go no lower than trousers and tie so that if you do have to argue with some officious American jobsworth at the airport who would rather no one entered the company you look that part.

Surely the air line will look after him if he is considered that important?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SUIT UP!

Regardless of what he will wear, you'll probably be best off in a suit-- as you approach him, he'll likely recognize that you're coming to greet him. as another member commented, it's not what he's wearing, but how you view the occasion and show respect to your guest.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say most definitely a suit. It's irrelevant what he wears, basically you are performing an official function as a representative of your country, so you'll have to look the part. And in most places 'looking the part' means a suit, and solid-solid-solid at that. Well, solid-solid-stripe is possible but no more!

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Dark charcoal or navy suit (solid or pinstripe), black laced shoes, white shirt, french cuffs, red or blue tie, if you want a pocket square, stick to plain white linen. You greet the dignity not the person! (and you are acting as a representative of a diplomatic function), so no personal feelings there! The proper way to address is Your Royal Highness (at least for the first time, the you can go with Sir. If he is landing directly to Boston, the norm is to greet him in the plane, along with the State Dept. representative - you first as the envoy of Norway and then the SD guy (or lady). Things will be normally usherd by SD, but you need to contact them. Normally you are asked to travel with him to the hotel, alongside with the SD. The best will be to contact the Norwegian Embassy in D.C., the Ambassador will know everything, don't be shy. The Norwegian Royal family is pretty much laid back (all royals are IMHE) but you must treat them with respect!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads