• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess cats are smarter than some audiophiles:

http://gizmodo.com/371536/300-audiop...eally-worth-15

virtual-dynamics-power-3-cables-cords-wire.jpg

The bad grammer and spelling are probably just their way of throwing us off.

--Andre

rpatrick

Reaction score
My two amps worth:

Records: Lots of british 12" EP, single and LP imports from the 80s and 90s, with some jazz -- davis, brubeck, coleman, 60s samba-jazz

System (open for pic)
  • Turntable - Systemdek IIX with systemdek arm and Audio-Technica OC9 MC cartridge
    with: Herbies Audiolabs platter cover and weight/clamp - great value
  • CD - ARCam Delta 170 Black box and DAC
    with: Herbies Grungebuster II cd ring
  • Pre - Perreaux SM2 Class A
  • Amp - Muse Audio - Muse 100
  • Dynaudio Audience 50s

Originally purchased with PSB 300s for $3,000 CAD back in 1995 (?) on consignment from Audio Excellence in Toronto.

Added the Dynaudios later...

Don't get to listen to it much any more with two kids under 6. haven't made that headphone investment yet!

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
I have a simple stereo system. I would like to get a Bose (Are those good?).
I also like LaMusika speakers from Acapella. Maybe I'll should get the latter.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic

What kind of tonearm did it come with?

Congratulations on your new 'table.

Thanks, I haven't got it yet but according to the auction description, it's a Basik. I may hunt for a Aikito or Ittok, I'm not even thinking about a Ekos. Some say nonLinn ones are pretty good too, but I believe they're a bit more fiddly, new armboard etc. Anyway, one step at a time. I'm going to pick up the turntable myself when I get time. Auction says there are BNC connectors which sort of confuses me. Comes with cheapie Linn Basik speakers too, which are probably better than my current Wharfdale delta 30s
smile.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Bose are generally not good.
Do you have any upgrades to your TurnTable? Like acrylic platter etc. I am highly skeptical of the benefits, but would like to hear first hand account if possible. Thanks

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Do you have any upgrades to your TurnTable? Like acrylic platter etc. I am highly skeptical of the benefits, but would like to hear first hand account if possible.

Thanks

I'm running stock right now and it has an acrylic platter. Sounds great. I will get the outer ring weight at some point.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Audiophile talk bores me, so I won't get into the specifics of my set-up, but my CD player (the best I've ever heard) might surprise some people:

300px-PlayStationConsole_bkg-transparent.png

thepataphysician

Reaction score
kenwood reciever that i use as an ipod input
sony tape and cd players - that I shoud just disconnect because I never use them
technics sl-1200
infinity minuette speakers (5 + a sub)

I got the whole lot off craigslist for $75, leaving me with more to spend on clothes.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Audiophile talk bores me, so I won't get into the specifics of my set-up, but my CD player (the best I've ever heard) might surprise some people:

300px-PlayStationConsole_bkg-transparent.png

You need to get out more.
smile.gif
There are much nicer CD players although some PSs are decent sounding.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Thanks, I haven't got it yet but according to the auction description, it's a Basik. I may hunt for a Aikito or Ittok, I'm not even thinking about a Ekos. Some say nonLinn ones are pretty good too, but I believe they're a bit more fiddly, new armboard etc. Anyway, one step at a time. I'm going to pick up the turntable myself when I get time. Auction says there are BNC connectors which sort of confuses me. Comes with cheapie Linn Basik speakers too, which are probably better than my current Wharfdale delta 30s
smile.gif

Regarding tonearms, I've been through three different ones with my LP12. It came with an old SME with a damping system. It did not do the 'table any favors, so I dumped it and got a used Akito. Huge improvement... When a used Ittok came along, I put that on and got a huger improvement. You may want to look for a well cared for, affordable Ittock. It was Linn's top-of-the-line tonearm before the Ekos came along. The Ekos is still incredibly expensive. I would recommend trying an Ittock as it is reasonably close in performance for a fraction of the cost. Many Linn fans with very high-end systems still use the Ittock. Also, the Ittock can support a top-quality cartridge, if you so desire. (many other tonearms are not rigid enough) The beauty of the Linn is that you can keep upgrading, as your budget allows, and it keeps getting astoundingly better. But, stick with all Linn stuff on your turntable. Lots of people like to mix and match 'table parts, but the results I've seen have not been so impressive. I've found Linn really knows what they're doing, and if there is a viable upgrade, they will offer it. Have fun with the LP12!

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I'm going to pick up the turntable myself when I get time.

Oh yeah...VERY IMPORTANT

That's a smart idea picking up the LP12 yourself. Here are Linn's instructions:

"We recommend that your LP12 be transported in its original packaging. The outer platter must be removed and placed in the bottom packing tray and the inner platter removed and placed in the top tray. The counterweight should also be removed from the arm. The deck should then be placed in its original packing, with the arm and cartridge removed. Under no circumstances should the deck be shipped with the arm fitted to the turntable. The red bearing cap should be fitted to prevent oil spillage. Please note: when re-packing the turntable, remove the two bottom cover screws which are located between the turntable feet. If these screws are left in position during shipping, they will damage the rim of the platter."

At the very least you MUST pad the inner platter so it does not bounce around at all when you move it. Otherwise you will have a very expensive repair on your hands.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Bose are generally not good.

Is there someone you're trying not to offend? Lets be honest, Bose sucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads