• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

review of mytailor.com

norton

Reaction score
I just received my first order from mytailor.com and thought I'd post a review.

I joined the forum a couple months ago and since then have been shopping around and trying out some different clothes. I have a real problem finding sport coats that fit and a decent local alterationist so I decided to give the MTM route a try. I made an appointment to see Mr Hemrajani when he was in Chicago in the beginning of February.

We met at the hotel room and he measured and photographed me. He had a table full of swatches sitting in front of the window and I picked out a Loro Piana super 120 navy blazer, gray slacks and a two dress shirts. I had the opportunity to specify every detail I wanted. The clothes arrived in about four weeks and I am extremely happy with the results. Everything fits perfectly and the materials are very nice. The bill was about $ 1,200.

I may continue to buy shirts from lands end custom, but mytailor.com has a much larger selection of patterns and fabrics so I'll probably buy some from there also. I expect to buy all my jackets and slacks from mytailor from now on.

My one complaint is that their web site isn't very good. The fabrics aren't described as well as they could be, some of the pictures of swatches don't show up, and some fabrics choices appear when I'm not logged in, but don't appear after I log in.

At least now I have one outfit that fits well.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Could you post photos please?

finch

Reaction score
Pictures would be great, I have just that hold up as well with the site. Links that don't work and the swatches samples could be better displayed, even at a zoom the site needs work.
Originally Posted by norton
My one complaint is that their web site isn't very good. The fabrics aren't described as well as they could be, some of the pictures of swatches don't show up, and some fabrics choices appear when I'm not logged in, but don't appear after I log in.

At least now I have one outfit that fits well.

norton

Reaction score
I'll try to post a picture. It may take a day or two.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also looking at mytailor.com for a simple navy suit; their price are very competitive with brands such as Hugo Boss where I have most of my suit/jackets from.

Does mytailor.com do MTM or Bespoke suits? How's the ordering process and the selection of styles/cuts? I prefer the looks of, say, Paul Smith or Prada, instead of the more traditional looks (which is too forward for my taste).

It would be my first time doing these type of purchases.
musicboohoo[1].gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
I am also looking at mytailor.com for a simple navy suit; their price are very competitive with brands such as Hugo Boss where I have most of my suit/jackets from.

Does mytailor.com do MTM or Bespoke suits?

This is something I've thought about a lot. I would characterize it as somewhere between made to measure and bespoke. It's not a strict made to measure program because they will tailor things to your exact specification (if you want the top button to be 17" down the inside line of the lapel from the collar, that's what you'll get), but it's also not bespoke, where you get multiple measurements before the garment is complete. Also you're getting a fused coat. That said, the range of fabrics is fine and the price is competitive with any of the top brands.

How's the ordering process and the selection of styles/cuts? I prefer the looks of, say, Paul Smith or Prada, instead of the more traditional looks (which is too forward for my taste).
You'll be fitted, you can specify exactly what you want (do ask about fusing; the last time I ordered I wasn't as informed as I am now, also insist that you want a tight fit, if you so choose) and you'll get a suit in about six weeks.

Also, you'll find that the forum uses the word 'forward' much more about Paul Smith or Prada than about traditional looks.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
This is something I've thought about a lot. I would characterize it as somewhere between made to measure and bespoke. It's not a strict made to measure program because they will tailor things to your exact specification (if you want the top button to be 17" down the inside line of the lapel from the collar, that's what you'll get), but it's also not bespoke, where you get multiple measurements before the garment is complete. Also you're getting a fused coat. That said, the range of fabrics is fine and the price is competitive with any of the top brands.

You'll be fitted, you can specify exactly what you want (do ask about fusing; the last time I ordered I wasn't as informed as I am now, also insist that you want a tight fit, if you so choose) and you'll get a suit in about six weeks.

Also, you'll find that the forum uses the word 'forward' much more about Paul Smith or Prada than about traditional looks.

Basically agree with all of this except the bolded portion. They will give you a fused garment if you don't care and don't know the difference. They will give you a sewn, fully canvassed coat if that's what you want with no difference in price.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good news.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was given a $100 upcharge for a fully canvassed coat. The tailor tried to talk me out of it, saying it wasn't necessary. I disagreed with him. I'd be interested to know if others have not had this upcharge. If that is the case, I'd like to bring it to Joe's attention. I've had all kinds of issues with my suit. I'm quite pleased with my shirts from them, particularly with the Thomas Mason fabrics, but the suit has been a disaster.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked for a fully canvassed suit, but apparently I didn't press the issue enough because I received a half canvassed suit. All in all, its decent. I had a couple issues with the fit of the suit, and they took it back to make the adjustments with only a little fuss. The pants are fine.

Shirts are only OK. Oddly enough, my Jantzen fit better than my Hemrajani shirts, even though I've probably had 5 in-person shirt fittings with Ram.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't want to name names, but I do think that your experience with them is highly dependent on which person you work with. Joe is fantastic. No issues at all. Very good at what he does and very easy to work with. Others...well let's say I'm still evaluating.

As far as the upcharge: Don't quote me on the "no extra charge" comment. It could be that it was in the price I paid already so that I didn't see the upcharge. They tend not to be super transparent about pricing. You tell them what you want and they give you a price without a lot of detail on how they got to that price; at least when you meet with them in person. I keep working with them because their prices are great and so far the results have been pretty good.

However, I'm wearing my newest shirt today for the first time and while it's really good, I don't think that the latest fitting tweaks I ordered got made.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell

Thanks for the advice!!

Any other pointers that I should take note before I visit them next month?

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I don't want to name names, but I do think that your experience with them is highly dependent on which person you work with. Joe is fantastic. No issues at all. Very good at what he does and very easy to work with. Others...well let's say I'm still evaluating.

As far as the upcharge: Don't quote me on the "no extra charge" comment. It could be that it was in the price I paid already so that I didn't see the upcharge. They tend not to be super transparent about pricing. You tell them what you want and they give you a price without a lot of detail on how they got to that price; at least when you meet with them in person. I keep working with them because their prices are great and so far the results have been pretty good.

However, I'm wearing my newest shirt today for the first time and while it's really good, I don't think that the latest fitting tweaks I ordered got made.

I'll say that Ram is very stubborn, but if you press him hard enough, he'll submit to your requests. Henry (I think that's his name), is much easier to work with because anytime he has any doubt or question, he just calls Joe and then Joe will tell him whats up.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consider it a pretty big red flag when a tailor is not transparent and upfront about pricing, tries to upsell me on more items or more expensive fabrics, tries to talk me out of a superior construction method because it is not "necessary," or delivers something other than what I ordered as is not immediately willing to fix it. In my very limited experience with these kinds of outfits, they deliver sub-par items that are not worth the price. If they are trying to cut corners on such apparent things like canvassing, do you think they are not cutting corners on other less apparent parts of your jacket? It sounds to me like Hemrajani is not quite as bad as some others in this regard, but why patronize an outfit with whom you must always be meticulously specific and watchful if you wish a desirable result? You are certainly not going to get more than what you paid for there.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I consider it a pretty big red flag when a tailor is not transparent and upfront about pricing, tries to upsell me on more items or more expensive fabrics, tries to talk me out of a superior construction method because it is not "necessary," or delivers something other than what I ordered as is not immediately willing to fix it. In my very limited experience with these kinds of outfits, they deliver sub-par items that are not worth the price. If they are trying to cut corners on such apparent things like canvassing, do you think they are not cutting corners on other less apparent parts of your jacket? It sounds to me like Hemrajani is not quite as bad as some others in this regard, but why patronize an outfit with whom you must always be meticulously specific and watchful if you wish a desirable result? You are certainly not going to get more than what you paid for there.

I agree. I haven't ordered from Hemrajani in 18 months. Jantzen and Chan satisfy my needs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads